Offseason Plan

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Scalma, May 19, 2015.

1. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Why don't we trade #23 and Batum to Indiana for #11 and Mahinmi, draft Deckker, do that trade with Golden State, then use the MLE on CJ Watson

Lillard/Matthews/Iggy/LMA/Lopez
    CJW/CJM/Deckker/Leonard/Mahinmi

2. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

I like Winslow way more than Dekker.

3. BonesJones

Deckers going to be good bro and I don't think it's worth tying us down with bad salaries to get Winslow over Deckker

4. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

If you're bringing everyone back, which is only way I tie my down with those salaries, then I don't see it as a big issue. Assuming it's Calderon and Landry, you have 14 million in expiring deals to move next offseason to add to the roster. You're not going to have much space to do anything with anyways.

5. BonesJones

Calderon could end up being Blake 2.0 at $8M and Landry could end up only paying 5-10 minutes again at $6M.. Nobody will want those guys after that even if they're expiring. Then you have no way to improve the team so you end up with 1st/2nd round exits with LA demanding a trade after 2 years..

6. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't you rather have a SF who attacks the basket? I know Deckker will be decent, but there are a lot of tall SF's who can shoot from the 3 point line. (Which btw Deckker struggled with all year until the tourney.) Yes I know he moves well with out the ball, is a smart player, and can run straight to the basket and dunk. But I would really would rather have a SF who handles the ball a little better and has a few moves when he attacks. because in the NBA you are not going to see many opportunities where there is an open lane all the way to the hoop like he saw in college.

Having said that all that he would be OK at 23, but I am not sure he has starter potential. He really doesn't excel at anyone thing.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
    42N8Bounce likes this.
  7. damianlillard

damianlillard Well-Known Member

i would loves to trade wright, and 2018 and 2019 1st rounds picks for stanley johnson i would trade for detroit 1st pick. i think we need a guy who focus on defense, not the jack up 3 point shooter, at best he can become kawhi leonard, and at worst tony allen. and then with our pick, we should get rondae hollis-jefferson. he another defensive player. look at the spurs and GSW, a defense player really help. then trade for a 2nd round pick and get terry rozier. then resign wes and LA. sign hibbert who i think will come cheaper then jordan. get robin back if it at a reasonable price
    dame/rozier/frazier
    wes/cj
    johnson/rondae
    LA/leonard/freeland
    hibbert/robin/kaman
    this team instantly become the best team now and long term

8. BonesJones

you don't need a SF trying to cross people up. The same exact thing couldve been said about Kawhi when he was drafted. A guy that big that develops a couple dribble moves becomes really good. Which is one of the easiest thing to develop

9. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Looks like he's heading back to the NBA.

...and expecting to get paid!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  10. lawai'a

lawai'a Well-Known Member

re=resign Elliot Williams
    I know soft spot for the guy

11. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

Ugh... you just opened up a can of BGD

12. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
  13. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    As a rule, I try to avoid ESPN, but I heard a couple of things this morning that caught my attention. First was that the Knicks aren't high on anyone with the fourth pick beyond the two bigs and DeAngelo Russell. Also, Chad Ford shares my opinion on Mario Hezonja. I think he's a Peja Stojakovic clone with better playmaking skills. Ford thinks he has star potential and is the sleeper of the draft.

It's an extreme longshot, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Blazers explore using the Knicks' desire to move out of the No. 4 pick and dealing Batum to move up into the top 10. Obviously, it will take more than Batum to get that high, and, unless Phil Jackson can be convinced that Batum can start for the Knicks at the 2, his being on the Knicks roster makes no sense for them. But maybe you could get a third team involved, get the Blazers perhaps winding up at 6, 7 or 8 and getting either Hezonja or Winslow, who I think both are dynamic talents who will be superior to Batum within a couple of years.

Clearing Batum's contract off the books opens the door to sign or trade for someone who can offset his loss in the meantime, and hopefully convince Aldridge that this move won't diminish the Blazers' chances in the short term and will significantly upgrade them in the long term.

14. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    It never ceases to amaze me that people believe at the same time:
    1) Batum is crap and we've got to get rid of him
    2)Other teams will shower us with riches in order to get hold of him

dviss1 likes this.
  15. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    The kind of teams that would want Batum are not the kind of teams with high draft picks. The kind of team to whom Batum is more valuable than a rookie is a team that's (a) trying to compete, and (b) trying to convince a star FA that they're trying to compete. Guess what? That's us!

dviss1 and blue9 like this.
  16. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    The Blazers' assets that WOULD get us higher draft picks are:
    Damian Lillard
    CJ
    Maybe Leonard.

Tempted?

17. PCmor7

Saying this for years
    I hope that's not directed at my post, because I didn't say either of those things. I thought that was pretty clear from my post.

I have said on several occasions, though, that Batum is the asset that I think makes the most sense if you are going to move someone, because he doesn't perform consistently enough to justify his contract, especially in scoring, and he is a talented player that could bring you some assets back while also giving you cap room to make other moves.

You have to figure out something unless you think this team as currently comprised is good enough to get it done. I know some people feel that way. I do not. I think it is close, but I think some creative moves need to be made and maybe some risky moves to take that next step. IIRC, Jordan's Bulls his first few years had some promising supporting players that were dealt or let go to create ultimately championship teams.

You have to be careful about falling in love with your own players, because sometimes you have to let some of them go to take the next step.

BonesJones likes this.
  18. PCmor7

Saying this for years
    Don't think that's entirely true on either count.

19. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

I think we should sign Larry Johnson. He's currently a free agent.

Fez Hammersticks likes this.
  20. BonesJones

I think Detroit would love to get him. He and Drummond would certainly be dynamic in the pick n roll.