Game Thread Oregon Ducks vs Auburn Tigers - August 31st, 2019, 4:30pm

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Aug 30, 2019.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

The Ducks did cover the spread!

2. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    I want to see if Tyler Shough can play. He’s 6’5 and was considered a great passer (not much of a runner) in HS.

3. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

He made about six throws better than that one. That one just ended up a TD. Cristobal is a PERFECT assistant coach. This game was lost due to some shoddy play calling, mis-using timeouts and not being able to adjust to Auburn’s adjustments to the Ducks after halftime. Having their receivers would have been enough of a difference to win, but they should have won anyway.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  4. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

By what measurement was this his best throw? He made a couple really nice throws, including one that was dropped for a TD. I'm not sure he's being asked to make many tough throws due to the receiver and play calling issues.

You say he never makes a big play, so does this not count?

5. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    No it doesnt, that was their 4th win of the entire season. They sucked that year. What was big about it? That Utah was ranked? That it helped them to a 4 win season I believe that was the second to last game of the season for them too.

They want to ever win a NC they need big plays in big moments by their QB’s. That was not a big moment for the school, not a big play for the team as a whole that year, yes you’d rather win then lose but there shot at “big” moments had long passed them in 2016 when they beat Utah...

6. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    He had a “good” throw to a wide open Johnson in the 1st quarter. A couple decent ones to Breeland but a vast majority of his throws were in the flat or screens. He made a pretty good threw on the run for a 1st. It wasnt that it ended up a TD it was he throw it high to where only his guy had a chance at it, that made it a good throw.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    hoopsjock likes this.
  7. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I guess you guys can defend Herbert all you want it, its opinion and I’ll respect your opinion.

So far Im just of the opinion he’s very much a game manager QB and the NFL talk is almost all due to the physique he fits the traditional NFL body. I think his actual playing of the game has left a lot to be desired.

8. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    I know I was quite frustrated last night and wasn't going to comment in here after the game started since I didn't want to do the same but...

What I see is a guy who is afraid to throw guys open or make anticipation decisions. He's great when the play design gets someone open or on short safe passes but I noticed several times on out routes in particular where the WR had a step on the DB but the throw would need to be in a tight window and he refuses to throw the ball so it's there when the WR makes his break. That is an absolute must in the NFL.

I'm not talking about throwing it up for your receiver on a jump ball. It's little things like hitting your receiver on the back outside shoulder even if he's covered.

Titan and UKRAINEFAN like this.
  9. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

So your qualifications for a big win are dependent on the talent/coaching around him and the opponent on the schedule, neither of which is in his control. Based off your criteria I'm guessing the only opportunities he's had to make a big throw would be against Washington last year (which he made some solid plays down the stretch) and against Auburn.

What throw in a clutch moment did he really screw up tonight? What play call provided a semi-open receiver down field that he should have hit?

10. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Could you provide 2-3 plays tonight where you saw this? I'd love if you provided quarter and time so I could go back and watch. It's difficult for me to make these judgements watching on TV because they rarely show the receivers down field, but if there are examples that would be educational.

11. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

There was one first down on the last drive where Herbert had a guy with a step on the DB and decided to pump fake and dive down to the line of scrimmage for no gain instead.

12. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Sweet, I'll check that out :cheers:

13. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

On the last drive the only play I could find where he took a sack was this one around the 2:30 mark.

upload_2019-8-31_23-44-4.png

He was rolling to his right looking at these two receivers, pressure came quickly, Herbstreit remarks how nobody was open, and he took a sack.

I suppose its possible he could've tried to thread the needle on the flat, but with 2 minutes left and a lead, throwing a pick 6 would have been far worse. Not sure the risk/reward was in his favor. Even if you disagree, one missed read a game is pretty solid.

calvin natt likes this.
  14. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    There was a play in the 1st quarter on the 2nd drive (7:35 left in the quarter) where Herbert rolls to his left. The play is clearly for Addison on a little out route. If Herbert throws it anticipating right when Addison breaks outside it's an easy completion even though the DB is in pretty tight coverage but Addison is open when he breaks. Instead he holds onto the ball too long and has to throw it away. Herbstreit even mentions on the replay that Herbert isn't trusting his eyes.

I'm not going to go back and watch for more examples, ha ha.

Tince likes this.
  15. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

So basically Oregon is almost as good as an also ran in the SEC.

Why can't we have nice things?

16. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    He had problems all night with letting the ball go, usually he would pump and about half way decide he didnt like it and fall forward, for a yard or so.

hoopsjock likes this.
  17. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Yeah he hasnt had a lot of chances, but he had Washington, and Stanford last year and part of the reason he hasnt had more chances is he hasnt made them good enough to be a part of important games.

Is it all on him? Of course not, but I still stand by he has done almost nothing football wise that looks like an NFL QB or like he actually deserves the “hype” he gets.

The hype is all physical tools. Herberts “legend” was made by how badly Taggart coached them when he got hurt in 2017. They were “ok” with him and terrible without (largely due to how they basically didn't trust Bermeister and just ran the same play over and over and over.

hoopsjock likes this.
  18. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I really want to ask what clutch throws did he MAKE???? Well he didnt make a major mistake, ok, but he really did nothing all around for most of the 2nd half.

hoopsjock likes this.
  19. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

20. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Honestly I havent been high on Herbert ever it wasnt just yesterday, so maybe its just seeing what I want to see, but here we are there shot at the NC is out after week 1. Thats fun.