Offseason thread

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by mrmel29, Jun 12, 2022.

1. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Totally understandable. With Trouba, Fox and Schneider he won’t play here. He’s a good kid but it’s hard to stay motivated in the Ahl when you know you’re not gonna play in the NHL on that team. You play in the minors because you know you have a chance of getting to the NHL. When you don’t it’s not the same and you can’t think about a trade.

2. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

Hopefully Drury doesn't trade him for .80/$1. It's more important he bolsters a trade to help us in the playoffs than getting simply a pick/prospect.

3. NYR31

NYR31 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Team is pretty set at this point. It would require packing him with another current player to upgrade the roster and not sure the likelihood of that.

4. Ranger71

Yeah, they will send Kakko or Chytil the other way possibly at the trade DL.

5. kreidertime

No they won’t

6. Ranger71

I think either Kane or Miller are going to end up here later in the season. They will have pro-rated cap space by then and Vancouver or Chicago will eat some on their end if the deal is right.

7. Ranger71

Miller signed an extension so that takes him out of the equation.

8. kreidertime

Dude you’re on fucking drugs the Rangers are not adding another huge contract. I could also see Lundkvist getting traded to the coyotes so we can recoup picks.

9. Ranger71

I'm not talking about adding another big contract, only someone like Kane who's expiring after the year. Miller may have been an option but not anymore after today's extension. No way could the Rangers afford another big contract, but they can add help at the DL with a pending UFA like Kane. The money can work just for one playoff push. He's going to get dealt somewhere, Chicago is terrible. We are on his list of 3 teams with Toronto and Edmonton.

10. kreidertime

Rangers need to be adding picks at this point because they are going to have to trade players to dump salary sooner than later. NHL salaries have gone way up and rightly so compared to other sports. Ticket prices are absurd. The salary cap is way to low. It's pathetic. It should be at least 100 million right now. If Miller continues to improve on what he did the second half and in the playoffs, you're looking at 5+ million long term for him. The fact they haven't etended Lafreniere yet is beyond moronic. If he's going to play the first PP unit next year, they could be looking at 7+ million instead of extending him now for say 4 years for 4 million. The Rangers are starting to become very stupid with contracts again. The moronic NMC's and NMT's have been going on for years.

11. Ranger71

It will be interesting with Trouba in a few years, being named captain, if they have to make a decision on moving him or not for cap reasons. That could be an awkward situation.

12. kreidertime

I didn't expect Lundkvist to do much in Hartford. That team sucked last year and had little talent which made it more impressive what Jones did. We have a spot for a lefty defenseman but 2 small guys on our d could be a problem come playoff time. If I was another team I would be looking to steals Jones or Lundkvist.

13. Ranger71

Seems like it will be Jones to start unless Robertson beats him out. Otherwise they have to turn to Hajek or....Tinordi. I could see them making a deal during the season for another vet like Braun, but maybe Jones can hold it down. Robertson may still need a little more time.

14. PorterPanzer

PorterPanzer Active Member

One thing Drury has shown when he was in charge of Hartford or with the Rangers now is he doesn't give a crap when players start crying for a trade, he's not going to give them away. Now is the time to push for that one player that puts them over the top whether it's Kane (who I also think will be here) or another high price player in a contract year. The window of opportunity is open now, a player like Kane may require giving up Chytil and prospects to make the money work but totally worth the risk imo.

15. kreidertime

Rangers can’t be giving up young centers. It’s the weakest part of their organization and farm system

16. kreidertime

The problem with what Drury is doing is that when you hold players that want to be traded, the longer you do it the worse your trade value becomes. Unhappy players tend not to play well. Then there is the risk factor that while you are holding them they get hurt which makes them even less valuable. This is what happened with Kravtsov last season. There wasn't much he could do with Georgiev. They had to keep a competent backup around. He did ok with the return. They didn't get as much value with Barron. He averaged a PPG in his first 21 games in the AHL. They should have known if they were to commit to him the following season or not. If they weren't, they should have moved him much earlier. If you have a prospect and you don't believe there is a good chance they will make your team, you should move them and get something that does make sense for your team. With Fox being small, I don't believe the organization has any plans on putting Jones and Lundkvist on the big club. They should move both now before they lose more value.

17. Ranger71

Saw a rumor that they were looking at C Jan Mysak from Montreal. Former 2nd rounder but he's a little small at 5-10.

18. kreidertime

Says he's 6'0, 180 in a place I looked. Scouting report is good. We don't have enoug players with accurate shots that are powerful. Most of our players miss the net constantly. One is gone in Strome.

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2020/05/05/jan-mysak-scouting-report/

None of the top 4 scorers on his junior team were drafted. I would sign all of them and drop 4 rejects from the Pack. There is plenty of dead weight on that team.

19. Ranger71

He looks like a very efficient player with a high hockey IQ. Seems to have a little Strome in his game but maybe even better in some ways, like his shot. I wouldn't be surprised if Gorton is reluctant to give him up but it is a fair 1/1 deal.

20. kreidertime

Gorton loves players he picked. Montreal's defenseman blow and they aren't exactly loaded with young talent back there. They have absolutely nobody back there that can quarterback a PP. Lundkvist would be a great fit there. I would want more back than Mysak. I would ask for a second rounder at the least.