One trade people will hate but we need to make.

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by cmeese47, Feb 21, 2014.

1. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

Maybe that's it. I always thought HCP and others posted on here through thick and thin and I don't remember this much hate last year at the end of the season. But I miss gaps of time on here and am not the best authority on who posts and doesn't post. I just read HCP's comment and thought I was on to something. Maybe not.

2. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Last year nobody thought the team was going to do well. At one point we had the best record in the league and I think a lot of people bought into it. The team has come falling back to earth and is playing at about the level that many people thought they'd be at before the season. It's been hard for some people to adjust their expectations.

3. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    My kitty's breath smells like cat food...

4. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    It's interesting to see the win/loss difference. I figured we'd get killed on that one. However, we actually improve.

5. cmeese47

cmeese47 Well-Known Member

Yes Lillard has a higher ceiling but how long will it take to reach or is this his ceiling with slight improvements in efficiency and defense? I love Lillard know trading a young piece with his upside is a major risk and personally I would be okay keeping him but I do not believe this team as situated is a title contender. Additionally, I do not foresee the team changing much in the future.

Say LA, Lopez and Matthews all resign after next season The team remains virtually identical and it is up to Leonard, McCollum, Robinson to make significant improvements. I just do not see this team as situated becoming a title contender. Does this move do enough, I have no idea but I certainly think changing up the team if we fail again in the playoffs is worth discussing even if it means trading someone like Lillard or Aldridge as foolish or unpopular as it may seem.

6. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    HCP, does your job with the Blazers really take that much time during the season, or are there other projects? I'd be interested to know how the truck crew spends its time. No offense, I always assumed it was a few hours of set-up, the game, the post-game, then cleanup and shutdown. What else is there?

7. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    Well, Mrs. HCP does honor two-for-one coupons for all Blazers Broadcasting employees...

8. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    I think Irving is more talented, but I think Lillard may be the better leader. Hence, my vote is "no".

9. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

My thoughts after reading the thread in its entirety:

HCP - Good to see you posting!

This trade makes Batum have to pick up the scoring A LOT... Conley isn't a legit #2 scorer, so we're going to have a lot of games that ended up like Wednesday night (we're not getting 30+ from our bench every night, and Conley isn't going to offset a bad LMA enough to have a chance to win like Dame could, even with the poor team record when Dame scores 30+.) I understand the want of defense, but I truly believe it's a personnel problem that sits in the seats in suits... not the actual team. Under no circumstances should we trade our future for a middling package of people that most likely won't make us "good enough" to make a deep run in the playoffs.

Do you need great defense in the playoffs? Sure. But you also need 2 legit scorers to make sure you score more than you give up... and the drop off most nights from LA to Batum is not going to counteract the defense that you want.

Patience is a virtue.

cmeese47 likes this.
  10. Natebishop3

The problem is this, Dame is arguably better than Conley right now, and he hasn't hit his ceiling. That's why it's a bad trade. He's only 23 and he will only get better. I can see mortgaging the future by trading guys like CJ, Robinson, etc, but not Dame. Not for someone like Conley. You only trade Lillard if it's for a clear upgrade, and Conley is NOT a clear upgrade. Neither Conley, nor Allen, is as young or as talented as Lillard. The only way I trade Lillard right now is for an equally young and talented player, like Irving, who wants out of his current situation. Irving could be a top five player in the league. I'm not sure Lillard is ever going to be that good. You gamble that Irving will continue to improve because he has the kind of ceiling that Durant and LeBron have. Dame most likely does not.

11. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

Nate, are you really trying to have a serious discussion about trading Lillard for Conley?

12. Natebishop3

He wanted to debate it. I'm debating :devilwink:

13. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Not really the case entirely. I pretty much have stopped offering opinions because it instantly turns into an argument.

To me, that is what has changed in the forum over the last several months.

14. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    The other item that isn't touched upon is how well each PG fits the team system. Lillard is a magnificent fit for Stotts' system. Conley wouldn't fit nearly as well.

It was a brave attempt to start discussion. It may have been trolling, it may have been honest. Bottom line, however, is it would be a pretty dumb move.

15. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    SlyPokerDog, you're a moron. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2014
  16. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

I would personally attack SlyPokerDog.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2014
  17. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!

18. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

19. Natebishop3

I personally think the team's early success and recent struggles are what caused the problems. When was the last time the team looked as good as it did? A lot of people bought into it and truly believed that we were ready to contend. A few of us saw the problems with the bench and the unsustainable shooting percentages. There has been a lot of fighting because the team polarized the two sides of the fence. I think if the team had started out playing around .600 ball, and was around 5th, we wouldn't have seen most of this fighting. Instead, they played way over their heads and people argued over whether it would last.

20. HomerLovesKoolAid

HomerLovesKoolAid I have a well-known member.

You don't want to see her post history!