Olympics in China

Discussion in 'PyeongChang 2018' started by The Return of the Raider, Aug 25, 2008.

1. The Return of the Raider

The Return of the Raider Active Member

Can we never do this again? They got the most gold medals for a reason, and I don't think it was entirely based on their performance. They're not going to get this many gold if it were held outside their own country. It hasn't happened before, and it probably won't happen again. The gymnastics judging disgusted me. The underage girl who had a major fault and ended up recieving the gold over the better performances of other countries really got to me.

2. isrus

isrus Go Devils

I agree, the Olympics Committee just took a step backwards

3. bbwchingy0007

bbwchingy0007 BBW Member

Did anyone see the women's taekwondo between team GB (Sarah Stevenson) and China (no idea who - that's not her name :p). Basically, the Chinese woman was 1-0 up with less than 10 seconds to go. Stevenson kicked her full on in the face, which should be worth 2 points and basically an automatic win. TeamGB managed to appeal and get the result overturned, but it was a shambles. It was a clear cut kick to the head, and the judges must have been biased had the view blocked.

4. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

I agree it happened numerous times in different sports.

5. isrus

isrus Go Devils

To be fair, host countries usually get scored better but China took it way too far, it was too obvious. The Boxing was rediculous...NBC reported that a judge was suspended for "manipulation"

6. bbwMax

bbwMax Member

I saw this too. It was really bizzare as i have not really got any interest in taekwondo, never have and probably never will, yet i was so angry. I'm glad it got overturned though :D

Btw the chinese Fighter was called Chen Zhong

7. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

Lets return the favor in London. Vote for American, British, Australian and Canadian athletes. ;) lol

8. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    China could very well continue to win more golds than the US because of the sports they excel in. Generally, we excel better in team-based sports (basketball, beach volleyball, etc), while the Chinese excel in individual sports (diving, men's gymnastics, etc). And since there are more available golds in individual sports than there are in team sports, China will always have a great shot at winning the most golds, regardless of whether there's any bias involved in judged events.

Obviously, we also do quite will in individual events (swimming, women's gymnastics in these Olympics especially) but it's currently not enough to make up the deficit. If our track team didn't choke this year, things would have been a little closer.

The Chinese also tend to win golds in sports that seam pretty meaningless to us as far as the Olympics go (table tennis for example; the men's final was an all-Chinese final). They get another big advantage there.

And just for the record, I'm not saying there wasn't any bias in these games, because there obviously was. But that wasn't the sole difference maker in them winning the most golds. It's still a disgrace that it happened, though.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  9. robb01

robb01 Member

Home ground advantage :rolleyes: