Game Thread Oregon Ducks vs Auburn Tigers - August 31st, 2019, 4:30pm

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

2011 Ducks lose same game against LSU then win 10 in a row and 12 of next 13 games including beating Russel Wilson Bowl game.
    Very tough hurting loss but they will be ok...nobody expects them to win the naddy but they have a chance to win the Pac12.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  2. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Honestly, it's kind of playoff's or bust for me at this point. Don't really care about winning the pac12 or some random bowl game that no one outside of Oregon fans will care about.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  3. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

Definitely not out of it. If Auburn has a good season. They could have started off with the usual South Dakota or Eastern Washington and everyone would be happy I guess.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  4. Hoopguru

That's cool.
    Ive been a college football fan ever since I was a young boy as my father and uncles were too.
    For me its all about getting toe the Rose bowl and winning the grandaddy of them all, if at all possible.
    I always rooted for Pac8 teams and always root for Pac12 teams to beat teams other conferences. I always do win or lose.

e_blazer likes this.
  5. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

Also - how many times did the Ducks hike the ball without running the play clock all the way down? With Auburn winning in the final seconds that killed Oregon.

HailBlazers and SlyPokerDog like this.
  6. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Cristobal can recruit.

Tince likes this.
  7. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

c'mon TBF....four teams (out of 130) make the playoffs and no 2 loss PAC-12 team will ever get in (unless it's a totally fluke year and the 2 loss team is USC). The Ducks were 4-8, 7-6, and 9-4 the last 3 seasons, and that 9-4 record was padded with 3 wins against the weakest non-conference schedule the Ducks had in 15 years

so then, you're saying Oregon has to run off 12 straight wins (including the Pac-12 title game), then get voted into the playoffs (which they wouldn't if there were 4 other 1 loss teams from the SEC, Big-10, and Big-12) or the season is a bust?

that's simply unrealistic. For chrissakes, the Ducks had 4 losses in conference last season (while getting Stanford and Washington at Autzen), and you expect them to go undefeated the next season? That was never going to happen and even a 1 loss conference record was a real long shot. The Ducks have to play at Stanford, at Washington, and at USC....not a chance

yeah, Oregon kind of blew last night's game. As much as a 7 point underdog, essentially on the road, against a good team can blow it. They simply missed two great opportunities in the 1st half. Addison's drop of a sure TD, and the Herbert/Verdell botched read-option (and the right edge was wide open for Herbert on that play). Just give Oregon 10-14 more 1st half points, take away the Auburn FG, and the Ducks lead 24-3 or even 28-3 at halftime. After each team's possession in the 2nd half, the Ducks would have lead either 31-3 or 35-3. Game over because Auburn wouldn't have had the luxury of using a power running game in the 2nd half and keeping Oregon's defense honest. Of course, Auburn blew a couple of opportunities themselves, but not as significantly as Oregon did

you keep hammering Hebert. I saw Hebert make one bad pass all night...that last hail mary and that was bad enough to be a WTF moment. He can't miss the end zone by 7 yards throwing from 40 yards away. But other than that, he made several great passes, including about a half-dozen tight-window possession throws. Having watched the spring game, I think the Ducks, and Herbert, really missed Juwan Johnson a ton. He's the kind of physical possession receiver that could have killed Auburn in this game, especially considering Oregon's passing game plan.

it wasn't Herbert that dropped the pass in the end zone; it wasn't Herbert that told Travis Dye to have coverage busts on two wheel routes; it wasn't Herbert that was too slow on the defensive substitutions that left an Auburn WR open for a TD; it wasn't Herbert that tackled Spenser Webb (Breeland?) one foot short of the marker on 3rd down. Herbert wasn't even on the field when the Ducks ran that 4th down play into the teeth of the Auburn defense...when everybody knew they'd run left.

Auburn made two or three great plays on defense in the last 3 minutes. The Ducks didn't. That was the game and that's not on Herbert

try this out: Saladin McCullough, Rueben Droughns, Maurice Morris, Onterio Smith, Terrence Whitehead, Jonathon Stewart, Jeremiah Johnson, Legarrette Blount, LaMichael James, Kenyon Barner, Deanthony Thomas, Royce Freeman

that's 20 consecutive years of Duck running backs. CJ Verdell and Travis Dye just aren't in that class. The only RB they might be as good as is Whitehead, and the couple of season when Whitehead was the 'featured' back the Ducks went 8-5 and 5-6. I could make the same kind of list with WR's and the contrast over that same 20 year period and the last couple of seasons would be even more stark

the point being that this year and last, because of recruiting failures (thanks Willie) and injuries, Oregon has had their weakest set of offensive skill position units in over 2o years. That even extends to tight ends. It's hard for Herbert to be a gunslinger when he has little ammunition at receiver and a defense doesn't fear the RB's. Simply put: the Ducks just don't have the offensive skill to be a playoff team...not yet

another thing: from Bellotti thru Chip thru Helfrich, Oregon had an extremely successful strategy and philosophy with the offensive line. Steve Greatwood ran it extremely well. That was that Oregon 'grew their own' OLinemen. They recruited tall rangy guys with great mobility that would develop to great linemen as upper-classmen. And with that mobility, those linemen were always capable of getting to the 2nd level and blocking LB's and safeties. It worked exceptionally in the Pac-12. IIRC, Oregon led the conference in rushing for something like 13 straight years

Cristobal is changing that. He's recruiting beef...big time. He wants big physical OLines that can punish a defense; Alabama style. I really have some doubts it will work out, and the results so far have built those doubts because smaller quicker opposing front-7's have caused the Ducks all kinds of problems (WSU, Boise State, Michigan State). So far, Cristobal's lines haven't been that good at getting to the 2nd level and opening downfield running lanes.

Of course, they might have been much more successful if they were blocking for Reuben Droughns, or Legarrette Blount, or Lamichael James, rather that Verdell or Dye. And Herbert would almost certainly have looked like a much better QB if he was throwing to Pat Johnson, or Tony Hartley, or Keenan Howry, or Sammie Parker, or Justin Peele, or Ed Dickson, or Demetrius Williams, or Tim Day, or Jaison Williams or Dante Rosario, or Ed Dickson, or Jeff Maehl, or Lavasier Tueini, or Deanthony Thomas, or David Paulson, or Josh Huff, or Bralon Addison, or Pharoh Brown rather than too Brendon Schooler or Johnny Johnson

Sure, that was overkill on names but I was trying to demonstrate that Herbert has simply had the worst set of supporting skill players of any Oregon QB in the last 25 years. Herbert certainly isn't on the level of Mariotta or Joey Harrington. But put him on those Oregon teams of Darron Thomas under Chip Kelly, and he'd be considered one of the best ever.

I think you also have to account for this: Herbert had 3 different head coaches, 3 different OC's and 3 different offensive systems over his first 3 years as the starting QB. Even Mariotta would have struggled with that. A QB needs continuity and some high level supporting talent...Herbert hasn't had either

sorry for the friggin novel. I doubt anyone has read it all the way thru. I just get irritated when people give bad grades because they have unrealistic expectations

8. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I get your point. He went 18 for his last 19 in the 2nd half before the last play of the game. None of the throws were spectacular, but they were all competitions. When all the plays appear to be short routes because the inexperienced receivers struggle to get open, I'm not sure it's fair to expect him to make a great down field throw.

He was spectacular last year against Stanford and made multiple big plays down the stretch in the Washington win. If those 3 games are the only big games we're judging him off of, he was pretty good in all 3, completing 71% of his passes and averaging 263yds/game.

9. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I expect an experienced "Heisman candidate", type of QB to throw guys open, find their outside shoulders, put the ball where his receivers have a shot even if guarded. I'm not pinning the entire loss on him, but I think he is a majorly over-rated as a QB so far, he's been a game manager to me, doesn't really win you a lot of games, or lose you a lot either. Yes he's got the height / weight the NFL likes, but I don't see him making NFL type throws very often and I guess what I get annoyed at is that people have literally said he should be a number one pick, and tout him as a Heisman candidate and I have never once felt he looked like that type of QB, he looks like that type of athlete.

Also, HE made huge mistakes in all three, he fumbled the ball last night near the goal line, he fumbled in the Stanford game last year near the goal line. Both lead to points.

I think Herbert is just an "Ok / Good", college QB that gets talked up way more than is deserved.

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  10. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Ok Im on my phone so this response wont be as good as what your post deserves.

Its not that I expect a NC its that nothing else really is a fulfilling season for me. A rose bowl, ok? Thats nice but its a consolation prize for not getting 1st, its like a division championship in the NBA ok.

