Offseason Plan

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Scalma, May 19, 2015.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Wouldn't it better to trade everyone rather than making them resign from playing basketball? I don't think anyone with the exception of Blake is ready to retire.

2. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Cleveland and San Antonio don't have the cap space to get it done. Dallas is a mess.. If LA went there hed have to play Center.. Plus they would have no PG and a terrible bench.. If Ellis opted out and got a $12M+ contract it'd be hard to max him.
    So realistically... Where would he go?

3. Tunchi

Tunchi Well-Known Member

I just don't get why he doesn't resign, get the most money he can and if it sucks that bad in a few years just ask for a trade

4. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    A player that showed flashes, like Dellavedova, is Jon Leuer.

similar slillset to MyLo.

5. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

LMA returns; crazy sign and trade for DeAndre Jordan. Send them Lopez and Afflalo. Resign Wes and Freeland. Clippers will be very interested if DeAndre thinking of leaving because it's the only means of them signing free agents. Lopez and AAA would be interested because LA is great winter city and they would likely get a bit overpaid to go there. Multiplayer sign and trades are more rare but they do happen and this is the perfect situation for it. We have the threat of just using cap space to sign DeAndre so Clippers will listen.

If DeAndre doesn't want to come here but LMA does; trade for Greg Monroe in sign and trade. Detroit likely won't be as interested in double sign and trade although them taking Afflalo would be ideal for the Blazers. But we probably have to give up Batum; which I'd do. Then resign Wes, Afflalo, maybe Lopez if his salary isn't too high. Freeland if Lopez is too expensive. Also sign free agent help at SF such as Crowder or Aminu.

If no sign and trade; resign the whole gang. LMA, Wes, Lopez, Afflalo. I would really like AAA at the 2/3 and CJ at the 1/2 off the bench! Fans always say there isn't enough PT available for good backups in the summer but when injuries hit in the season the team is in trouble.

If LMA bolts, which I find highly unlikely, sign Greg Monroe, Danny Green, Wes, Freeland. Let Lopez and Afflalo walk to get the cap space. Possibly deal Batum at the deadline if his value increases. Aim to contend a year or two later.

BigGameDamian and PtldPlatypus like this.
  6. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I'd resign everybody. We have the tools. Just need a little bit of luck.

Sedatedfork and HailBlazers like this.
  7. cmeese47

cmeese47 Well-Known Member

Here is an idea no one is talking about.

First sign Patrick Beverly Great Defense PG and keeps Houston's most glaring weakness alive
    Second Trade Batum, #23 and a conditional 1st or 2nd as needed to the Knicks for #4
    Third Draft WCS to replace Lopez, he is a much better defender and would still provide the physical center LA craves
    Fourth Sign Demarre Carroll High Energy 3 and D guy who could easily replace Batum
    Fifth Evaluate Matthews if no injury decline resign him or seek Danny Green or Gerald Green as a replacement
    Cap it off resigning LA

PG Lillard, Beverly Solid Offense Defense Combo
    SG Matthews/Green/Green, McCollum Solid 3 and D starter and improving young scorer
    SF Carroll, ? Great Hustle 3 and D guy ?-Gerald Green depending on cost would be a nice addition here if not needed at SG
    PF Aldridge/Leonard One of the best PF in the league and a young big who can stretch the floor with his range
    C Cauley-Stein/ Kaman Elite young defender and a crafty veteran

Assuming Leonard and McCollum continue to progress that team is 9-10 deep and has a great mix of offense and defense.

8. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

I like the idea, just don't think Carroll will leave Atlanta. And if he doesn't then there aren't to many other SFs to bring in. Beverly/Wes/Carroll/LMA/WCS would be a beast defensive lineup though

BigGameDamian likes this.
  9. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Bold. Contrarian. I like it.

:cheers:

10. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Haven't run the numbers, but I don't think we'd have the cap space to re-sign both Matthews and Aldridge as well as sign Carroll and Beverly.

