On The Fan Isaac Ropp just said

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, Mar 13, 2017.

1. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

No, you need both offense and defense.
    Cj for Butler or Lillard for Butler is a lateral move.
    Simply because CJ + Butler or Lillard + Butler doesn't bring Portland any closer to a ring than Lillard+CJ.
    Portland has 4 years left on Lillard+ CJ's contract. Unless your bringing back a better player who puts you in championship contention now. There is not reason to make moves, just to make moves.

How many top 10 defensive teams, who weren't also a top 10 offense won it all in the past 20 years?
    You must have offense and defense to win in the playoffs, teams who settle for one or the other don't win.

2. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    We do not need help in the backcourt. We need help at PF and to a lesser extent at SF. This clamoring for Butler makes no sense to me.

3. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

4. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Yep. Defense wins championships. Chandler, Brewer, Butler, Marion all great to above average defenders.

We have? Nurk.....maybe?

5. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Because he can play small forward? Because we have a plethora of other players that can play two guard? Because Butler is arguably a better and more well rounded player than CJ? Because...... I can't believe it's not butter?

6. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    gotta be a bit careful. Often players are granted superstar status after they win the championship.

7. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    It still does. There was something like only one basket in the last 2-3 minutes of game 7 last year and that was a long jumper by Irving.

They were combined with the best player on the planet in the last 10 years. We have nothing close to that on this roster.

8. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

But the fact is their team defense improved surrounded by different players and a different defensive strategy. Hell they even had Love starting along with them. So my point is their defense or lack of is not set in stone like the poster wrote.

They don't need a Lebron to improve their D, but yes stud teammates are needed to make a jump.

9. chzbrgr

chzbrgr Well-Known Member

uhhh very easily....

Lebron fucking James

TBpup likes this.
  10. chzbrgr

you cant just say he wasnt the reason when he lead the team in EVERY STATISTICAL CATEGORY

SMH with this fucking guy

Cavs brfore lebron
    19-63//21-45//24-58//33-49

After
    53-29(lost in the finals)//57-25 (Champs)

learn basketball then post

Orion Bailey likes this.
  11. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

lol. it'll be okay.

12. Pinwheel1

What are you talking about? The post was comparing Kyrie and JR Smith's defense compared to CJ and Dame. It was said by you and I quote : "It is fair to say that these two together will not be able to cut it defensively, because to date they haven't been. It's that simple."

Well IMO it's not that simple. I pointed out that Kyrie and JR actually did get better defensively and they started on a championship team. Of course Lebron was a huge factor but so was the scheme, and it was also because they put more effort into it. If you knew basketball as much as you claim you do you would know players can get better defensively. Just look at every player who gets traded to SA. They all improve significantly. Patty Mills is a great example. If he can, so can Dame and CJ, especially surrounded by better defensive players.

And I never said Lebron was not the reason they won the championship. Of course he was. How about you learn how to read and then fucking post?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    Orion Bailey likes this.
  13. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Thanks for clearing that up!

14. chzbrgr

You dont even read what you post do you?

You asked how I could 'ever explain Kyrie and JR winning a chip if they are so bad defensively' and I answered you with what is obvious to anyone who actually watches basketball that when you have a top-3 player all time who has made 7-8 consecutive finals appearances its pretty easy to discern why. The crux of your argument is that if we had lebron or kawhi or KD then it wouldnt matter if dame and Cj are bad defensively (thank you captain obvious). You're not wrong, but over here in the real world, where... you know... they actually play the games, I hate to break it to you but Hall of Fame players dont just show up one day. Which leads us round robin back to the start of this whole debacle which is the fact; you know what a fact is dont you? That Dame and Cj have not shown at any time in their careers to be even average defensively. Go ahead and try to find some evidence but Im not gunna hold my breath that some day they will magically figure out how to navigate a screen or stay in front of their man. If "defense wins championships" and if that is the stated goal of the franchise it is more than fair to assume that they cant cut it (because they have shown no ability to) on the defensive side. Not that I dont love how they play the game on offense, or who they are, but players arent judged by regular season wins or what could have been if they had one of the 3 best players of all time fall into their lap.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  15. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I feel an edit and warning coming up. ;)

16. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Ya think?

17. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

:biglaugh:I got my big laugh for the day!

18. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Hey, I'm just glad i'm not the most recent on that list anymore!!!!

19. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

You were fine up until here. I'm pretty sure even you now that is a personal insult.

BNM

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  20. Pinwheel1

I am not going pick at your whole post, but what you are missing from my point is the fact that Kyrie and JR did improve their defense. You can't possibly have watched the finals and not acknowledge the improvement that Kyrie in particular, has made in that area. Yes they won it all because of Lebron, but Lebron just like everyone else in the history of basketball, has to have help. Otherwise he would have won it his first time in Cleveland. If Kyrie and JR (and KLove for that matter) had not improved their team defense, then Cleveland would still be winless in the finals. You have admit ......they got better!

Again SA is a better example. Sure they have had some great players, but it's the system that makes the difference on D. You go to SA your defense tends to improve, you leave and your defense tends to get worse. Now granted we are not getting POP in your "real world" but these are not the only examples. To make a blanket statement that players like Dame and CJ can't improve their D makes no sense to me.

Orion Bailey likes this.