Politics Opinion - It's ok to say you were wrong.

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by TorturedBlazerFan, Oct 1, 2019.

1. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    I try to avoid politics a lot. I admit I'm not a big fan of the DNC or the GOP, I haven't liked a candidate they've presented in the Primary in a very long time. So maybe this is just that I'm not a good politician, or I would be bad at the game of politics, but what is really frustrating is that no one seems very good at saying I was wrong.

It can't be political suicide to get up in front of something and say you know what, we got this one wrong, or I shouldn't have said that, or my facts were incorrect.

I've been thinking about it quite a bit as I read the impeachment stuff, and political forums here and other places. It strikes me as just weird how much people dig into positions, they can't take a step forward or back they say this is the hill I'm going to plant my flag on and I'm not moving even in the face of all evidence showing that that's not the right hill to go with. Sometimes taking a stand is good, and needed, but sometimes just saying maybe I was wrong is the right step. Which really leads me to this. Why doesn't the GOP, Republican voters, "the right", whatever we want to call them just take a step back and say, "yeah the swamp needed to be cleaned out, or there were things about Trumps campaign we latched on to, or maybe putting Trump into the primary in the first place was just a bad decision".

We can go into both-sideism's, and deflect, and all that but I really struggle right now understanding those who are willing to plant their flag with Trump and just say nope that's my guy. It seems like a better strategy for the Republicans would be to get rid of Trump, find a new "voice" before the elections and run someone who leans a little more towards the center, will be good in debates against EW or whoever comes out of the DNC.

I guess I don't understand why at this point they've decided they can't just say, we were wrong about Trump, and move on, in my opinion being able to admit you were wrong, accept the responsibility of it is just part of being a mature functioning adult.

2. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

You know.....if you keep bringing reasoning and objectivity into this forum you’re gonna get a reputation. And make everyone’s head hurt. Just sayin.......

3. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    I thought I was wrong once. Turns out that statement was the first time I was wrong. :biglaugh:

4. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

They don’t think they are wrong.

The Professional Fan likes this.
  5. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    The problem is that there's just enough "wrong" with both sides to make people feel like they have an excuse in accepting the flaws in their candidate.

Now, with a candidate as flawed as Trump, I would call that delusion, but to each their own.

6. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I guess I am of the opinion that at some point you (general not you specifically) have to stop saying oh they do it too, and they have problems of their own, and just say you know what "I" had a problem, or problems, or made a mistake. There is basically no introspection going on to figure out how they can make themselves, their "party" or stances better. I get that both sides have issues, but in this case, with this President, it's almost baffling to me that there is such blindness to whats going on in their own walls.

riverman and Chris Craig like this.
  7. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I agree, that's why I couldn't vote for him. That said, I have acquaintances who voted for him because of his anti-abortion stand. I have others who were fed up over illegal immigration and voted for him because of his "big, beautiful, wall" mantra. There's always something that justifies your vote, in your mind at least. I go with character first. I voted independent.

riverman likes this.
  8. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    It seems to me, you ask a question, that is not open to answer. (2nd quote) You probably asked the question based upon your point of view, the first quote, that currently is not an open question either.

Trump won the last GOP primary, defeating 17 other candidates that had challenged him for the right to be the GOP candidate. There is no grand wizard that anoints the person. So the only way to replace the President as the GOP candidate, is for someone else
    to come, challenge him in the primary and win the job! Take the role away from Trump. There is no person on the horizon to even speculate whether they could do it. Who knows how many think the way you suggest? But it is irrelevant. They have no replacement ready willing and able to sideline Trump.

9. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I think that's true, but he may very well sideline himself.

10. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Is it that or is it, they know they are wrong and just refuse to admit it. Like Trump they can just deny without consequence. Maybe feel a bit of that power.

It's sad party lines have divided the country like it has. Dems and Republicans are pretty much enemies in a way. Pretty fucked up.

Hoopguru likes this.
  11. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

many people out there are without decency, and this President has exposed it. As far as do they believe it or are they just refusing to admit it, sure maybe it’s both. But I think they are in support of him. I think A TON of voters in 2016 were swayed by his celebrity status. I have no respect for anyone who still supports him after all of this. I give people a pass for 2016, but now? No way.

riverman likes this.
  12. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Ha!
    I am the exact opposite.
    My first vote for President was for a man of that turned out to be of despicable character. JFK. The next was probably even worse, I didn't vote for him, but that was not the reason. Most that have followed have not been stellar characters either. Probably the two best men, character wize, to serve as President during my life time, are Jimmy Carter and Barrack Obama. But then those two are the worse performers as President during my life time.
    No sir, I will chose the man that can best perform the duties of the office and hope to hell they do not embarrass me as my President.

e_blazer likes this.
  13. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    It happens. LBJ did it in 67, took himself out. But he had zero hope of winning. Trump is not going to take himself out, nor do I think he should.
    As it stands today, whether you like the man or not, I do not see a candidate that has chance of winning. Joe is gone, the Times says EW is full of shit.
    Who?
    ----?

This is why we have impeachment talk, they have nothing else.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    e_blazer likes this.
  14. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Looks like Trump failed

15. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Is there news I might not have read this morning? Otherwise no.

16. Chris Craig

It is open to answer. You just can't bring yourself to answer it.

riverman likes this.
  17. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Answer what?

18. Chris Craig

He is the most embarassing president ever

Lanny likes this.
  19. Chris Craig

The question he posed

20. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    It is absolutely an option for the Republicans to have other serious contenders run, and to nominate someone else. Yes, I asked questions based on my point of view, who doesn't?
    I just don't get why people are staunchly defending Trump's actions, as a person or a leader.

Chris Craig likes this.