OG

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by B-Roy, Jun 22, 2022.

1. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Hollinger:https://theathletic.com/3379842/202...n-a-string-of-many?source=user-shared-article

Portland would surely need to cough up its seventh pick in the 2022 draft to get Anunoby, but executing the deal is tricky now that the trade exception is gone. The Raptors wouldn’t necessarily want much of what Portland could offer in return as a matching contract (such as fully guaranteeing Eric Bledsoe’s $19 million for next year); the Blazers also would likely be a taxpayer if they did a deal that way. Obviously, Hart could also go into this deal, but I presume the Blazers would like to keep him and line up Hart-Grant-Anunoby at the two-three-four spots.

The alternative is the pu pu platter, aggregating six different contracts to salary-match Anunoby’s and then adding the seventh pick as the cherry on top. This works more easily if Nassir Little is in the deal, but Little is FOD (Friends of Dame) from what I hear and thus more likely to be left out of such an arrangement.

If so, the sloptacular combo of Greg Brown, Justise Winslow, Keon Johnson, Didi Louzada, Trendon Watford and a signed-and-traded Elijah Hughes would make juuuust enough money to be legal tender in an Anunoby swap, provided the trade happened after the July moratorium. If the Raptors added two small contracts of their own (say, Svi Mykhailiuk and Armoni Brooks), they would create a $17 million trade exception.

SharpeScooterShooter likes this.
  2. SharpeScooterShooter

SharpeScooterShooter SharpeShooter

Freeloader
    @Ed O please read. I do not think your assessment of value is accurate. To think its a fair trade for ebec and OG to be swapped is simply a bad take. Sorry. I am a homer as much as anyone but reality is reality.

3. SlyPokerCat

SlyPokerCat cats rool dogs drool

Say it ain't so. Winslow has become the apple of a lot of folks eye are here.

How do ya'll feel about Winslow and #7 for OG?

I wouldn't do it for #7 alone. But with the way some of you love Winslow, I can't see ya'll being a fan of that one.

4. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Isn't Anf the second star?

5. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Looked good as the primary ball handler in garbage games. How will that play out playing off Dame in games that mean something? We all hope for And to become a 'star', but that is still a ways off.

Natebishop3 likes this.
  6. SharpeScooterShooter

SharpeScooterShooter SharpeShooter

Freeloader
    I would do that. But we have to get something out of the ebec too.

7. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

agree, and he will be paid like one too.

8. Freshtown

Freshtown Well-Known Member

Since Haynes is the primary one reporting it, I wonder if this is just Dame trying to use the media to express his wishes?

i.e., the front office may not feel the same way.

9. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

The Blazers have to give up value for the RIGHT to pay him.

If Toronto isn't trying to get rid of him why would they let him go for less than equal value in return? And we'd have to question why would we be chasing after a guy if his own team doesn't want him?

That's why Olshey never made moves...

10. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    SharpesTriumph and Natebishop3 like this.
  11. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

12. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I like Winslow alot. But you do have to give up something to get something, and if it comes down to him or Little I would choose to keep Nas. OG will be 25 in a few weeks. He is a versatile forward being 230 lbs with a 7'2 wingspan and is a pretty good 3pt shooter. His health is my only concern. I would be fine keeping the pick and Winslow or trading them for OG.

TBpup likes this.
  13. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    That sucks because I’d rather have OG than Grant

14. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

I'm fine if we move one of Nas/Hart as long as we get a future first or some additional compensation coming back.

Current roster (assuming Ant and Nurk are re-signed) already has 5 players that will play close to 30 minutes or more (Dame, Ant, Nurk, Grant, Hart), and 2 players that will play 20+ (Nas, Winslow). We're going to sign a center to play backup center minutes. That's already 8 rotation players. Most teams can only play 9-10 rotation guys at max, quality > quantity. Adding OG just takes away minutes from other guys, and I'd argue OG is better than any one of Nas/Hart/Winslow. I definitely want to punt the value of one of those guys to a future season though. We aren't in a position to be getting fleeced on trade value for no reason.

15. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I get that theory, but I don't agree with it. OG is 24, I wouldn't say his ceiling is locked at just being a solid starter.

I'm not risk adverse, I think Sharpe has more upside, but I think the probability he ends up better than OG isn't there. Obviously it's all a guess. I don't want to whiff on consecutive top 10 picks. The last top 10 pick we missed on hurt us badly the last 4 years.

SharpeScooterShooter likes this.
  16. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I don't think you can compare the ZCO pick and this one.

Firstly, we should have never traded into the top 10 in that draft. We were a playoff team and we needed veteran help. We didn't need a rookie project big man. The development timeline for a young guard and a young big are not usually the same, mostly because of the struggles with fouls and staying on the court. But also Collins couldn't stay healthy (which is also a common issue with bigs.) I really wanted Paul George but there are conflicting reports about how that went down. I'm not sure if KP would have dealt him to us even if we had the best offer.

But if you do want to compare this pick and that pick, I don't think Collins was BPA. If the goal was to go into the lottery and grab a potential star, there's no way Collins was it. He projected out as a solid defensive big who could hopefully spread the floor. Maybe a Paul Millsap type player. We're talking about going after a guy like Sharpe, who some scouts compare to Anthony Edwards. We're looking for a legitimate star player to pair with Dame or Ant.

Tince likes this.
  17. Freshtown

Freshtown Well-Known Member

Fwiw, OG turns 25 next month. Not that it’s a huge difference, but people referring to him as a young 24 year old are (I think) overvaluing his youth and potential. I think he is what he is at this point. He may get a little better, but he’ll never be a ball handler or creator or driver. He’s a very good 3 and D and not much else.

illmatic99 and SlyPokerCat like this.
  18. AmirIcon

AmirIcon Well-Known Member

Writer, Director, Actor
    I really like OG but 7 plus Nas or Hart is overpay. They've got time to find their SF of the future. That maybe Little, the pick or someone who becomes available on the market. I think we should wait and see how it works.

19. glazeduck

glazeduck Well-Known Member

I haven't bothered to read all 10 pages of the thread, but I find it interesting that I haven't seen much, if any, mention of OG's situation in Toronto... The only reason he's on the block is because he's unhappy there and they have a plethora of options at his positions now. That's not a situation that's going to resolve itself IN Toronto.

So sure, we might have competition to get him, because he's a fairly complete 2-way wing, but his market value is trending downward. It's looking more and more like we're not going to pay an exorbitant amount for him, but of Masai keeps asking for too much, it stands to reason that he might be had reasonably cheaper later this summer...

20. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I'm comparing an example where we took the bigger swing instead of playing the odds.

IMO OG is playing the odds, Shapre is taking the swing.

I haven't watched enough of Shapre AAU tape to feel confident he's got good odds to be worth the risk. If we draft him, I'll hope he hits!