OT OKC

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Nov 26, 2017.

1. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

Look, say what you want about Durant and some of his petty nonsense this off-season - the dude loves basketball and is a great player. If this guy leaves your team because he does not like playing next to Russ - Russ is a problem.

Anyone that would choose Russ over Durant is crazy. Harden is hard to watch at times (a lot less this year) - but arguably - the 2 best players from that team that went to the finals are no longer there and they are stuck with the 3rd best. That's bad.

mook and Boob-No-More like this.
  2. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

The problem is even worse with Donovan than it was with Brooks. During Donovan's first regular season as coach, he seemed to have installed a more motion oriented offense that involved more player and ball movement. However, during the playoffs, Westbrook reverted to his hero ball style. I think Donovan gave up control of the team when he let Westbrook dictate who played and who didn't (Kanter).

After losing Durant it became the All Russ All the Time Show and now they rely almost totally on isolation plays for their Big 3. That results in a lot of low percentage mid range shots as the shot clock is winding down. It gets even worse in the 4th quarter when Westbrook wants to have the ball in his hands on every possession. Even if the coach draws up a play that involves more players and ball movement, it's on the players, especially the PG to execute that play. The problem is Westbrook uses his veto lower way too often and just tries to go 1-on-5 with the game on the line.

So, yeah the coach needs to get more people involved, but Westbrook needs to subjugate his own ego and allow that to actually happen.

BNM

Pinwheel1 and blue9 like this.
  3. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Agree on all counts. I'd just add that the coach needs to hold Westbrook accountable for his 4th-quarter fuck-ups. I know that's not how things are done in today's NBA, but that's clearly the biggest issue with Westbrook. He's never going to have the mindset of a Steve Nash, but he has the skills to be so much better than Nash. As long as he's not a Blazer, it's great that he's so anti-clutch. But if he ever gets to the point (either through coaching or self-examination) where he can properly run a team during the closing minutes he'd be the best PG in the league by a long shot.

I will be curious to see how his game ages. While he is extremely athletic, I don't get the impression that his game will implode the way that Rose's did.

4. SportsAndWhine

SportsAndWhine Dumbass For Hire

Donovan should bench Russ in the 4th of a close game... it’s the in thing :ghoti:

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  5. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Well, the Heatles had prime LeBron, prime Wade and prime Bosh. The Thunder have prime Westbrook and prime PG13, but Anthony is in the twilight of his prime. The Heat also had a better bench I think.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  6. Boob-No-More

He should update his resume and LinkedIn profile first.

BNM

SportsAndWhine likes this.
  7. SportsAndWhine

That first year the Heat Bench was garbage iirc.

8. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Not really THAT bad, but when your three stars are shooting around 50% from the field, they're going to take most of the shots. LeBron and Wade both averaged around 19 FGA and Bosh was around 14.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIA/2011.html

9. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

The Heat did have a rough start but everyone knew they'd turn it around because it's LeBron and Wade, who had insane chemistry on/off the court. Once they found their go to way to play it was over.

OKC is a little different, they're trying to have square pegs into round holes right now since they just kinda threw together a team of random stars that idk if they are friends off the court even. They should finish above .500 but they need to stop playing that whole taking turns going ISO offense. It's not going to work.

10. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Remember at the end of last year when Paul George was pissed because his teammate took the last shot of the game instead of passing it back? I wonder what he is thinking now when does not get to shoot in the last......... 10 possessions?

OK I am embellishing a little but at what point does the frustration boil over? And does Russ pull a LBJ and refuse to shoot just to prove a point? This could get fun.

11. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    Also Lebron is so much better then PG13 and Westbrook is really not that fair.

12. Boob-No-More

@HCP - Orlando ends their 9-game losing streak by beating the Thunder by 13. OKC is now 8-12 and in last place in the NW Division.

Remember that "horrible" start the Heattles had their first year together? After 20 games, they were 12-8.

BNM

riverman, H.C., Cippy91 and 2 others like this.
  13. PHXBlazer1

PHXBlazer1 Well-Known Member

The Heat had LeBron.

14. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    HCP once told me that the Thunder have three players that command double teams! Well, there should be people open then right and they're winning easily! Nope. The Thunder is the team that bad teams can't wait to play. Horrible. Dead last in division. Holding on to the 10th seed by a thread. Could get worse.

15. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    He was on the floor in 2014-15. Durant was hurt. Westbrook took all the shots. Pelicans beat Thunder out for 8th seed. When will Westbrook learn? He wasted Oladipo last year and can't even win this year with Paul fucking George who by the way may not be as good as we thought.

H.C. likes this.
  16. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    To think about: If Westbrook isn't voted in by fans and the Thunder still suck, does Westbrook make the All Star team? Players like CJ and Dame are more deserving in my opinion

GrandJury likes this.
  17. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Of course he makes All-Star game. As long as he plays, he will be in All-Star teams.

18. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I am starting to wonder about this myself.

As for 2014-15 Westbrook was only on the floor for 67 games. Durant only played 27 games and they still won 45 games. (same as the Pelicans who got into the playoffs on a tie breaker.) OKC finished 2nd in the division that year behind Portland.

19. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

OKC is making the playoffs if I was a betting man but they won't have homecourt. 5th seed is the highest I can see them getting and that is probably a stretch.

20. SportsAndWhine

You’re onto something here. In his career he’s never broke a 21PER, which is third wheel on a championship level team. The reason he looks so bad this year though? His Free Throw Rate has dropped like a stone, below 20%. He’s typically been around 30%, last year at 27.7%... he’s shooting way more threes, going away from what made him special: slashing and breaking down defenses. OKC is bad for him; POR could have used him like he’s used to (we’re not a big here point shooting team anymore; I think we’re like 28th in attempts)