Olshey interview with Jaynes

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Scalma, May 22, 2018.

1. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

So no speculating. Got it.

Sly, please delete the CJ trade, 2018 draft and all prediction game threads.

2. Mediocre Man

Ok

FACT
    NO have Meyers 10 mil per
    Signed Turner to a ridiculous contract
    Did not trade Aldridge even after being told he wanted out
    Drafted Swanigan ove Bell and Kuzma
    Kept Stotts even after clearly seeing ball movement is key in the playoffs

3. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

He's also developed a solid jumpshot, and really is a very good passer as well. If the cost of acquisition is low enough (ie, Turner/Aminu), then the contract size/length is of little concern to me. Acquiring Blake would be an "all-in" type of move, not concerned about 2022, but focused on 2018-19.

blue9 likes this.
  4. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    You forgot one key fact

all but the first year Olshey has put together a team that has made the playoffs every year even while having to replace 4 starters. and essentially retool a team after the strike shortened season. Selective memory?

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  5. CupWizier

retired
    Quit whining.

6. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I think it's probably true. It is in line with Neil's public comments about Zach. I think it would be stupid too.

7. Mediocre Man

Led us to purgatory. Yay Neil

8. Mediocre Man

By saying quit whining to someone not whining, makes you a whiner.....I think?

9. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Weird definition of purgatory. 49 wins, up from 41. 8th ranked defense, up from 24th. Two best players just entering their primes. Two key players (Nurk and Collins) still very young with lots of room for improvement.

Sure, we shit the bed in the playoffs, but I'd rather be POR than MIN (missed the playoffs 13 years in a row and also lost in the first round, 27th ranked defense and not getting better anytime soon), or LAC, or SAC, or DAL, or DEN, or ...

Yeah, we're not on the same level as GSW or HOU, but our window hasn't opened yet. We need Dame and C.J. to continue to play well and improve in a couple areas, but both are smart, dedicated and hard working. So, I don't see that as a problem. We need Nurk to continue to improve offensively (he was MUCH better after the first of the year when he increased his FG% from .450 to .547 and reduced his TOV from > 3 to <2) and Collins to develop.

We still need some additional pieces and need to aggressively pursue those pieces, either via trades and/or using the TPE and tax payer MLE.

15 months ago, our front court was ranked as the worst in the entire NBA. In that time, Neil has added Nurk and Collins. Nurk completely transformed our defense and Collins has the potential, tools and work ethic/attitude to develop into a very solid 2-way player. Things may not be moving forward as fast as some would like, but they are moving forward.

It's not like there were any moves/draft picks that would have instantly put us on the same level as GSW and HOU. Those teams will gradually decline as POR continues to improve. Will we eventually pass them and win a title? Too soon to tell, but to blow it all up and start over would be a short-sighted panic move. Even if we had the top pick in the draft for the next three years, what are the odds we'd get one player as good as Damian Lillard who is committed to this organization and wants to be a Blazer for life?

BNM

BBert, HailBlazers, RR7 and 3 others like this.
  10. CupWizier

retired
    Well, it's not the first time and I am sure not the last time what you think would be wrong. No reason to respond again as this part of the discussion is over on my end. Have a nice day.

11. Mediocre Man

I want a title, others are content with nice guys as and first round of the playoffs

Gronk Brady likes this.
  12. CupWizier

retired
    tell us which fans in this forum don't want a title and let them tell you themself that's not true. I have yet to come across any true Blazer fan that doesn't want a title.

Boob-No-More likes this.
  13. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

What he's saying is that there are some fans--like myself, for example--who want a title, but are basically satisfied with a team that wins more than it loses and represents this city with character. The kind of fan who would give the team a B grade for this season thanks to the basic enjoyment he derived from the team over the course of 7 months, despite the epic flame-out in the first week of the playoffs. Fans who would prefer the team put forth their best effort to win as many games as possible each season rather than tanking for 3-5 years for a chance at stumbling upon a super-duper-star.

Of course I want a title, but it's not the be-all-and-end-all for me. I am the kind of fan that @Mediocre Man is talking about, which is ironic, since despite his username, I am the one content with mediocrity.

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  14. Mediocre Man

We've done this before and it wasn't over. You're the cup who cried wolf
    I only want a title. Others are fine with trying

15. Boob-No-More

Well, yay you! What does that have to do with my post that you quoted?

Please show me where I said I don't want a title and am content with nice guys and a first round exit.

We may have different opinions on the best route to build a title contender, but that doesn't mean I want a title any less that you do.

I see building a contender as a relatively slow, deliberate process - at least for a small market team that doesn't attract top name free agents.

You seem to want to blow it all up and build through the draft lottery (if not, please tell me your plan to get us that title).

We spent six consecutive years in the lottery and never got past the first round. MIN was in the lottery 13 years in a row and still hasn't made it past the 1st round. SAC had 8 top 8 picks in 8 years and can't even come close to making the playoffs.

We have a player who has just entered his prime and is 1st team All NBA. I say we continue to build around that. Having an All NBA player (who happens to be a nice guy) doesn't guarantee a title (nothing does), but who was the last team to win a title without at least one All NBA level talent? Seems like a good starting point to me.

My post was about steady forward progress. Our biggest weaknesses in 2016-17 were our front court and one of the worst defenses in the league. Both those issues were addressed, and while our young big men still have a long way to go, at least we are much better in both of those areas than we were 15 months ago.

Our biggest weaknesses (as I see it) are now lack of ball movement and a reliable 3rd scorer. I'd like to see us at least attempt to address those issues before we blow it all up, dive deep into the lottery and become a 20-something win team for the next six years.

That doesn't mean I don't want a title, I just view the odds as greater by building on success than tearing it all down and hoping to get lucky in the lottery.

BNM

RickyJoe, HailBlazers and hoopsjock like this.
  16. Boob-No-More

When, exactly, were you appointed to speak for "others"? You sure as hell don't speak for me.

BNM

RickyJoe and hoopsjock like this.
  17. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Not sure, maybe it's.....
    #needrefcalls

18. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Just to play Devil's Advocate for a minute or 2....

MM has had very serious health problems, and it's very reasonable for him to want us to win a championship ASAP. However, we're basically pinning our hopes on
    1) a 20 year old WABC who didn't even start for his college team or make an all-rookie team
    2) a PG whose attitude was so bad that he was cut in the middle of his rookie-scale contract to make room for Mario Chalmers...

That's discouraging for someone who wants to win now.

Personally, I am excited by those 2 young dudes, but I don't think there going to help us win a championship next year.

19. Mediocre Man

Guess that's why I didn't say everyone

20. Boob-No-More

I'm just not seeing how diving deep into the lottery gets us a title any sooner than continuing to build around a 1st team All NBA player just entering his prime.

Your examples actually seem to contradict the point you are trying to make. Adding more lottery picks means we will be relying on even more, very young, very unproven players.

While Collins improvement is highly desirable, we also have the option of including him in a trade package for a proven player. I'm not specifically recommending this particular trade one way or the other, just using it as an example, but he could be a key piece in a possible trade for Blake Griffin, should DET decide to move Blake and go all in on a youth movement.

I don't think anyone here considers Wade Baldwin an irreplaceable part of our championship plans. I think most are excited that he has the potential to be a young role player that we got for nothing. Wade Baldwin is the NBA equivalent of a free lunch at an unexpectedly good restaurant.

BNM

HailBlazers likes this.