Game Thread Opening Night

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by BigDaddyAl1973, Jan 14, 2021.

1. BigDaddyAl1973

BigDaddyAl1973 Well-Known Member

Accountant
    Down 2 goals...

1st goal off a bullshit penalty
    2nd goal cherry picker 2 on 1...

Need to step it up

2. BigDaddyAl1973

Accountant
    2 faceoffs on the PP and the rangers lose both of them..that can't keep on happening...horrible PP..and now another ranger penalty

3. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

Rusty start but Johnson really does suck pretty bad.

4. Rangers94

Rangers94 Well-Known Member

New year...same soft defense lol

5. Rangers94

Igor looking every bit if a rookie. Gotta give him the hook there.

6. Rangers94

Only period one of game one but this team is definitely too young to have not had exhibition games. Showing big time tonight. Hopefully they can put together some effort tonight and not get embarrassed but if this is a sign of things to come, thank god it’s only 56 games haha.
    And before anyone starts freaking out, yes I’m aware of no exhibition, lots of young guys, etc, which is why I very much doubted this team would be a playoff team this year. I am disappointed in Igor though. On that 2 on 1 he never even bothered trying to be aggressive nor did he get set. On the third goal he just looked totally lost.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  7. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Maybe Gorton will get off his ass and get a center that can win a fucking faceoff. Chytil 1 for 4. He sucks in the dot. He's not a center.

8. NYR Fan

NYR Fan Well-Known Member

Rough period. I guess to be expected from a young team with no exhibition games. Igor looked bad. Johnson struggled. Sure they will get better as the games move on, but in a short season you need to get off to a decent start, so hopefully they improve next game. I'd guess Georgiev starts game 2.

9. NYR Fan

We know their needs, # 2 C who can win a FO, and another quality LD. We saw it crystal clear in the first period of the season. No surprise I guess.

10. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

Johnson sucks moose dick. Miller has a lot of nerves understandably bit at least laf looks like a seasoned vet. Igor with a shaky first period. That d combo of d’Angelo and Johnson is deadly for us. The difference in the 2 coaches is painfully obvious. We can’t play any worse than we did in the first....at least I hope not!!

11. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

Not a big Smith fan but he’s a 100 times better than Johnson.

12. NYR Fan

Not sure what the coaches have to do with it. One has maybe the youngest team in the league that was clearly nervous, has a bunch of young kids in the lineup, and had a shaky goalie. The other has a vet team that made the ECF last season. Not shocking I guess the Isles got off to a much better calm start.

13. BigDaddyAl1973

Accountant
    They blew the whistle...umm if that was the case why replay? We got fucked

14. kreidertime

Shutting this shit off. I'm seriously starting to question whether Quinn knows what the fuck he's doing. His team defense has sucked dick since he took over.

15. NYR Fan

As much as we are getting on Johnson, I actually think the bigger issue will be # 2 C/someone who can win a FO. I think it is going to be a huge issue this season. We do not win FO's. Kills our possession time and control of play.

16. Ranger71

It's probably going to take 2 weeks before they show any real continuity. The defensive lapses tonight are a bit much.

17. NYR Fan

Not a good performance. I actually don't think anyone on the team played well or stood out in a positive way (maybe Lafreniere the first 2 periods). Let's hope they got the nerves out of their system, and they play much better on Saturday night.

Few notes:

I'd start Igor in goal again. We need him, and I think I'd let him play into his game. My guess is Quinn goes with Georgiev though.
    Miller struggled, which is expected from a rookie in game 1 against a tough team. I wonder how Quinn handles that for game 2. Same as Igor, I put him back out with Trouba for another game.
    I think Lafreniere looked solid. He should play a big role for this team.
    To no ones surprise - # 2 C/winning FO's is going to be a big concern for this team. LD is also going to be a big concern.

Looking forward to hopefully a much better performance in game 2. Tonight's game was pretty much over 5 minutes in.

18. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

With almost 2% of the season under their belt it's obvious that a young Rangers team with a few rookies making their professional debut doesn't match up well against a physical conference finalist full of seasoned vets. Think I'll wait it out a few games before hitting the panic button.

SaveLundy and Greyvtrayn like this.
  19. kreidertime

Where is the defensive system is my question. Quinn doesn't know how to put one in. Gauthier looked really good. I think he's going to breakout. Honestly, I don't think it will take long before they try big time to get Dubois over here. He's not a good faceoff guy yet but he's better than Chytil who sucks and he's a legit number 1 one center talent. Even I would have a hard time not offering up Kakko in that deal. I'd rather try DeAngelo, Chytil, Kravtsov and Jones. All depends what other teams are offering. I don't L.A. is going to be willing to give up that because they have so much rebuilding to do. We might be the only real serious offer out there for him.

20. Ranger71

I still have concerns about Kakko and whether he can be a big time scorer and finisher. I know it's early and he's 20 but i just don't know. He has gotten stronger and seems more comfortable with being in the US but i could see him topping out as a 55 pt player, which isn't good for a #2 overall.