One thing I have never understood about Paul's money

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Natebishop3, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I addressed a couple of the names in your short list there. Did you see how they are doing so far this year? Please explain how they would make us better. That is the point right? To get better?

Just because you picked a few other names, doesn't mean it would have made any difference. Where is the difference maker?

2. Cippy91

Cippy91 Habitual Line Stepper

The difference is you could of got a few of those guys for the price of Evan Turner.

Etwuan Moore, 43 percent from three this year. Would be nice off the bench at the two spot.
    Jeff Green averaging 11 points on 49 percent shooting. Better than Turner, fills SF spot.
    Joe Johnson as solid as can be, true vet, similar numbers to turner but WAY cheaper
    Courtney Lee 41 percent from three averaging 13 points a game. Once again, better and cheaper than Turner.
    Wesley Johnson not doing as great this year as past years but still cheaper than Turner
    Ellington is another solid guy averaging 11 points per game.

That's just touching some upgrades on the wings and for that year. Would I trade for these guys now? probably not, I am just giving an example, you could of signed 3 of these guys for what Turner and Meyers got, would be actual assets at the moment and would of made the team better. I don't see how you can argue that.

BonesJones and tester551 like this.
  3. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Jeff green signed for one year at $15 mill. He wouldn't be on our team this year or we would have had to pay him more.

NM, not gonna go through name by name. Sure he could have signed them, and what would their value be now? How would have they improved the team?

You admit you wouldn't trade for them now, but if you would have then, they would be on the team now. Hmmm Maybe NO DID have some for site and realized he didn't wan them on the team either? But you still would have signed them knowing now you wouldn't want them.

Hmmm okay..

Do you not see how ass backward that is considering you are expecting NO to have insight that Meyers and Turner shouldn't have been signed to that much?

Cant have it both ways.

4. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I don't think it's unreasonable to think Neil should have known in 2016 that $70M for Turner and $41M for Meyers were both ridiculous.

I don't know about you or Cippy, but Courtney Lee is one guy on that list that I would love to have at his current level, and for whom I'd love to deal Turner for if we could.

Imagine we had offered Turner a deal more commensurate with his prior production (remember, even he was shocked at the amount of the offer), and then signed Lee to a deal like what he got from New York, not matched Crabbe, not re-signed Leonard, and retained Harkless. The team would be better now than it is, we'd have no Ezeli or Nicholson dead money, and still be under the tax. That's not at all a far-fetched scenario.

Hobbesarable, Cippy91 and Minstrel like this.
  5. Cippy91

I just told you all those guys stats this year and all of them are better than turners on cheaper contracts meaning they have trade value. I gave you a list, i give you stats and names on how they can help and you play dumb. Well fuck Courtney lee is a great 3 and d player. We sure could use a wing to knock down threes. Etwuan moore is undersized but hes hitting threes at 43 percent. Of course I wouldn't trade for them now but at the time you have the space so you use it or lose it and these are the players who you could package together and get others out of say this offseason or at the deadline some deal could of been done. It's not ass backwards. Those guys contribute. Turner barely does and his insane contract makes it so much worse. If he was cheap, it would be easier because somebody would want him. Meyers doesn't play and we are paying him 10 mil a year so what does he do for this team? nothing.

6. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

No you didn't and no they are not.

I will say Courtney Lee, would have been good. But most of the names you listed I already refuted due to what they are doing now and/ or their per 36.

Now to your bolded, I play dumb.

How is it dumb for me to point out that you admit you wouldn't trade for them now, meaning, that they wouldn't do us any good now, so whats the point two years ago????? So use it or lose it two years ago, and what value would the have for us now?
    Turner is an $18 mill expiring next year. That's an asset. None of the guys you listed aside from Lee, I believe would be an asset for us next year.

Not playing dumb, just don't understand your ass backwards logic on this.

