Olshey?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Jun 22, 2015.

1. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

It's not JUST free agency. It's every way he conducts his job. The draft. Handling trades. What he has done in free agency or the lack of. Ideologically, compared to some other GMs that's been here in the past. He was off. He's also very wasteful with the resources he has and not creative enough.

He is five years into it and they are no better from a player personal standpoint than they were when he arrived.

2. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Well-Known Member

Lol. Sorry but that's just ridiculous.

SIeepwalker likes this.
  3. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

He can only do so much as far as free agents goes. The AA trade turned out bad - hindsight is 20/20. Most of us, at the time, thought it was the right move. I wasn't a huge fan, but NO put his foot on the gas and made the move to hopefully help us take the next step. Wes was injured right after, and that deflated the season. AA didn't mesh as well as hoped. The trade was a flop in the end, but if NO hadn't made a move and Wes isn't injured, when we didn't have enough fire power and would likely get bounced in the playoffs, people would have wondered why NO didn't make a move at the deadline. I like that he wasn't afraid to go for it.

Eastoff and UncleCliffy'sDaddy like this.
  4. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Bottom line, it wasn't a bad trade. If someone thinks its a bad trade, its because they dont understand basic logic.

5. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

I judge results, not intentions.

6. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

The thing is, situations are fluid and he seems to only have rigid plans in place. He had the ability to trade into the late first and grab a steal that had fallen in Labissiere, Davis, or a backup PG in Jackson. Instead he didn't and said something along the lines of not straying away from what they already wanted to do. He had his guy in Layman, and just because of that he didn't trade up to get great value... It's stupid.

He lacks the creativity needed to get the team to take the next step. He's GREAT as a bargain hunter, and I would've chosen him over every other GM given the situation we had last year. But now he doesn't know what to do next and that's obvious by what's happened in free agent with his coveted cap space...

He has to pull off a trade for a superstar. If he doesn't, then he has no benefit for us.

7. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

Honestly, he is doing the best possible job or us. I don't think any other GM would help us more at this stage. I just hope he matches on our RFA and they all pan out, I mean Crabbe, Harkless, Leonard, and even the young guys like Vonleh and Montero have killer potential, it's just a waiting game.

but..... FUCK THE GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS

8. BLAZINGGIANTS

By that logic, you're happier now with the organization than the previous 15 years? Cuz as I see it, as a team and organization, we're at the highest point we've been in for 15 years.

9. BonesJones

You don't think I could? I wanted to draft Lillard, Leonard, and CJ. I could've made the free agent signings he has.

10. OneLifeToLive

Lillard was a forgone conclusion before Olshey arrived. He was being looked at heavily by Buchanon and our scouting team. And they had Allen excited about him.

11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

nope...don't think you could ...if you think you're even remotely as connected to agents and scouts as Olshey, you're dreamin'....we all play armchair GM here but we're not even in his league at all...just my view. If you run for president, I'd vote for you over Trump though

drexlersdad and BonesJones like this.
  12. BLAZINGGIANTS

Lillard was not a foregone conclusion. He was still a late-first, early-second round pick 2-3 months before the draft. We were looking at him, but to call it a foregone conclusion is way overstated. It was also my understanding NO had been scouting Dame while he was still the Clips GM.

13. BlazerManiac

BlazerManiac Member

You cannot blame Olshey when he offers Gasol $10M more than the Spurs and we still lose him. We do not get a meeting with Howard or White. You cannot blame Olshey for not attracting free agents. NO GM before him could do it either.

14. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I can blame him for wasting so much time on someone that was never going to sign here.

15. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

You can blame him for the way he chooses to spend his cap space though. Why not use cap for trades? Why not make more trades at the last deadline if you know free agents arent gonna wanna be here?

santeesioux likes this.
  16. OneLifeToLive

They no doubt collaboratively got together in making the pick. He was still being actively scouted by this team for the 6th or the 11pick before his arrival.

17. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I think we'll see that at the trade deadline after re-signing our RFAs...

Eastoff likes this.
  18. OneLifeToLive

Id like to see him finally get aggressive. Somewhere...trades, free agency... Anywhere.

santeesioux likes this.
  19. BonesJones

What have Olsheys relationships got him exactly?

santeesioux likes this.
  20. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Given the Durant signing...I'd say developing young talent on friendly contracts is a long term, wise path...folks just want instant gratification...it's not Stotts fault that we haven't won a championship since he's been coach and it's not Olshey's fault that we haven't landed a superstar in the off season. I still enjoy the team and like the staff