Offseason Free Agency and Trades Thread

Discussion in 'Toronto Raptors' started by og15, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

The Raptors seem to be intent on adding another PG, I see no reason for them to not pursue Jarrett Jack. The Blazers already have Sebastian Telfair and Juan Dixon, so they really don't need another developing guard on their roster. The Blazers would like to unload some of their hefty contracts, namely Theo Ratliff & Ruben Patterson. The Raptors have expiring contracts to offer, and might be willing to take Theo Ratliff, since the Raptors need a center. Jarrett Jack and Chris Bosh will have immediate chemistry, and should make negotiations easier when he becomes a free agent. Get a chance to play on the same team as one of your best friends is always a plus.

Ruben Patterson will be a great mentor for Joey Graham, and brings toughness to the Raptors.

Theo Ratliff is a class act, and has never complained about lack of playing time or being part of a rebuilding process. He should start right away for the Raptors and give them immediate help in the paint. He's still one of the best shotblockers in the league.

<u>Raptors Receive</u>
    Jarrett Jack
    Theo Ratliff
    Ruben Patterson

<u>Blazers Receive</u>
    Jalen Rose
    Lamond Murray

It works on realGM and helps out both teams for the long and short term.

This trade allows the Raptors to add a core piece and a proven compliment player to Chris Bosh. Plus it gives them immediate improvement on defense.

Portland unloads two contracts, and despite taking Jalen Rose's contract in return, his expires a year earlier than Ratliff's. Also Rose can backup 3 positions on the Blazers and Murray saves the Blazers $5Million, and would likely just be waived.

2. VinKanaddy

VinKanaddy JBB JustBBall Member

As much as I'd love to have Jack and Bosh on the same team, I'm split on your scenario. If the trade happens, we're going to have Alston, Calderon and Jack at the point and they all deserve playing time, not to mention we will have Roko Ukic brought over in 2 years. Ratliff's contract doesn't go along with what Babcock stands for: Capspace in 2007.

3. Shapecity

It's amazing how many teams are gearing up for 2007 free agency, when there's more impact players in the 2008 free agent market. Ratliff will be in the final year of his contract by 2007, making it easier to trade him to a contending team. If the Raptors want to get a quality big man they are going to have to pay at least $10M a season to land one. I just don't see them being a major player in the 2007 market when they have to eventually shell out some money to their young core of Bosh-CV3-Graham. Chris Bosh will want a max offer, and I'm sure CV3 and Graham are going to demand a lot once their rookie contracts expire. Who in 2007 is worth risking losing one of these players?

Adding Jack does create a logjam, but the Raptors can trade away players who don't fit in their rebuilding. Jack is a combo guard, so he's capable of playing PG or SG. Roko Ukic is gone for at least 2 years, and he might actually be better off as a SG when he finally comes over. Either way the Raptors future backcourt is set with Jack and Ukic.

I have no idea what the Raptors can get or would want for Alston. I just don't do see him having a future with the team or fitting in witht he direction the team is rebuilding in.

4. VinKanaddy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">It's amazing how many teams are gearing up for 2007 free agency, when there's more impact players in the 2008 free agent market. Ratliff will be in the final year of his contract by 2007, making it easier to trade him to a contending team. If the Raptors want to get a quality big man they are going to have to pay at least $10M a season to land one. I just don't see them being a major player in the 2007 market when they have to eventually shell out some money to their young core of Bosh-CV3-Graham. Chris Bosh will want a max offer, and I'm sure CV3 and Graham are going to demand a lot once their rookie contracts expire. Who in 2007 is worth risking losing one of these players?

Adding Jack does create a logjam, but the Raptors can trade away players who don't fit in their rebuilding. Jack is a combo guard, so he's capable of playing PG or SG. Roko Ukic is gone for at least 2 years, and he might actually be better off as a SG when he finally comes over. Either way the Raptors future backcourt is set with Jack and Ukic.

I have no idea what the Raptors can get or would want for Alston. I just don't do see him having a future with the team or fitting in witht he direction the team is rebuilding in.</div>

Jamaal Magloire would be a safe target in 2007. You have to consider the fact that we can extend Bosh's contract after we've used up the capspace since we have his bird rights. Graham and Villanueva aren't eligible for an extension until 2008.

5. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting VinKanaddy:</div><div class="quote_post">Jamaal Magloire would be a safe target in 2007. You have to consider the fact that we can extend Bosh's contract after we've used up the capspace since we have his bird rights. Graham and Villanueva aren't eligible for an extension until 2008.</div>

Jamaal Magloire is a realistic target, but they should have enough to sign him even if Ratliff was on their roster. They have plenty to spend as it is in '07.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Graham and Villanueva aren't eligible for an extension until 2008.</div>

Exactly, which is why the Raptors can't go crazy in '07 spending on free agents. And when 2008 comes around, Ratliff's contract conveniently expires.

