Game Thread Oregon @ California, 12:30pm FS1 / Beavers at home.

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Oct 29, 2022.

1. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

The only poll that matters is of course the BCS. Once it gets going, what will sway those voters is anyone's guess.

The Ducks are a very good team, but if they somehow garner a playoff invite they'll have to be completely on the top of their game to even hang with the elite schools.

STOMP

Hoopguru, AldoTrapani and SlyPokerDog like this.
  2. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Yeah offensively I think they can hang. Not so sure on the defensive side. Their o line can compete with anybody in the country.

BBert and SlyPokerDog like this.
  3. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

After CO, three very tough games, and either the D improves and steps up or?

oldmangrouch likes this.
  4. ABM

ABM Happily Married In Music City, USA!

Commercial Real Estate
    Man, I'm really torn this season. The Ducks, Bulldogs, and Vols are my three favorite teams.

5. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

So far, I think the Pac 12 has done a very good job of not cannibalizing itself. Oregon has not lost in conference, and Utah/USC/UCLA/OSU have only lost to Oregon or each other. Hoping that trend continues through next weekend.

6. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Not a lot of road favorites cover in this conference. Oregon had a 10+ point lead the majority of the game, as high as 25. Game was never really in doubt.

This is far better than the road letdown games under Mario Cristobal (just look at Oregon's last two trips to the bay against inferior Cal/Stanford teams).

Nothing to complain about here from a fan stand point in my opinion.

7. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I can picture Oregon winning the Pac-12 championship; I have a hard time believing they'll do it being 12-1. Their last 3 games are all major land mines, and their defense is very vulnerable. Having a bye week or an easy game to break up those 3 tough games would help a lot, but all 3 in a row? Yikes! Even if they are 12-1, I doubt they'll be able to climb all the way out of that 46 point hole against Georgia....although a redemption-rematch of 1 vs 4, teacher vs student, dogs vs ducks might have a lot of appeal for the committee and for the networks.

Georgia is in, even if they lose one. I think a 1-loss Tennessee or Alabama would be in. And a 1-loss Ohio State or Michigan would be in with a no-loss OSU/UM definitely in. That's 4 teams right there and a no-loss Clemson would bump one of those 1-loss SEC/Big-10 teams out. And it's possible (not likely) that TCU could run the table

that's why I'm not buying the Ducks to the playoffs talk. Maybe a 1-loss USC would have a small chance because the media is determined to snorkel around in the trojan/riley/williams ocean of hype.

BBert and oldmangrouch like this.
  8. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

The BCS was discontinued in 2014. In regards to what will sway the Playoff Committees rankings, it's pretty much a math formula and has very little to do with their opinion, despite what most think.

Follow Dave Bartoo on twitter if you want a highly educated prediction on how each weeks rankings will turn out. His track record is incredibly high.

9. wizenheimer

Oregon left a lot of points on the field in the 1st half yesterday. Hutson dropped a sure TD; two uncharacteristic 4th down fails on really questionable play calls (questionable for Dillingham at least); and that tipped-ball interception on the 2 yard line. Add 17 points, which seems reasonable, and it would have been a 59-24 game. Have the 2nd/3rd unit defense actually make a 4th-Q/garbage-time stop and it's 59-17

but it may be better to have had those failures...it gives the team motivation to get better

10. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

it was the first quarter. We hadn’t scored. Kindly go back in time and respond to my post during the first quarter of the game.

11. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Whom do you think will drop out of the polls? South Carolina and Cincinnati... anyone else?

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  12. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

No doubt they didn't play a perfect game, but it was more than a solid performance in my eyes.

13. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Me responding to you in the first quarter:

"You aren't seriously taking a 2 drive sample size for each team to determine what level they're playing to, are you? You know better!"

STOMP likes this.
  14. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

We have lost plenty of games over the years by playing down to competition. Those games started out very similarly to that one.

15. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    My general rule for college football is unless the team with more talent is down by 10+ going into the 4th quarter than there’s no reason to panic.

The more talented teams are loaded at each position. While the scrubby teams generally are thin.

Just my rule of thumb

Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
    SlyPokerDog likes this.
  16. wizenheimer

just an interesting factoid: Oregon's two primary RB's have combined for 163 runs and 26 pass receptions. That's 189 touches without a fumble. And yeah, I know this is a jinx post, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Tince and SlyPokerDog like this.
  17. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

HailBlazers likes this.
  18. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Trust me I think about it every game, think they are due. I am amazed it has not occurred. The colder wetter weather coming up won't help though.

19. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

Happy to see it, not sure why you quoted me though. I didn't make any prediction or anything.

20. wizenheimer

what's crazy is that Oregon has not lost a fumble this season. They have fumbled 3 times but recovered all of them

Pinwheel1 likes this.