Ooohhh yeah! Why Randy 'Macho Man' Savage is wrestling's enduring antihero

Discussion in 'Pro Wrestling' started by truebluefan, May 20, 2020.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I CALLED LANNY POFFO the other day. Lanny is a former professional wrestler, and his bones play a sonata now anytime he stands up. He's 65 and divorced, and he still peppers his everyday conversation with the sweaty aphorisms of his life's work. "I'd rather have your envy than your pity!" he crows at one point as we chat about Netflix shows. Later, he explains how he spent most of his career cast as a loser in the ring. "You see, I was what we call a jabroni," he says in the way you might mention you once worked in sales.

Lanny tells a story. It is 1977. He and his big brother are just getting started in top-tier wrestling but haven't really broken through. One night, his brother says to him, "Lanny, I'm really struggling with my interviews." The interview is the part of the gig where a wrestler has to hype the match and make everyone watching feel something: love, hate, disgust, patriotism, xenophobia, whatever. It just has to be something. The worst wrestler is the boring one.

read more https://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id...-macho-man-savage-wrestling-enduring-antihero