Offseason Plan

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Scalma, May 19, 2015.

1. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Rozier would be a terrible fit next to CJ and relying on Upshaw would be risky.. Not really an upgrade from last year.. Probably a downgrade

2. oldfisherman

oldfisherman Unicorn Wrangler

If Lopez does not come back, here is a fresh idea.

Sign FA Kevin Seraphin. Let him compete against Kaman and Freeland for the starting C job.

Seraphin, 25 years old, has played in more than 300 NBA games over 5 seasons with the Wizards. He is hungry to be a starter, and is ready to have a break out season. He is very athletic, plays both O & D in the paint, a good rebounder, and a decent free throw shooter. His game would be a good fit next to LMA.

He would cost much less than Lopez, and is the right age to fit in with Lillard’s development. Annnnnnd, he has played a lot with Batum on the French National Team.

3. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

Rozier can play D, slash and shoot. That's better than Blake. Fitting next to CJ isn't an issue because he likely won't be playing with him. Upshaw has length and can play D, he basically would be in Meyers role last season. This would be my rotation:

Dame (36) / Rozier (12)
    Wes (24) / CJ (24)
    Batum (28) / Aminu (20)
    LA (32) / Meyers (16)
    RoLo (24) / Meyers (6) / Upshaw (8)

Blake, Crabbe, Wright and Freeland can chill most nights.

4. BonesJones

In your scenario, I'd rather keep Kaman, draft Hollis Jefferson and sign CJ Watson

PG Lillard(36)/Watson(16)
    SG Wes(18)/McCollum(26)/Lillard(4)
    SF Batum(30)/Hollis-Jeff(8)/Wes(10)
    PF Aldridge(34)/Meyers(14)
    C Lopez(26)/Kaman(16)/Meyers(6)

Still think we could find a way to upgrade more, but Watson/HollisJeff/Kaman > Rozier/Aminu/Upshaw IMO

5. oldfisherman

I am firmly on the side of bringing everyone back, especially LMA.

If LMA re-signs with the Blazers, and Rolo does not come back, I am not sold on the idea of bringing in a C on a max or near max contract, such as Hibbert, Monroe, or Jordan. I believe it would be a waste of cap space that would be used better to improve the bench.

Reason.
    Take a look at the last two centers the Blazers signed, Rolo and JJ Hickson. Rolo was almost given away by his two former teams, JJ was given away. Rolo had his break out season in his 6th season, playing next to LMA. JJ had his break out season in his 5th season, playing next to LMA. Both players played important contributing roles for the Blazers, and both had their break out season playing next to LMA.

My point is, if LMA stays, we do not need a max type center. We just need a serviceable veteran center on a cheap contract.

I hope Rolo re-signs with the Blazers, if not; I believe signing a 5 year veteran, such as Kevin Seraphin, to a cheap contract will work again. It has worked well in the past for the Blazers. I believe Seraphin is ripe to have his break out season, his 6th season, if he signs with the right team, the same way JJ and Rolo did.

Seraphin is a very active player in the paint. He plays good paint D, and is much more mobile than Rolo. He can rebound almost as well as JJ, but does not put out the welcome to the paint mat for the other team the way JJ did.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
    UKRAINEFAN and BBert like this.
  6. BonesJones

if playing next to LMA makes those guys good, imagine how well a max center would play. Hickson is back to his old value now, he had one good year. So if LA makes average centers good, imagine what hell do for a great center.

7. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

I think Leonard should get some starts at center next season. We could do some real damage with LA and him playing the high-low game.

8. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Who's playing "low"?

UKRAINEFAN and Orion Bailey like this.
  9. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

LA, Meyers is a better Passer and shooter.

10. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

I agree with the last part. But LMA isn't the sort of player who can establish low position, receive a pass, and flip the ball through the hoop. His "low" game consists of getting the ball about 18' away from the hoop, then trying to back down into the paint. Leonard/Monroe would provide a much better high/low game.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  11. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Thats what we said about Last years Lineup also. For a while It was fun but you cant blame everything on Injurys.

12. oldfisherman

Yup, JJ is back to his old self. Which begs the question, if Rolo changes teams, will his effectiveness also decline to it’s former self?

To answer your question, I am not sure how well a max type center would work playing next to LMA? The reason is, player egos enter the picture, as well as sharing touches. LMA wants to be the first option, not the second or third. LMA is sensitive about certain issues.

What I would like to see is a max player playing his game in a way that increases LMA’s efficiency instead of the LMA improving the player playing center.

We would all like to have 15 max caliber players on the roster. Let Mr. Allen pay 6 bazillion dollars a season in luxury tax if it means winning a championship. My point is, the Blazers have found a formula that works at finding centers with this roster. If some team overpays Rolo, all Olshey has to do is fine tune the system a little by adding the right center to a long cheap contract.

For a Rolo replacement, I would rather buy low on a player that is still developing than to buy high on a player that will be entering the down hill side of his career.

BBert and Orion Bailey like this.
  13. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

I like Kosta Koufus as a Rolo replace

oldfisherman likes this.
  14. BigGameDamian

I just have a feeling Neil Knows something we dont and the Blazers are preparing for Aldridge to bolt. Hope I'm wrong but it wouldn't surprise me.

15. BonesJones

Bolt where exactly?

16. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I have a feeling this board knows diddly and is giving everyone the gut feeling that he is bolting. Everybody around here wants him to make a statement, but it has been said several times in several threads by several people that LMA would be foolish to make such a statement. He has earned his free agency and why wouldn't he entertain all offers and options before just resigning? Its the smart thing to do and if anyone thinks less of LMA for it, then they aren't a true fan. A true fan would respect his position as possibly being the ONLY time he has this type of leverage and value.
    He may bolt, he may not, but some people on this board are ridiculously nervous because he hasn't made a clear statement.
    Isnt that almost like being a short timer or a fair weather fan?

Where is the faith?
    I truly believe Portland's typical mentality that the glass is half empty instead of half full can be a part of what might drive/keep players/free agents out of this town.

Why aren't Portland fans more positive minded? Is it the rain? Ive lived in the NW most of my life and I don't let it get me down. So many things seem to be such a negativity from so many people on here.

Sorry, but I am growing weary of the F*** LMA if he leaves, blah blah blah. LMA hasn't made a comment so he is gonna screw the Blazers... Blah Blah Blah.

Wish I had more time in my life to be able to sit on a forum and just try to stir shit up for entertainment/fear factor sake. ;)

BGD, not trying to single you out, but your "feeling" (as much as you have the right to feel), was the icing on my cake of, ohhh gawwwd. here we go again... the doomsday. The world is ending. we will never see the sun again.
    Twist that feeling around and find some positive out of what LMA is doing, not negative. :)

Okay. My rant is done. Please continue with the worst case scenarios that everyone is loving to discuss. Thanks for reading and not putting me on ignore. lol

17. BigGameDamian

San Antonio? Dallas? Cleavland?

18. BigGameDamian

Resign everyone...that's all we should be talking about!

19. oldfisherman

Agree, Koufus would be a perfect fit next to LMA, and wants a chance to be a starter.

20. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Uh huh.