Notice Oregon bill cracks down on racially motivated 911 calls

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by dviss1, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    It prevents making a 911 call because someone looks suspicious if the only reason they have for feeling the person looks suspicious is that they're not white.

dviss1 likes this.
  2. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

No they're not. They're gonna fucking THINK before they use 911 as their goddamn customer service line...

3. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

See how easy it is y'all?

4. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    So, you think the problem is fixed by black people taking the following action. Someone calls 911 on them, the police come (guns drawn?) and you file a counter charge of discrimination. You show up in court, black of course, and you win your claim? The world is a better place!!!!

I don't know, I could come up with some alternate scenarios but... I think I will let you have your day. The alternates don't go so well.

5. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

I'm tired of answering questions that could be answered if you simply READ...

I JUST SAID

It's not a silver bullet it's a good first step.

When are you gonna choose to understand that shit??? Jesus...

6. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    So now a person can't make a 911 call if the perp is black. That is about what I thought. I can see the results of this not always good.

7. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Oh, I think I do understand it.
    It affects very little of the state even though it was the legislature that did the deed.
    The use of 911 in Portland is to now be used carefully, if the perp is black, don't make the call cause the results are hard to know. Best not to do it.
    Alternatives to be discovered. Down side to be discovered.

8. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    Sure they can. You seem unwilling to actually read what I said. I said that the reason for why the person is suspicious can't be that they're black (or non-white generally). If they're suspicious for other reasons (like, they're creeping around in your backyard or they're looking into a neighbor's windows) and just happen to be black, of course you could call 911.

dviss1 likes this.
  9. Road Ratt

Road Ratt King of my own little world

Yes, but this seems, at least in my head, to fall into being more than just a simple false 911 type of call. Regular false 911 calls, generally, fall under directly telling a lie. While this type of crime might just as easily fall under some "well intentioned" nutjob with a gun and strong impulses in their head telling them to act.

10. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Of course you are right Minstrel. Go for it.

11. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

Ha!.....think. Them bitches be crazy.

12. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    I'm glad we agree that the law doesn't prevent calling 911 about someone who happens to be black, as long as their being black isn't your reason for deeming them suspicious.

After all, considering someone suspicious simply because they're black would be awfully racist. Racism is bad, right?

13. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Totally.

Well, it is a hell of a rallying Cry! Widely used today.

14. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Anyone going door to door in this age looks suspicious.

That's your high bar for proof of racist intent?

15. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

This is why I generally don't engage him. He is completely unable to see another perspective besides the white male's.

16. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    The #1 way to recognize a burglar or home invader is if you see someone who you don't recognize as a neighbor going door to door knocking on doors (to see if nobody is home, or to see if a woman/child is home alone). Any LEO or burglar/rapist will tell you that.

Race doesn't play into it, and a person's intent can never be proven.

All this law will do is result in less 911 calls and a slew of unnecessary deaths.

MarAzul likes this.
  17. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Please understand I mean no disrespect but I'm trying to wrap my head around this to an extent.
    I obviously do not understand what it's like to be you, nor do you understand what it's like to be me. I do put forth an effort to try to understand why other people (including you) react to certain situations the way they do. To Empathize, and do my best to understand, but I think(?) we would all say we can't know for sure exactly how someone else perceives a situation, or how their neurons clicked to make a reaction to the perception.

The second part is really what I find interesting, and maybe I need to your help to educate me here. I generally just try to see people as people. I'm not blind, I know you're black man, and I know some guys are brown, or orange as well, but ultimately I think of you as a human, as a person, and your skin color, sex, world views, etc are all secondary to that. If that makes sense. I'm not sure I'm understanding that I should look at a Black man and think, oh that's a Black guy, my first thought would be oh that's a person.

When you say you choose how you want to be seen, isn't that only partially true, you can make a lot of choices for how people will perceive you, however, many people, in this case, racists will see you a certain way no matter what you do?

Shaboid and dviss1 like this.
  18. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    I've never called the police in my life.
    Once when I was about 11, I was shooting off fireworks late at night in a city park. The police came and shined their spotlight all over the athletic field trying to find me but I lay flat on my tummy and they couldn't spot me. What a criminal.
    Another time I went from apartment building to apartment building ringing the door bells. Nobody called the police 'cause that's what kids do. Must have been some keep off my lawn type that called the police when I was shooting off buzz bombs, sparklers and very small skyrockets in the park.
    I guess I don't hang out in neighborhoods where you really need to call the police.

19. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    I called the cops last week because some lady hit rear ended me and then took off, but before that, I hadn't ever done it.

20. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    It shouldn't be too difficult to put yourself in the shoes of someone who gets the police checking up on them on a regular basis just because of their skin color. I imagine that I would feel like I wasn't really free to live like other folks. Think about it. Every time you walked down a sidewalk in a White neighborhood and you have to be looking around to see if some police officer were coming up on you to check you out or if someone was giving you a disapproving look from across the street. That sucks.
    I remember when I was in high school and I would walk home with this very friendly black kid. We would arrive at my house first. I would invite him in for some dessert that my mom always had on hand and he would say no thanks. I often wondered why and I finally figured it out. It was because my household was all White and he was uncomfortable around White adults. These are things that those of us on the other side of the fence don't think about. This is why I struggled to understand and only years later figured out.

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.