6. VinKanaddy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Exactly, which is why the Raptors can't go crazy in '07 spending on free agents. And when 2008 comes around, Ratliff's contract conveniently expires.</div>

Why not? Graham and Villanueva are just the same as Bosh. We retain their bird rights and can re-sign them regardless of our cap situation. The only significant moves I can foresee in the summer of 2007 are:

1. Signing Magloire
    2. Bringing over Roko Ukic
    3. Extending Bosh's contract

7. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting VinKanaddy:</div><div class="quote_post">Why not? Graham and Villanueva are just the same as Bosh. We retain their bird rights and can re-sign them regardless of our cap situation. The only significant moves I can foresee in the summer of 2007 are:

1. Signing Magloire
    2. Bringing over Roko Ukic
    3. Extending Bosh's contract</div>

I already said, signing Magloire is still open even if they have Theo Ratliff. Even with Ratliff, they are well under the salary cap. They could even max out Magloire and still be just fine.

8. urbannomad23

urbannomad23 JBB JustBBall Member

This is my plan, if i were babcock. A lot of ppl of raps fans are wanting to get rid of rose and his big contract but who are u gonna trade him for? the same or close to $ value. why not throw in some other players in the mix..

The only way we can get rid of rose is by getting another old person who is overpaid. such as eddie jones or keith van horn. I wouldnt want van horn as he is basically another PF.

I would try to land eddie jones and try to unload some player as well. One idea i had was this. It might work if babcock turns the memphis organizatio on to the possibility of a veteran, leader, backup role player. as Rose is.

Memphis Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Dahntay Jones
    6-6 SG from Duke
    4.5 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 0.4 apg in 12.5 minutes
    Bobby Jackson
    6-1 PG from Minnesota
    12.0 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 2.4 apg in 21.4 minutes
    Eddie Jones
    6-6 SG from Temple
    12.7 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 2.6 apg in 35.5 minutes
    Incoming
    Loren Woods
    7-2 C from Arizona
    3.9 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 0.4 apg in 15.8 minutes
    Aaron Williams
    6-9 PF from Xavier
    2.0 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 0.3 apg in 7.9 minutes
    Jalen Rose
    6-8 SG from Michigan
    18.5 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 2.6 apg in 33.5 minutes
    Change in team outlook: -4.8 ppg, +0.1 rpg, and -2.1 apg.

Toronto Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Loren Woods
    7-2 C from Arizona
    3.9 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 0.4 apg in 15.8 minutes
    Aaron Williams
    6-9 PF from Xavier
    2.0 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 0.3 apg in 7.9 minutes
    Jalen Rose
    6-8 SG from Michigan
    Incoming
    Dahntay Jones
    6-6 SG from Duke
    Bobby Jackson
    6-1 PG from Minnesota
    Eddie Jones
    6-6 SG from Temple
    Change in team outlook: +4.8 ppg, -0.1 rpg, and +2.1 apg.

Successful Scenario
    Due to Memphis and Toronto being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Memphis and Toronto had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

also, consider this:

Toronto Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    DeAndre Hulett (No idea who he is)
    - from
    No games yet played in 2004/05
    Matt Bonner
    6-10 PF from Florida
    7.2 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.6 apg in 18.9 minutes
    Rafer Alston
    6-2 PG from Frenso State
    14.2 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 6.4 apg in 34.0 minutes
    Jalen Rose
    6-8 SG from Michigan
    Incoming
    Sergei Lishouk
    6-11 from Ukrane
    Dahntay Jones
    6-6 SG from Duke
    Bobby Jackson
    6-1 PG from Minnesota
    Eddie Jones
    6-6 SG from Temple
    Change in team outlook: -10.7 ppg, -0.6 rpg, and -4.2 apg.

Memphis Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Sergei Lishouk
    6-11 from Ukrane
    Dahntay Jones
    6-6 SG from Duke
    Bobby Jackson
    6-1 PG from Minnesota
    Eddie Jones
    6-6 SG from Temple
    Incoming
    DeAndre Hulett
    - from
    Matt Bonner
    6-10 PF from Florida
    Rafer Alston
    6-2 PG from Frenso State
    14.2 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 6.4 apg in 34.0 minutes
    Jalen Rose
    6-8 SG from Michigan
    Change in team outlook: +10.7 ppg, +0.6 rpg, and +4.2 apg.

