Oregon Ducks 2024!

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by wizenheimer, Mar 6, 2024.

1. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Almost the definition of ‘embarrassment of riches’

2. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

3. SlyPokerDog

LOLZ!

BBert likes this.
  4. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

**** I don't think it would ever happen*****

If the Ducks hired Deion I think I would legitimately stop watching until he was gone. I think he's a trash coach for the way he treats his players.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  5. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I don't hate Deion, but if I were a Colorado fan, I'd hate how he's trying to build their program. To you point, I can't see Oregon even considering him unless he had a track record of roster construction and staff management opposite of what he's doing right now.

Plus a Nike + Coach Prime marketing combo would make the world explode. Oregon would be the most loved/hated program in the country.

Last edited: May 4, 2024
    SlyPokerDog likes this.
  6. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    I don’t think Lanning is going anywhere anytime soon. He’s smart enough to know how good he has it. He seems loyal, embraced the culture and the Ducks really rolled the dice with him. Almost reminds me of a Mark Few situation. They can pay him whatever he wants. Had the Ducks not moved to the Big 10 maybe it would be another story.

Last edited: May 4, 2024
    UKRAINEFAN, STOMP and SlyPokerDog like this.
  7. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    If they hired Sanders, put me down for hate.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  8. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

Lanning & staff are on a roll....former Alabama safety Peyton Woodyard just committed to the Ducks. A week ago, Oregon had two soft spots in their defense, on paper at least: at defensive tackle and at safety. With the Harmon and Woodyard commitments the Ducks have a loaded defense....on paper and quite possible on turf

9. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

10. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    That IS a good day!

11. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Crazy how the Ducks are sitting the prettiest they've ever been while the Beavs the ugliest.

12. wizenheimer

there are vague rumors (by some un-sourced people as far as I can tell) that OSU/WSU may be getting a provisional invite to the Big-12. Sounds like it would be along the lines of Stanford/Cal's pittance cut from the ACC.

it could actually create a major mess as the two schools have actually signed contracts with the MWC for football and the WCC for basketball and other sports. Those two conferences have gone thru the effort and expense of adjusting their schedules already. They wouldn't be happy

I'd also think it would abrogate the agreement signed in the settlement with the 10 departing Pac-12 schools about future Pac-12 revenue. That was based upon the Pac-12 still being the Pac for at least 2 years. My guess would be if there is actually any truth to the rumor, OSU/WSU may be using that future revenue to buy their way into the Big-12. I doubt that the former Pac-12 teams would make a stink about it, but lawyers could be circling

13. SlyPokerDog

The lowest was the 0-0 Civil War game and a ton of people led by Dwight Jaynes called for both schools to leave the Pac-10 because they would never be competitive.

Phatguysrule and BBert like this.
  14. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Ducks 2025 class is expected to gain Illinois RB Dierre Hill who will announce today at 1230.

STOMP

15. Driew

Driew Well-Known Member

Big 10 Network is at least on Youtube TV so I can easily watch it unlike Pac 12.

16. Predator

Predator The Godfather

Within the B1G it seems like it will be Ohio State and Oregon and then pretty much everyone else.

tOSU and UO are shelling out 20mm+ for the roster.

Next closest seems to be Michigan/Penn State/Nebraska somewhere in the ~15mm area.

17. wizenheimer

I'm not sure where you are getting those numbers. They may be close, but if they are from On3, you can't trust them. On'3 has some wacky formula they use to calculate an athlete's NIL value, usually ridiculously high for 'stars'. And they use the formula for entire rosters

nobody has sources in every one of these collectives that are distributing NIL. Those collectives aren't talking. Not yet at least. It's all speculation

it might be safe to conclude that Oregon may be in the top-10. I've talked to a couple of people peripherally involved in Oregon's coordinated programs (yes, they are coordinated). Their belief was that there were several SEC and ACC programs paying more in total NIL. tOSU pays more. USC is getting there. The competition is ratcheting up every year. I don't know if it's changed but I was told a couple of times that Phil Knight didn't like to be much involved in NIL. He was thinking that his money offered more leverage when building and upgrading facilities and infrastructure. That he wasn't a significant part of Division St. But again, as the transfer portal and NIL have evolved, he may have adjusted his priorities

the landscape is changing month by month it seems. The transfer portal keeps getting more traffic; NIL is expanding; there's a settlement in House vs NCAA (and each development makes the NCAA more irrelevant); Jaden Rashada has filed the first lawsuit about broken NIL promises.... it's wild. I do know I have some cautious optimism about how Oregon will adapt and adjust. By all accounts, Division St is about the most well run collective out there. And Oregon's athletic department, led by Rob Mullens, Dan Lanning, and Marshall Malchow (who was almost as important a hire as Lanning) are all top-notch

18. Predator

Predator The Godfather

Not from On3.

Don’t need sources in the collectives. A handful of agents/agencies negotiate 95% of the NIL deals.

It will be interesting to see how the competition ramps up, as I pointed out, there is a pretty size-able gap between tOSU/Oregon and everyone else — at least as of now. I would imagine they’ll continue to be a step ahead of most others schools for a while.

It will be hard for a lot of lower tier schools to match the amount and organizational investment.

A school like Minnesota is probably fucked.

19. wizenheimer

what are the chances he defaults? Probably small because in 15 years there had to have been major appreciation in value

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  20. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I would guess very low. He probably had the $1.8m back in 2009. Instead of paying off the loan, had he invested $1.8m and got a modest 6% annual return, he would've made roughly $2.4m on top of that $1.8m he was loaned.

Phatguysrule likes this.