Exclusive Ongoing Struggle: Can the Blazers win in the Playoffs?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by TBpup, Mar 8, 2019.

?

Will the Blazers win in the 1st round?

1. YES - with HCA

2. YES - even as a lower seed

3. NO - even with HCA say against a healthy Rockets team

4. No - they are just not built for post-season success

5. YES - they are going to the Finals like Chuck & Kenny said

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

1-4 is better than 0-4.
    However that alone doesn't equate to a better team.
    With that logic, gsw was a better team when they lost in the finals, posting the best record ever. But were not as good of a team the years they won with a lesser win percent than thier record season.

id say they were a better team when they won it all because they won it all. Even though thier records did not equate as such.

oldmangrouch likes this.
  2. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

So, we have gone from discussing winning a series to winning 1 game. Keep setting the bar lower and lower and you are always a success. I'm giving myself an award for getting out of bed this morning!

3. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

And the underlying story is unearthed. Lol. This is really what matters.

Like @BonesJones said. Awards are given out for tieing your shoes these days( or was it tieing your tie?)

I need more trophy space at this rate cause ima champ!

Reality is we arent a better team until we show we can beat the teams that keep beating us. And this doesnt mean once in a while.

Whether that happens with a coaching change or roster change, until we CONSISTENTLY win , meaning win a series, what does it matter if we improve the 10th man on the roster?
    The team has not improved when you compare it to the rest of the league. And thats all that matters.

TBpup and oldmangrouch like this.
  4. borim69

borim69 Well-Known Member

Yep 1 win is better than last year. Last year we got swept by AD and Jrhue freakin Holiday who did manage to go on and win 2 games? in the second round. Any team we meet in the 1st round if we don't have HCA is going to be better than the Pelicans last year period. So yeah 1 win is an improvement

5. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Well done! :cheers:

Orion Bailey likes this.
  6. borim69

borim69 Well-Known Member

Really? so by your logic if I cant walk into the gym and lift the worlds record on deadlift the second time I try then I should go home and drink beer and smoke cigarettes and give up? Is not going to the gym and lifting 2 pounds more each time or 1 extra rep is that not an improvement? I said we have improved as a team I did not say I would be home lubricating the leprechaun because we only won 1 game. I also said that if we did not get HCA we would be a first round exit. So if you are going to quote me please use all the information at your disposal not just a phrase edited and clipped. RIF.

7. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I'd say one thing...if you DON'T think the Blazers can compete in the playoffs it might be time to tune out the playoffs.....I'll be watching either way..I try to enjoy the sport game by game without these expectations of domination by the franchise...small victories..even winning a quarter is entertaining to me. I love one pt overtime buzzer beater wins in the playoffs...the OKC game was about as close to a playoff game as we have had this season.

TorturedBlazerFan and CupWizier like this.
  8. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

"well, the good news is we got the arterial bleeding stopped; the bad news is there's gangrene"

so then, Portland has HCA in two straight first rounds and goes 1-8 and somebody is trying to cast that as a positive. The Blazers would be 1-12 in the playoffs over the last 3 years, but at least the 1 win came recently...so let's celebrate and stay the course! At that rate, Portland would only lose in the first round 4-3 when Dame has an expiring contract

9. riverman

riverman Writing Team

This is the old "history is doomed to repeat itself" narrative...personally I don't get it. Most teams that went through what this team did after losing it's starting core wouldn't have made the playoffs once over that span …..making the playoff for 6 straight seasons is showing that you don't have to tank when you rebuild a roster...I think it's impressive..Philly fans and Net fans were nowhere to be found for many, many seasons ...we're still here and never left..that's a successful franchise...just check out recent Laker history, coaching and roster changes....that's a train wreck in the biggest market in the league with it's franchise player a lot closer to pasture than Dame is

Titan and CupWizier like this.
  10. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    Why do you continually misrepresent what posters say in this forum?

11. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Ahhhh yes, the old records reset in the playoffs post. You're so right Cup, it is a brand new season.

12. CupWizier

retired
    Thanks. I enjoy your snarky but unneccesay responses. :beatinto:

13. wizenheimer

do you realize what I was responding to was the statement that only one win in the playoffs this year would be "an improvement"...??

I wasn't predicting what was going to happen (and I haven't)....I was saying what I thought about somebody else's idea of what only 1 playoff win this year would mean. Don't you think that's a little different than the "narrative" you somehow extrapolated from what I posted

let me ask you simple questions that should have a simple answers: Blazers get HCA in the 1st round this year; then lose the series 4-1. Is that a success? Further, should losing that series 4-1 be judged in the context of being swept in the 1st round the previous 2 years? Are they related? Would a 1-12 playoff record over three straight seasons really have any silver lining because they manged to win 1 game this year? Would there be a case for optimism in the fact that Dame was 23 when he hit the series winning shot against Houston, and 28 when Portland managed 1 win in the playoffs before being eliminated?

oldmangrouch and TBpup like this.
  14. wizenheimer

oh my god....that has to be one of the most hypocritical pot-meet-kettle bullshit posts ever. The stench of irony is overwhelming

you are the biggest thread-derailer in this forum, and you do so as the CEO of Straw-Men-R-Us. Misrepresentation is your M.O. It's your lifeblood and your spirit-helper. It's what you do

thanks for the laugh

Orion Bailey likes this.
  15. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    This place is frickin' Looney Tunes.

The range for the Blazers' possible post-season performance outcomes ranges from another 4 game sweep exit to Kenny and Chuck nirvana. There's absolutely nothing that's going to change between now and the playoffs in terms of roster, coach or GM. We all have our personal opinions as to whether the team is improved and has a chance or is doomed to another dismal first round failure. Nothing anyone can post is going to change those preconceived ideas at this point. Once the playoffs conclude, for better or worse, then things can change and ideas may actually be worth something. So what is the purpose of all the bickering right now?

Oh yeah, this place is frickin' Looney Tunes.

Hoopguru and CupWizier like this.
  16. CupWizier

retired
    Lillard is 28 now so he couldn't have been 28 when the team won a game in the playoffs a couple years ago

17. riverman

riverman Writing Team

sorry if I misread your post...I skim often here....if I mistake anything it's on me and in answer to your 4-1 question...making the playoffs even winning one game is how you get your young guys experience...we're not a team full of old vets who've been there done that so yes...it's an education you can't get in the practice facility and it's part of why we get a Jake Layman after 3 years

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    CupWizier and Orion Bailey like this.
  18. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Stand up man. More should be like you.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    riverman likes this.
  19. CupWizier

retired
    nice deflection but you never addressed my question

20. riverman

riverman Writing Team

buckingham guard.jpg
    If I had to choose another moniker....standman would get some serious consideration! I'd probably use another picture...

Orion Bailey likes this.