Also, to trade Batum to NY, we'd either have to do it pre-draft, in which case we'd need to take back at least 7.8M in salary, or we'd have to do it after the moratorium, in which case the Knicks would be highly unlikely to use their cap space to trade a #4 pick for Batum. Pistons fans are pointing out that Batum's expiring contract makes him a bit less desirable of a trade asset for a rebuilding team and don't view Nic/23 as good value for the #8 pick; how much more true would that be for NY and the #4?

11. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Yeah no chance ny moves #4 for nic.

12. cmeese47

cmeese47 Well-Known Member

That is why I added the addition future first or second as needed.

13. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Batum, 23, and our unprotected 2018 and 2020 picks probably wouldn't be enough to get the #4.

14. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Good creative ideas. But I disagree. Nic on an expiring isn't enough for the #4 pick. Even if it was WCS isn't close to being a starter on a playoff team. I don't know if Towns could even do that next season. Towns will likely be an Allstar but thats 4 years from now when Aldridge will be nearing 35. The team should either build for years from now with a high lotto pick or build with vets around Aldridge; but don't try to do both.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  15. Sedatedfork

Sedatedfork Rip City Rhapsody

Didn't know where to put this, so I will put it here. Would you take a chance on Robert Upshaw? Not sure how far he will slip, but I imagine he could very well be there at #23. I listened to an interview of him yesterday, and he sounds like he has matured a lot. I am rooting for him, but I don't know if he is worth the risk. I would be really tempted to take the risk though. What say you?

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/5/21/8627453/nba-draft-2015-robert-upshaw-washington-sleeper

Edit: Now after reading the OP, I should have just made a new thread. Mods feel free to move. Or, so as to not hijack the thread, I will just say, let's resign everyone and draft Upshaw to stay on point.

16. SlyPokerDog

It's re-sign, not resign. Two different concepts. We don't want our players to resign. That means they would quit and we would get nothing for them. We want some to re-sign.

17. riverman

riverman Writing Team

The simple fix is to just say sign again. That pesky - mark can be elusive..I've typed re=sign multiple times and ended up saying fuck it.

18. oldfisherman

oldfisherman Unicorn Wrangler

I wood ad ate likes oar ten scents to sea this post reel often. But we all no this is a knot for prophet sight.

SlyPokerDog and BlazerCaravan like this.
  19. SlyPokerDog

So you're saying you've resigned yourself to say resign instead of re-sign.

riverman likes this.
  20. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Offseason plan, copied over from the other thread, now with more moves!

Portland Out: Batum, #23
    Portland In: Landry, Calderon, #6

Detroit Out: #8, Martin, Jennings
    Detroit In: Batum, #23

Sacramento Out: #6, Landry
    Sacramento In: #8, Martin

NY Out: Calderon+ something...
    NY In: Jennings

Detroit gets a starting SF, to move down 15 spots. They're fairly young, not likely in need of additional rookies, really. Especially with SVG there.

Sacramento saves a ton of salary to move down only 2 spots. I can see them maybe having to kick in a tiny more, but so be it.

We add a backup PG, backup PF, taking on salary, but with the goal of getting to 6 to land Winslow.

I'm unsure how Detroit views Tolliver, but if they wanted to shave his 3 million, send him to Sacramneto in place of Martin.

NY sheds a year off of Calderon's deal, in preparation for 2016 free agency. They need to give up something of small value for shedding the extra year, IMO, but unsure what. Future second? Cleanthony Early?

Follow up deal

Portland In: Iguodola
    GS In: Kaman, Blake, Crabbe

GS loses on talent, obviously. But Draymond's about to get a max deal. They're already well over the LT as it is. Add his max onto it, and it's a pretty steep price. By waiving Kama immediately, they save in pure salary over 7.5 million. Add in the luxury tax figures, and it's another 11.5-12 roughly. All told they save north of 15 million just this next season. Factor in the addition 11 owed Iggy, and potential LT issues then, they save over 25 million dollars.

This all if we bring everyone else back

Lillard/Wesley/Iggy/Aldridge/Rolo
    Calderon/CJ/Winslow/Landry/Leonard
    Frazier/Gee/Freeland

Draco likes this.