Offseason plan by Run BJM

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Run BJM, May 1, 2005.

1. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

And when does Foyl's BYC end? I may be on to sometihng to move him. Muhahah

EDIT: New warrior lineup:

PG-Baron/Ward/Robinson
    SG-Richardson/Pietrus/Cheany
    SF-Williamson/(Draft Pick since most of the BPAs are SF/PFs)/Cheany
    PF-Murphy/Biedrins/Draft Pick
    C-Mohammed/Foyle/Biedrins
    And Skita may or may not be resigned and can play 3 postitions.

EDIT 2: For those of you who clicked on the 5th page and dont know what the hell is going on, read my latest post which is the last post on pg. 4 of this thread.

2. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

The Big Nasty is our starting small forward? Are you serious?

... I guess if we're trying to invert our offense...

I'm not a fan of the idea really.

3. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

I would rather simply grab the best pg available round 2 than take Ward who is overpaid and of little value. N Mohammed and Williamson? We give Dunleavy and a high #1 for that package? ouch. Oh,we give Zarko too? Has Nazr tuned into a superstar while I was asleep? We aren't doing that for Corliss,and it can't much help cap-wise. If Diogu is too tweener,how is Corliss going to help?

4. REREM

Skita won't be back unless at a very minimal contract. Maybe in europe he can play 3 positions but it seems in the NBA he can play none. If we have an extra roster spot we could try Juan Mendez,Deng Gai,Travis Diener

5. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

I agree that those are somewhat plausible, but I'm not enthused by the idea enough to pull the trigger.

The first trade would be tough to pull off. First, because Brent's been playing better ball. Second, because his contract is less. Third, because in drafting late, San Antonio is among the best evaluators at that stage. It's likely to get someone who will contribute. Considering the depth of players as well, they're likely to find someone they don't mind taking.

For the second trade, I agree with Rerem. Might as well draft the 2nd rounder instead of getting Ward.

But in any case, there seem to be a ton of point guards that may go undrafted. The mock draft round 2 here has a lot of them falling (Daniel Ewing is around where we pick, and Aaron Miles, Will Conroy, Julius Hodge, Filiberto Rivera, Chris Thomas and Anthony Roberson fall out or nearly out of the draft in their projection. Thomas and Roberson are probably not getting drafted and Roberson has the option to return to college if he doesn't hire an agent.) In almost any case I'd take one of them if we needed a backup point, letting them fight it out at the summer league.

6. Run BJM

Well usually when someone makes a trade, we all think that we are on the better end of the deal, this seemed pretty fair IMO. Thats a pretty good lineup if you ask me. Mohammed is pretty good on bothsides of the ball and I think everyone knows that we will prbably never get rid of Fish and Foyle. And Pietrus could play the 3 if Corliss is somehow as horrible as you say.

I guess I'll have to think the next one through a little more. When does Foyle's BYC end?

7. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Run BJM:</div><div class="quote_post">Well usually when someone makes a trade, we all think that we are on the better end of the deal, this seemed pretty fair IMO. Thats a pretty good lineup if you ask me. Mohammed is pretty good on bothsides of the ball and I think everyone knows that we will prbably never get rid of Fish and Foyle. And Pietrus could play the 3 if Corliss is somehow as horrible as you say.

I guess I'll have to think the next one through a little more. When does Foyle's BYC end?</div>
    I would not do it. Biedrins would have to be a third string starter and Zarko is great for us

8. REREM

I probably like the Foyle-Andy center team more than most. I'd go out on a limb probably to obtain T Chandler. I guess there might be a very few other cener/big man types where I'd give a lot,but Nazr,at most is only a mild upgrade,and until this year,would not have even had any edge. I could see trying to get Jerome James,an unrestricted,who is a BIG big man. We'd need a salary shedding pre-deal to do that,I'd guess. For a team that wants to go up tempo,corliss is not a good fit, and Zarko is improving as Corliss is declining,Z also is a fairly cheap contract. As Zhone mentions,there should be rd 2 backup PG's,even a few unpicked guys. PG has been a spot where guys who were underrated tend to surprise.

