Oh no, TD plz dont...

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by aTTiCuS, Feb 8, 2003.

1. aTTiCuS

aTTiCuS JBB JustBBall Member

get caught up in all this shoe crap.......

Adidas brings Spurs' Duncan on board

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Darren Rovell
    ESPN.com

Adidas announced Friday it signed San Antonio Spurs center Tim Duncan, who will play in his sixth NBA All-Star Game on Sunday.

"We need to build adidas as a great basketball brand among the ballers and basketball aficionados," said John Kawaja, adidas' director of marketing. "We're going to use Tim to tell our brand's story."

Although Duncan, the first overall draft pick in 1997, has won Rookie of the Year, an NBA championship and was named last year's MVP, adidas likely won't debut a signature shoe line, Kawaja said.

Over the last two years, Duncan had two signature shoes with Nike -- the Air Max Duncan I and II -- but shoes endorsed by the big men usually don't sell well.

"This deal appealed to him not only because of the financial deal, but because of their commitment to his charity (the Tim Duncan Foundation) was way beyond what is typical," said Duncan's agent Lon Babby. Over the last two years, Duncan has raised more than $350,000 for cancer research.

Adidas is relying on Orlando Magic forward Tracy McGrady as well. McGrady signed a lifetime contract last April, three months before Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant left the company after six years.

"Tracy is one of those players who can really help move shoes," Kawaja said.

Adidas is also in the race to sign projected No. 1 overall draft pick LeBron James. But Sonny Vaccaro, adidas' director of basketball, didn't feel too sure about his chances to land the prep star, who figures to make at least $25 million for a five-year shoe contract.

"I'm not going to get this kid," Vaccaro told ESPN.com earlier this week. "But I'm going help make him one of the richest kids in America. Nike has more money than God. If Phil Knight wants to sign him, he'll get him. I know LeBron better, no question, but what does that mean?"

Darren Rovell, who covers sports business for ESPN.com, can be reached at Darren.rovell@espn3.com.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _______________ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

>>>>>>Although Duncan, the first overall draft pick in 1997, has won Rookie of the Year, an NBA championship and was named last year's MVP, adidas likely won't debut a signature shoe line, Kawaja said.

Then why the crap even have him aboard??????? >thats stupid<

2. Sasha

Sasha ...since the beginning.

On a related issue, did you all see the new RBK commerical with Allen, Steve, Jalen and them. Pretty tight, I just got the AllStar Iversons on Friday.

3. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

They all are into this stuff now days..

4. Online

Online JBB JustBBall Member

Hey The pro's like the thing that make money off just wereing shoes. Its a really easy way to make some money though adn i would love to have a shoe named after me.

5. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

At insidehoops.com I was ranting and raving about this book I had read titled <u>Soul Influence</u>. It told about all the behind the scenes recruiting Nike and Adidas did and it told about the people that work for those companies. It's really a great book for anyone who hasn't read it. I know it has nothing to do with the subject, but I just thought I'd bring it up.

6. Big D

Big D JBB JustBBall Member

It sounds interesting. I know they have some of the shadiest business practices in business.