7. Cippy91

It's not an asset, at all. I don't know why you are delusional about this and defending the turner signing but okay sure, see if we can move Turners contract at all while getting something of value in return. Yes, Courtney Lee would help right now. Any of those guys would help right now over Turner especially if we had a couple of them over one bloated Turner contract. I don't know what is so hard to understand about this. Yeah, we wouldn't have kept most of the names on that list, why? well let me explain to you again, they are assets. Assets that actually help us in case we needed to do a deal because they play solid and have pretty good contracts. Can you explain to me what Meyers can be traded for this offseason? what about Turner? absolutely nothing is the answer unless we wanna package them with a pick for a salary dump. What was Crabbe? oh yeah, not really an asset because we got nothing for him, go figure. Harkless, if he can play consistently is the only asset we potentially have from those summer signings and even then you can't get much for him in terms of value. Those guys I mentioned, all assets and all could be moved because they are solid and have good contracts. Are they game changers? no but they get you one package closer to the game changer to make your team a contender

tester551 likes this.
  8. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

How is an $18 mill expiring contract NOT an asset? We see it every year man.
    Not even gonna read the rest of what you said, because you first sentence is plain wrong.

Everyone knows large expiring contracts are an asset. Especially during the trade deadline.

9. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Also, it doesn't even matter if the W/L record would be better/worse with one of those other players. What matters is that many of them are infinitely more tradeable than Turner. Turner is what limits our flexibility. I'd rather have a tradeable player who is net-zero -- or even net-negative -- relative to untradeable Turner. But, as a few of you have already pointed out there are multiple players who would both be better on-court, and be better trade assets providing us greater flexibility.

tester551 likes this.
  10. Cippy91

I can't believe you are serious. Jesus christ

11. Cippy91

That's all I am saying too. I am not saying I want those guys on this team, I am saying we are WAY better off with a couple of those guys on the squad because of the fact they are tradeable as opposed to Turner which just isn't. He holds no value

tester551 likes this.
  12. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Okay, so I may be a bit behind the times. It look like prior to 2015 expiring contracts held much more value than they do now because of some CBA changes.

http://theclassical.org/articles/the-end-of-the-expiring-contracts-era

However instead of saying You cant believe i'm serious, how about looking this up for me? :) Arent you the one who asked me in my first post why I was so argumentative? I suggest you pay attention to how you talk to people and if you cant handle that same edginess back at you then chill out... JESUS CHRIST super star! .

I am a fair person and can admit when IM wrong. I talk to you the way I do because you talk to everyone else the same way.

I did also find a few other articles where its still a mixed bag as to whether an expiring is still a good asset or not. The vast majority of these say they still have value, just not nearly as much as prior to 2015.

This is how the big boys do it IMO. ;)

And I am STILL under the opinion that Turner will be tradeable next year to a team looking ot dump salary for the off season.

We will have to agree to disagree, but yes IM FUCKING SERIOUS...(big boy talk)

13. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

If you don't keep up with the changes in the CBA, then I also assume you also don't really keep up with the realities of the NBA economics.

So long story short, you have no clue what you're talking about.

Cippy91 likes this.
  14. soobiased

soobiased New Member

So long story short, you have no clue what you're talking about.

LMAO...

Cippy91 likes this.
  15. Cippy91

So you back pedal and then forget twice you said my logic was ass backwards but now you are the bigger person? lol okay

16. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

i still think it’s ass backwards. And I am the bigger person.

My point was you talk abrasively but get all pissy when someone does it to you.
    It’s funny the heat you toss but how little you can take is all.

Now back to the topic before I offended you with my arguementative behavior. Lol

I still believe NO will be able to rid us of turner as an expiring. Just not sure it will bring a star back. But there will still be options in my opinion.
    I do not think we are as screwed as some think and I do not believe dames prime years will be wasted over the next two. He will have 3-5 prime years after that.

17. Cippy91

I am not upset at all, I destroyed your argument and somehow that turned into you being the bigger person because you decided to make it personal as opposed to keeping it to a back and forth but OOOOOOkay

18. LayneStaley

LayneStaley Well-Known Member

Badass
    You no what’s funny about most message boards, at least the ones I have participated on, is that a lot of people really feel like they are being attacked if everyone doesn’t acknowledge their opinions as an absolute fact or truth. How lame would it be if you posted something and then everyone just accepted it. There is a reason none of us work in an NBA front office. I know I can be a dick or come across harsh sometimes but every time I post something I fully expect 50% of the board will probably disagree and I’m fine with that, the fact people are even acknowledging your opinions by agreeing or disagreeing is a good thing in itself. I’ll stop preaching now.

BonesJones and Orion Bailey like this.
  19. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Cippy read below. You are the one who asked from the outset why I’m being argumentative, as if it’s something personal. It’s not.
    That’s all I have been referring to.

And you didn’t destroy anything. ;)

20. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

ASSumptions.... are just that. ;)