On brink vs. the Warriors, Blazers' rebuild still nothing short of amazing

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, May 6, 2016.

1. santeesioux

santeesioux Just keep on scrolling by

Trolling the internet
    Minny is going to eventually get Kevin Love'd by KAT and Wiggins when they don't play up to par for the next few years.

JFizzleRaider likes this.
  2. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I think Towns is going to be an absolute monster, so, absent any moves by Olshey to add a talented big man this summer, I'd give the nod to the Wolves a couple of years down the road. But, I do think that Olshey will make a significant move this summer, so my real answer is, "to be determined".

3. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Anthony Davis is an absolute monster.... how far has New Orleans gotten?

Wiggins is overrated.

4. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

Agree on both counts.

On the first though a lot of that is due to injuries. We can't assume KAT will have those (but we also can't assume he won't).

As I said, MIN was supposed to make the jump every year and hasn't so I pick us until they do but I also want to be fair when I see something a bit out of context.

5. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I'd say Portland but mostly because of coaching and system stability...Minnesota and Boston are going to be good for years to come...we're the next generation of contenders starting next season or the following

6. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    "Brink," my foot. We were in control of the game for three quarters in Oakland before we faltered. We can still win this series. I'd put the chances at about one in ten, but it's certainly not inevitable.

riverman and Orion Bailey like this.
  7. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

We could use a mod for the Timberwolves forum...

8. KeepOnRollin

Cushy gig. You wouldn't have to work too hard @Mediocre Man as the last thread created by a non-admin in that forum was over 3 and a half years ago.

Strenuus and SlyPokerDog like this.
  9. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I hear what you guys are saying, but remember what Minni did at the end of the season. Beat GS at home. Beat us. Went on a terror and now they have Thibs as coach. They will get it together and be a force. They are my biggest concern over the next 5 years.

oldmangrouch and BBert like this.
  10. KeepOnRollin

Now that they have Thibs I could see that having a decent chance. Before? Meh. Who knows.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  11. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Prior to getting Thibs, they had a decent chance of developing the studs they have into a contender. NOW that they have him, it's almost a certainty (barring injury, of course).

Wiggins may be "overrated", but I would argue that he's a better all around player than CJ. KAT is only a rookie, but I'd be willing to bet that if you gave NBA GMs the choice of him or Lillard, KAT would be the choice of the overwhelming majority. Tyus Jones, Ricky Rubio, Zach Lavine, Shabazz Muhammad, and Gorgui Dieng--that's an excellent group of young role players. Plus they're going to add another top-5 pick this summer. Buddy Hield, for instance, will likely be able to contribute from day 1.

Yes, I have no qualms about saying that despite the fact that we won 15 more games than they did this year, unless we pick up a significant addition in free agency, they are closer to being a contender than we are.

UKRAINEFAN, BBert and Orion Bailey like this.
  12. KeepOnRollin

I think I am on board with all that but the last sentence. You are saying that next year the Wolves finish higher in the standings than us if we don't make any moves but resign our own guys?

13. PtldPlatypus

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that making the jump from good team to contender is significantly more difficult than making the jump from lottery team to playoff team. The key elements, IMO, to making that jump are efficiency, defense, and a go-to superstar. Even if we have a better record, I think they will be ahead of us in regard to those specific characteristics, primarily because of Thibs (better defensive coach) and Wiggins/Towns (more difficult to stop superstars). And as much as many of us hate him, a distributing PG like Rubio is the absolutely perfect guy to have with their other core players.

IMO, the Wolves will make the jump to 40+ wins next year, and will be a contender by the 2018 season. I don't (yet) have the same level of confidence in this Blazer team being a contender in that same time frame.

Minstrel and Orion Bailey like this.
  14. KeepOnRollin

So you are saying future contender not next year's contender then I take it? That is what I must have gotten wrong. They can't be a contender when at best getting 6th seed. On paper all the rest makes sense. But they were supposed to make bigger jumps then they have already in the last few years. I say they need to prove it. I not handing them anything (not that they would expect me to I am sure) because they haven't shown anything yet. I agree Thibs could be what breaks them through though.

15. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

So you guys are kinda circling back around to this eh? ;)

16. PtldPlatypus

Sure, if we're talking next year, then yes, there is certainly a greater likelihood that the Blazers are a contender next year than the Wolves. But yes, I understood the question to be future contender, so that's why I went with the Wolves.

Regarding the previous years where they were "supposed to make jumps", most of those years were built around Kevin Love; obviously that's no longer the case. The past couple years have been building years, by anyone's reasonable view. Next year will be as well, as these young pieces and their new coach try to mesh. And who knows, maybe they won't work together well at all. But based on the pieces I see, they're in very good position.

Well, obviously. I mean, I saw MM's question, and instantly thought "Of course it's the Blazers, how could anyone possibly think otherwise?!" But then I saw your post, and it completely changed my thinking.

I commend you on your brilliant insight, and bow to your superior analysis.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  17. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Thibedeau?

I've long scoffed at the idea of MIN being good. But they're no longer being dragged into the depths by Flip/McHale. And they have a bona fide beast in Towns. Not sure about the rest of their roster, but if we can go to the POs with Aminu/Vonleh/Harkless as starters, I think Thibedeau has a decent chance of turning MIN into a decent team.

18. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Thanks!

*Rubs nails on shirt*...

19. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Wiggins is a worse defender than CJ and isn't the shooter, distributor, or efficient scorer.

Towns on the other hand ... I thought he was extremely overrated when he was drafted.. Now I think he's a top 3 Center in the league.

20. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Wiggins is not a worse defender than CJ, let's cut the hyperbole.

PtldPlatypus likes this.