Old man Chelios surprised he still can score

Discussion in 'WEST: Central Division' started by shookem, Oct 10, 2007.

1. shookem

shookem Still not a bust

<p class="storyhead">Score leaves Chelios stunned</p>
    <p style="text-indent: 0pt; font-weight: bold; line-height: 2em;">Ted Kulfan / The Detroit News </p>

<div id="div_article_inside_right_column"></div>

<span class="storytext">

DETROIT -- In his 1,550th career game Monday, Chris Chelios did something he rarely does anymore.</p>

Chelios scored a goal, an event that usually ignites a spontaneous celebration for any player.</p>

Except Chelios, 45, who seemed stunned.</p>

"Back in the day I didn't celebrate unless it was the playoffs," Chelios said. "But right now (in the season), it's too early to be going crazy."</p>

Chelios moved past former Red Wing Alex Delvecchio into eighth place on the career games played list.</p>

"Can you imagine how many games that is?" coach Mike Babcock said. "Then to score, to be a big part of our team, it's got to be special."</p>

Chelios said it's his kids who are pushing him to keep playing these days, as much as he wants to himself.</p>

The prospect of playing until 50 doesn't seem farfetched anymore.</p>

"My kids' word for it is 'cool,'&ensp;" Chelios said. "It's funny for me to hear them say that, but they're encouraging me to keep going. When I think of the company I'm in now, in the games played, it's kind of a special thing."</p>

www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article</p>
    </span></p>