I get that Herbert hasnt been surrounded by Clemson / Bama level talent, but they have had good recruiting classes of late. I think its fair to say Verdell and Dye thus far dont look like LaMichael James or Deanthony Thomas, and I get that but I also dont believe that Herbert is making those guys better. Herbert might move on to the NFL and be the next Mahommes I don't know, but I very much believe he hasn't ever performed in college like the hype around him suggests he should. Yes he’s had good games and here and there a great one, but I dont feel like he makes NFL like throws and reads, I dont think he makes a lot of winning plays. The best thing about him is he rarely losses the game. Though in the stanford / Auburn games his fumbles led to huge momentum shifts.

Whats interesting though is those long list of names, very few of there offensive players have gone on to do much in the NFL. So its not like their college talent has ever been like Bama who churns out NFL RB’s.

Im sure the coaching and play calling doesn't help Herbert either. There are lots of factors and its not just Herbert, I just dont like all the hype around Herbert as some Heisman level QB or that he’s “number 1 pick”, worthy. Thats what irks me. He’s never really come close to Mayfield, Mariota, Manziel, Winston, etc numbers and WINS.

I’ll still enjoy watching the Ducks this year, but its frustrating that every shot they get to actually get some respect, for them OR the conference they find ways to lose. They continue to prove the points that their critics make. They continue the tradition that in those type of games they might come close, they may even dominate parts of the game, but they will find ways to choke. Its old, and definitely not 100% on Herbert, but also he’d get the “glory” if they won, so he can take some of the blame when they lose.

11. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I dunno. I was just happy they lost.

12. AldoTrapani

AldoTrapani Well-Known Member

Christobal is a terrible coach. Amazing recruiter. But he’s just not an X and Os guy

13. AldoTrapani

AldoTrapani Well-Known Member

Never liked him. Success just hasn’t happened with him at Oregon. I know he had some coaching changes and all but he won’t be remembered at Oregon..

14. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Thats the conundrum of CFB. You schedule weak and you get punished for not having a tough schedule. You schedule good opponents and lose and you’re also screwed. The idea is to be Bama or Clemson and it just doesnt matter lol.

15. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    I think this is where recruiting and the need for immediate gratification gets blurred. Alabama and Clemson are more talented because they have years and years and years of recruiting at a high level. Most of their backups are 3-4 star guys. It's great to have your school become a recruiting power but it's very rare that one or two good recruiting years leads to immediate success. You have to maintain it for at least 4 years so that the guys in the first good recruiting class get up to be juniors and seniors while filling holes and depth with the young guys.

Oregon is in a really weird position with a highly touted senior QB and mostly veteran offensive line but are pretty young with the rest of the offense.

16. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Oh I understand that. Like I said I didnt expect a NC, I just want one... Like really bad, that and/or a Blazer Championship I really want to see one.

I also really want to see them stop just finding stupid ways to lose. Dropped passes, fumbles on the goal line, leaving a WR open. Its just old...

17. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    I wish they'd go to 6 teams for the playoffs. Each power 5 conference gets one representative and then one non-group of 5 qualifier (give a team like UCF a chance). The committee still ranks the teams.

1 and 2 get a bye. 3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5.

It only adds two games to the whole season. The only problem is that it makes non-conference meaningless except to determine other bowl game eligibility but games like last night would help Oregon prepare for the Pac-12.

Did you want the NCAA to adopt the playoff? If so you're kind of proving the point of those against it that it makes everything else less relevant.

18. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I wanted a 6 or 8 team playoff. All power 5 get one rep at least. The 4 team thing a step in that direction, but it does make it so the other Bowls mean less.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  19. RipCityDSCPL

RipCityDSCPL Could be worse, at least it's not Lonzo.

How are they going to win the Pac12 when Washington is? Weird.

20. Hoopguru

Tough loss for sure!
    "How many in here remember " The Thrill of Victory, The Agony of Defeat" Wide World of Sports!

Even though Oregon lost last night I saw some things I liked and they can build on. For me# I like their secondary and #99 was a beast of the line. Also, their punter was super last night. I also like that they didn't cough the ball up in the back field except that one mishap on the handoff. They ran the ball back decent punts and kick offs and dint cough it up like they have over the years. And they really cut down on penalties which is a good thing for sure. Its just 1 game I know but remember 2011 they got rolled and looked terrible against LSU in the same game at Jerry's place, then ran off ten straight and 12 of 13.
    We did'nt get rolled at all last night and I expect them to start rolling themselves into Husky stadium. Quack!