Exclusive OFFICIAL: "What the Blazers SHOULD have done" thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by PtldPlatypus, Jun 23, 2017.

?

What is your reaction to last night's draft

1. Happy with both the trade up for Collins and the selection of Swanigan

71.2%
  2. Happy with Collins, but we should have taken someone else at 26

22.0%
  3. Happy with Swanigan, but we should have taken someone else at 10

1.7%
  4. Happy with Swanigan, but we shouldn't have traded 15/20 for 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Happy with the trade, but we should have taken different players at both 10 and 26

3.4%
  6. I didn't like anything Olshey did last night.

1.7%
  1. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

No, because Collins seems to have the mobility and range necessary to play the modern NBA PF game on both ends of the court. If you can get the skillset you're seeking in a taller, longer package, why wouldn't you?

BonesJones and Duckhook like this.
  2. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    I think you are absolutely right. Hopefully Collins can coexist with Nurkic. Seems like they should fit, given Collins' footspeed and three point shooting, but you don't really know how he'll develop.

I think Collins could be an unconventional 3-and-D type player. Maybe more similar to a late-stage Rasheed Wallace, but with hopefully a more accurate three point shot.

BonesJones likes this.
  3. Duckhook

Duckhook Well-Known Member

We needed length and girth at the 4 and backup 5 and Neil accomplished this. I like both picks.

Hobbesarable likes this.
  4. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

I like the addition of both guys. Collins is essentially our PFOTF and will see time at the 4/5 spots. Swanigan is a big body we can also use at the 4/5 spots.

These selections also make Meyers Leonard expendable and available as trade fodder for a perimeter defender hopefully capable of defending at the 1/2/3 spots.

I am totally down with our selections, but I think we could have taken a flier on a potentially good perimeter defender in the 2nd round. All things considered, I am a happy Blazer fan!

Denny Crane likes this.
  5. 1eyejack

1eyejack Active Member

Love the picks, can't wait to see Nurk and Collins at same time. Both very high be iq should work great hi low offense.

I like that we are going different direction then rest of league. No one will be as good as GS so don't try and match them go big and see if you can cause problems for them. Nice part about Collins is he's mobile so he shouldn't have a problem guarding perimeter players while supplying help side defense.

SlyPokerDog and Hobbesarable like this.
  6. 42N8Bounce

42N8Bounce Red Hot And Rebuilding

I absolutely love both picks.

I think Collins was the best player available, and will be a solid starter in this league for years to come.

Swanigan was the exact type of pick I was looking for at 26. In that range, you look for a player that does a couple of things really well, and hope to build off of that. Most players after the top 15 have holes in their games. Swanigan's weakness is clearly slowness on defense. But wow - 18.5 ppg, 12.5 rpg, 3.0 apg. That's an exciting base to build from.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    Pridan, Strenuus, Chris Craig and 3 others like this.
  7. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I know he was hitting threes, but he didn't look like he had NBA range. It seemed like the trajectory was a little low on even the college three point line.

BonesJones likes this.
  8. 1eyejack

1eyejack Active Member

It's what happens when your standing reach is over 9'3"

9. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

I LOVE both picks. Biggie Swanigan will be one of the hardest workers on the team.

Jonah Bolden is the only other guy I think we should have looked at. Did he even come to a workout?

BonesJones likes this.
  10. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

That's Collins. I'm talking about Swanigan.

11. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Also, the fact that these picks CONFIRM that Butters will not see much PT and may be gone before the season starts, make them even better and more valuable. Both will be better than Butters.

12. 1eyejack

1eyejack Active Member

Oh lol my bad

13. Blazers Roy

Blazers Roy Well-Known Member

Swanigan reminds me of a past player, but i can't put my finger on it...
    A fat pf who can shoot threes ... Rodney Rogers??

14. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

The picks don't bother me really, but the strategy is kind of a head scratcher. I would have preferred to see trades for an established vet and/or shedding some salary -- assuming there were trade(s) to be made (which I concede may not have been the case). Whatever. Maybe these guys will be meaningful contributors in 2 or 3 years?

I'll reserve judgment until the off-season is resolved and we see if Neil can offload some of these negative value contracts; guys like Meyers, Turner, et al.

Natebishop3 likes this.
  15. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Seems like NO did really well this draft. I like it that we now have considerable depth at PF and C, with three of those guys (at least) with serious upside.

Vonleh, Swaniga, and Davis behind Nurk and Collins

We were seriously exposed when Nurk went out with his injury. That ended.

NO seems to have made decent picks late in the draft. I believe Swaniga is going to pan out quite nicely.

Of course later on, with 20-20 hindsight, NO might have made better choices. But these are our guys.

Welcome to Portland!

Chris Craig and dviss1 like this.
  16. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Awwww C'mon bruh.... That's cold... Rodney Rogers was YOKED. He didn't gain that much weight until his accident man...

17. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

how do you know we didn't?

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  18. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I'm happy with both Collins and Swanigan. I wanted Semi at the 26th, everyone else at the party wanted Bell. But, I am ok with Swanigan, guy is a hard working big man exactly what we need.

19. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    My uninformed opinion:

We slightly overpaid to move up to 10, but sometimes you have to overpay to get what you want. By that I mean, I think 15+26 would have been a fair price for 10, but the Blazers wanted their guy badly enough that they gave a little more. Or maybe they figured there were enough targeted prospects in the 20-26 "tier" that it wasn't an overpay at all.

I think Zach Collins is exactly the type of player they wanted, and needed, and a bit of a steal at 10. He seems to have all the tools to be a modern PF, who can also play backup center, and with a bit of a bull dog attitude. The question is when, not if, he passes Vonleh (who I still like).

The Swanigan pick at 26 surprised me. Based on all the player analysis posted by the experts on S2, there were other guys on the board I thought we'd take ahead of him. The very first words out of my mouth were: "Can he play defense?". Followed quickly by the on-air analysis that no, he can't. We'll see I guess. At least he's a stud rebounder and should be adequate offensively. I've read countless times that "rebounding is a skill that translates to the NBA", so it must be true.

My only real disappointment was that I'd hoped we'd purchase or trade for a second round pick to grab Bell or another good player. Still disappointed by that, and pissed Bell went to GS.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    42N8Bounce likes this.
  20. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

FIFY

dviss1 likes this.