9. Custodianrules2

Foyle does give us some good last line of defense type blocking, but we better hope Andris Biedrins can get polished real soon because no team has ever done well in the playoffs without a solid 5 man rotation that can play defense and score some. Only Ben Wallace was the type of guy that could deliver enough defensive presence to make up for his lack of scoring and his poor ft %. Even with that solid 5 man rotation, depth is also important and I can see Adonal being a fine, quality backup later on. Guards on the other hand, their age tends to stand out more as they struggle to keep up with the younger players. Unless, the guy shoots like Reggie, it makes you wonder how far you can go if the other opponent's highest scoring guard is just beating your guy senseless.

10. upsidedownside7

upsidedownside7 JBB JustBBall Member

Chandler's not coming. A frontline of him and Beans would be unstoppable but Chicago would be insane to let him go. They can match up to any offer since they have his rights. Even if they did agree to a sign + trade we'd have to send back salary close to Chandler's salary. We know Chicago would ask for JRich & Murphy since they asked for Murphy (last year before Murphy signed his deal for Curry) and Richardson (numerous times) but their both BYC so that trade is almost impossible.

11. Run BJM

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting upsidedownside7:</div><div class="quote_post">Chandler's not coming. A frontline of him and Beans would be unstoppable but Chicago would be insane to let him go. They can match up to any offer since they have his rights. Even if they did agree to a sign + trade we'd have to send back salary close to Chandler's salary. We know Chicago would ask for JRich & Murphy since they asked for Murphy (last year before Murphy signed his deal for Curry) and Richardson (numerous times) but their both BYC so that trade is almost impossible.</div>

I agree, theres almost no way we are getting Chandler. I also think he is a little overrated but I've mostly only seen him play in a few regular season games and all of his post season games. This guy is arguably worse than Foyle on offense but his defense is definately as good as everyone says. If he adds 20+ pounds of muscle this guy will be a beast.

12. REREM

I see the Bulls -MAYBE-looking at what has been mentioned here,a wave of expiring rookie deals-and they include their top starters. Without full info on their situation,it is a bit speculative,but then I assumed we'd need to give up a lot to get Baron,that we'd get a lot trading Jamison,so surprises happen as the guys running teams have agenda,perspectives,that vary. Chandler would be getting fat $,if not superstar $. What I saw recently was much improved offense inside. Earlier he had seemed to like the midrange J,but not have the whole deal in close. I saw a few plays that were just freaky,and it upped his value for me. I already had felt he was an emerging star,but I saw this hangtime -double clutch semi-hook thing he made a few days back-and its what you might see from some midsizer,J-Rich,Kobe,Pietrus.Vince-but not a 7 footer. I felt he stepped up a level as an offensive player. As to bulk,maybe +10 pounds would be good,but I would not look to bulk him up a lot and looks that quickness. He already gets rebounds,is good on D....and Shaq is back East,so I like that he runs like a small F. As to $ issues,cap,on our end,there's a trade exemption that can get applied,right?
    I am reluctant to speculate on what the Bulls would ask for,I would expect to need to put on the table something i would otherwise not consider. I figure this is a small window of opportunity,a long shot at ever happening but worth a look.

13. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

Well, it would be darn nice to have defensive PF, who can block shots. However, chance of getting Chandler is probably smaller than me winning a lottory, so you can safely scratch about that.

First, in order for Chandler to be available, Bulls must say "OK, he is too rich for our taste, so you can seek for sign and trade", since they are happy with Chandler's play/development, and will have number of rookies to sign eventually. Unfortunately, most GMs think about now more than later, and with success they had, it's highly unlikely that they will abandon one of key players.

Second, Chandler will most likely demand double figure mils contract, and that's something we just can't afford.

Third, even if he is available for sign and trade, what can we offer? Obviously, they won't take heavy salary back, because if they can, they can just resign Chandler. So, you can scratch half our roster, including Murphy, Foyle, Fisher. And, they won't accept ending contract, since they can just not do sign and trade, and we don't have any anyway. So, that leaves Dunleavy, Pietrus, Biedrins, and Zarko, and even if we combine those 4 players' contract, I am not sure it will come close to Chandler's contract. So, even if Chandler is available, we have no right chips to play...

14. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kwan1031:</div><div class="quote_post">So, that leaves Dunleavy, Pietrus, Biedrins, and Zarko, and even if we combine those 4 players' contract, I am not sure it will come close to Chandler's contract. So, even if Chandler is available, we have no right chips to play...</div>
    Exactly what I'm thinking. Some team like the Lakers or Blazers could offer way more if they wanted to.

15. Zhone

Even if Chicago doesn't want Chandler, there are seven teams that could offer him more than the MLE. For most free agents, there are at least 9 teams that can chase them (8 with at least $10 million under the cap, and the 9th is the original team likely to have Bird rights). Some teams, like the Hawks and Hornets, can afford two huge contracts. Thus, that's the 12 best free agents likely to be gone, not even factoring in players likely to resign with their current team.

That's quite a lot of possible competition for the few veteran established players who want to experience a new change of scenrery. Competition is heavier among big men like Chandler, given the relative dearth of solid big men available either through the draft or through free agency. That's why my goals for upgrades next season via either of these routes is modest at best.

So, not to be a big downer or anything, but as everyone else has already noted, a big name such as Chandler will be a tough sell. The Warriors will have to be in the market for risks and sleepers, and even then, those sleepers might not get enough minutes because they'll have to be clearly better than the unit we've already been putting on the floor.

16. Zhone

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Run BJM:</div><div class="quote_post">When does Foyle's BYC end?</div>

I forgot to answer this question, and for some reason I thought it had been answered. Foyle's BYC ends in July this year, (one year after he signed his original contract) allowing him to be traded under normal restrictions. The CBA might be changed slightly by that point, but it won't affect Foyle. Teams are able to trade at that point, but as far as free agency, that period is reserved for teams to re-sign players, and then free agency opens up further after that, letting players negotiate with any team. Thus, even for teams asking about Foyle, it's unlikely that Foyle will get traded that early unless a team is sold on his services, as a team will likely try to go after a few free agents before settling with a trade for someone like Foyle.

17. Run BJM

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Zhone:</div><div class="quote_post">I forgot to answer this question, and for some reason I thought it had been answered. Foyle's BYC ends in July this year, (one year after he signed his original contract) allowing him to be traded under normal restrictions. The CBA might be changed slightly by that point, but it won't affect Foyle. Teams are able to trade at that point, but as far as free agency, that period is reserved for teams to re-sign players, and then free agency opens up further after that, letting players negotiate with any team. Thus, even for teams asking about Foyle, it's unlikely that Foyle will get traded that early unless a team is sold on his services, as a team will likely try to go after a few free agents before settling with a trade for someone like Foyle.</div>

thanks.

18. REREM

I would not seek Chandler to be a F,but a center,and I am sure it's a long shot,but they also need to deal with Curry. Chandler's scoring avg is nothing fancy-though late season he showed a lot more. You can't say,I scored 10 a game...pay me like Duncan.
    I agree,it's a very slim chance but the W's should probe the possibilities and see what the Bull's are thinking.

19. Custodianrules2

I think Biedrins is already too much like Tyson Chandler, so we don't really need another Chandler do we? We need some darn post players capable of getting doubled and passing well from the outlet, in addition to being able to jog down the floor at least as well as Dampier did. Since that is so hard to find in this league, it's a given that teams will want to hold onto such players, except if they dont' play any defense i.e. Shareef, Marcus Fizer, Zyldrunas Illgauskus, etc. If the Blazers plan on dealing Zach Randolph or Utah deals boozer, I don't know if I'd like that either because neither passes well from the low block and Randolph is just plain unathletic and lazy on defense and overpaid and Boozer is just overpaid and might not like being teammates with Jrich after he bounced the ball off Boozer's dome back to himself for a 3 point shot during the rookie allstar-game. Defense from the power forward spot is definitely important, though.