Successful Scenario
    Due to Toronto and Memphis being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Toronto and Memphis had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Throw in a couple of draft picks and i say go for it. And Toronto dont get too attached to players! I'll admit i love matt bonner but i would trade him if i could get the chance to get better players, rather than just 1 great player.

9. Carcharias

Carcharias JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting urbannomad23:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Eddie Jones
    6-6 SG from Temple
    </div>

Jerry West really likes Eddie Jones, that's why he traded for him. I don't think it would happen.

10. Drake Remoray

Drake Remoray JBB JustBBall Member

Does anybody have any new trade ideas that would help the Raptors out?

One I've been thinking about was Moe Petterson and Loren Woods for Tony Battie and possibly a 1st round draft pick.

Battie fits with the Raptors in that he has defensive skills at the center position and if he doesn't work out, is an expiring contract. The Orlando get a filler at center as well as Moe Petterson at SG. I don't know enough about to Magic's situation right now to know if they would give up the 1st round draft pick, so any input would be great [​IMG] The justification for losing Moe Petterson at SG would be that we can still play Jalen Rose from that position and in the upcoming draft, there seem to be a lot of good shooting guards that could replace Morris Petterson.

Raptors lineup could then be:

C: Tony Battie
    PF: Chris Bosh
    SF: Joey Graham
    SG: Jalen Rose
    PG: Mike James

Trade ID: 2659816.

11. PlaTsanity

PlaTsanity JBB JustBBall Member

^ not a bad idea..the only thing that makes it good is the first round pick IMO
    and how many years does battie have left on his contract?

12. rafy

rafy JBB JustBBall Member

We didn't want to trade Mo for Magloire, I don't see why we would do this now.

13. MAKEOUTCITY

MAKEOUTCITY JBB JustBBall Member

I would like Mo to stay with the Raps...but if there is a center the Raps should pursue, its got to be Magloire or that wicked white dude from the Blazers (the young guy).

14. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

^ Joel Przybilla

15. PlaTsanity

PlaTsanity JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Chutney:</div><div class="quote_post">^ Joel Przybilla</div>

i dont really like Joel Przybilla
    you cant depend on him to be solid everyday

16. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

With Hoffa starting at center, its not like we can be picky about who we want.

17. Drake Remoray

Drake Remoray JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting PlaTsanity:</div><div class="quote_post">^ not a bad idea..the only thing that makes it good is the first round pick IMO
    and how many years does battie have left on his contract?</div>

It expires after this season. So we can resign him or let him go.

18. urbannomad23

urbannomad23 JBB JustBBall Member

Toronto Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Morris Peterson
    6-7 SG from Michigan State
    12.6 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 2.1 apg in 30.6 minutes
    Matt Bonner
    6-10 PF from Florida
    Darrick Martin
    5-11 PG from UCLA
    3.8 ppg, 0.9 rpg, 2.5 apg in 17.3 minutes
    Jalen Rose
    6-8 SG from Michigan
    Incoming
    Jackie Butler
    6-10 PF from Coastal Christian Academy (HS)
    3.3 ppg, 0.0 rpg, 0.0 apg in 1.7 minutes
    Nate Robinson
    5-9 from Washington
    Jerome James
    7-1 C from Florida A&M
    4.9 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 0.2 apg in 16.7 minutes
    Anfernee Hardaway
    6-7 SG from Memphis
    7.3 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 2.0 apg in 24.2 minutes
    Change in team outlook: -26.6 ppg, -6.6 rpg, and -5.6 apg.

New York Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Jackie Butler
    6-10 PF from Coastal Christian Academy (HS)
    3.3 ppg, 0.0 rpg, 0.0 apg in 1.7 minutes
    Nate Robinson
    5-9 from Washington
    Jerome James
    7-1 C from Florida A&M
    4.9 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 0.2 apg in 16.7 minutes
    Anfernee Hardaway
    6-7 SG from Memphis
    7.3 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 2.0 apg in 24.2 minutes
    Incoming
    Morris Peterson
    6-7 SG from Michigan State
    12.6 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 2.1 apg in 30.6 minutes
    Matt Bonner
    6-10 PF from Florida
    Darrick Martin
    5-11 PG from UCLA
    3.8 ppg, 0.9 rpg, 2.5 apg in 17.3 minutes
    Jalen Rose
    6-8 SG from Michigan
    Change in team outlook: +26.6 ppg, +6.6 rpg, and +5.6 apg.

Successful Scenario
    Due to Toronto and New York being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Toronto and New York had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.