Offseason Plan

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by Casual, May 23, 2004.

1. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Rashard signed a 6 year $70 million contract (with incentives) at the end of either the 00/01 season or the 01/02 (not sure). If you're getting the figures off realGM, I am pretty sure they're wrong because others have said the same thing about rashard expiring, which he isn't for a while yet.

If you remember, he wanted 90 million, then almost went to Houston or Dallas, before finally re-upping here.

2. tradebark

tradebark JBB JustBBall Member

I was getting it from HoopsHype.. Did think it was probably wrong since there was no talk of free agency this year.

So that does say something. I wouldnt be opposed to putting Rashard on the market, but it seems to make Vlad more appealing to other teams given his soon-to-expire contract.

3. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Can anyone confirm Rashard's contract value? I'm certain he signed a six year deal, but I can't remember if it was for 50, 60 or 70 million?

4. tradebark

5. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Oh my bad then, getting my sixes and sevens mixed up [​IMG]

6. Casual

Casual JBB First Team

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting tradebark:</div><div class="quote_post">So that does say something. I wouldnt be opposed to putting Rashard on the market, but it seems to make Vlad more appealing to other teams given his soon-to-expire contract.</div>

Radman isn't making that much. Teams want expiring contracts of highly paid players to clear up cap space the next year.

7. tradebark

That's if they want the player for the purpose of clearing cap space, which Vlad obviously isnt.

His small contract allows them to basically see what he can do at very little cost (a bargain since it's part of his rookie contract).. If he ends up not being what they want they can release him, or resign him on their own terms (which will be more than what he's currently making, but it's unlikely he'll get away with a Rashard-sized contract)..

EDIT:
    Which is also to say, Rashards contract isnt expiring soon so it doesnt seem likely anyone will pick him up for the purpose of dumping $ until the 08-09 season.. Looks like we might be stuck with him a la the 3 centers :[

8. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

^ That also means we can only get back a rookie deal in that case (brings me back to the rumoured Vlad for Chandler deal reported a few weeks ago). I think it's pretty safe to say no one's going to trade for a player of Rashard's quality unless it's for the purposes of utilising him long term.

9. tradebark

Going off topic but do you think Chandler is what we need? I think he's probably needed more than Vlad so I wouldnt mind the trade, but he seems to get powered over in the paint..

10. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting tradebark:</div><div class="quote_post">Going off topic but do you think Chandler is what we need? I think he's probably needed more than Vlad so I wouldnt mind the trade, but he seems to get powered over in the paint..</div>

I rate the kid, others don't, and to be fair he has had a few questions over his mindset and back troubles. I just see a lot or promise in him, and it might just need a change of environment. 7 footers with that sort of natural ability are hard to find.