Oregon State, Oregon agree not to use the term ‘Civil War’ for its sports rivalry games

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by SlyPokerDog, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I agree and disagree.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but hasn't the Army/Navy game long been considered a War?

Id say if our military doesn't care than none of us should care. :)

As an Athlete, especially in football, its very psychical and can fee llike a war or a battle.

I have no issues with school rivalries, beefing up thier motivation with some internal war games.

Speaking of which, we should then go back and change the names of movies with the word War in it that didnt actually have anything to do with any wars. Like War Games.

God of War, ETC.

Like @dviss1 said, this is all fluff and doesn't do shit. Its just a "Look! We support BLM, We changed a name! Now back to normal life everyone!"

Sorry. Doesn't work like that. And If I were Black, I would be insulted by things like this. You think I'm soo stupid that I would just think you can change a name and shit is all good?

Fuck that.

2. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    No idea about the army / navy game, but at least those students have a better shot of figuring out what an actual war is.
    Yeah, sports are grueling, but how would any of us who haven't been in a war actually know what it's like? We don't. Can totally guarantee you though I'd rather have prime Ray Lewis head down coming at me than to be in an actual war though.

Movies and entertainment trying to depict something, or use a play on words is a little different than a bunch of athletes trying to act like they're a bunch of green berets behind enemy lines when in reality they're trying to shoot a ball into a hoop.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  3. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I think, based on my knowledge of history, Its almost more for the fans than the players, now that I think about it? So maybe some of my points are moot anyhow. LOL.

I just think we are going overboard in trying to do anything we can to please, JUST to please, rather than really looking at BLM's requests and focusing on what THEY want changed. Not what we THINK they want changed.

There is such a thing as over political correctness in my opinion.

4. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    I kinda doubt most "BLM" people really care what the Ducks and Beavers call their rivalry game heh. :)

Orion Bailey likes this.
  5. riverman

riverman Writing Team

There have been more lynching's in history though which is sort of the point

6. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

And that's my point is this is all just superficial fluff and not even needed. waste of time, money, etc.

Id rather see the school focus on more actual issues, like racism on campus, etc.

7. Dutchman063

Dutchman063 Active Member

If BLM really cared about black lives they would be in chicago every week protesting black on black shootings

8. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Lol.

9. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Ive wondered why they haven't tried to help there and why Al Sharpton has been a mediator in that city.
    At this point everyone should be trying to help Chicago's violence. I mean, people have to be a torn about it as any other sad situation.
    I get pissed when I don't se politicians, activist like Al and groups that advocate for life and justice turn their heads and something like Chicago.

10. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

The point of what?

11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

erasing our war with the south over slavery from being a nostalgic fond term used without blinking. Hey, one either gives a shit or doesn't.....I'm here to listen and adjust my white privilege concerning how we move forward from racial profiling and unfair practices

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  12. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

As am I, but there have been hundreds upon hundreds of civil wars. Not just ours

riverman likes this.
  13. riverman

riverman Writing Team

yeah...but context here is concerning Oregon....not Serbia and Croatia

14. Hoopguru

Should they change the names of Roosevelt, Jefferson, Wilson & Grant high schools? I wouldn't.

15. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I think honoring displaced leaders from Native American tribes or the Civil Rights movement would be educational for the students there.....Name Grant for Sitting Bull for example....name Roosevelt for Rosa Parks....etc....

16. GhostOfPGA

GhostOfPGA The late great Paul Allen

How about they keep the names of former presidents and IF new schools are built they can name them what you listed. It’s not complicated.

handiman and Hoopguru like this.
  17. riverman

riverman Writing Team

it was never complicated for me but I'm trying to listen, not direct these things....old terminology is something few of us thought had importance until it was pointed out to us....I'm listening

18. Hoopguru

Some HS's are Clackamas, Milwaukie, Tillamook.....

Eastoff likes this.
  19. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I was in the Taiwan when they completely threw away the old history books from Chiang Kai Sheks invasion and decided to highlight his genocide against 18 aboriginal tribes and the native Taiwanese leaders....and his massive land grab at the same time.....most of modern history he was written as a great hero and actually he was a horrible person, racist and killed many innocent people to grab power....they changed a lot.....this is happening here now...my wife had to relearn the actual history of the Mainland Chinese invasion of Taiwan as an adult after learning to praise him as a student

20. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

As a proud alum of Grant, remind me again what he did? I think it was just brought up a little bit ago, but I forgot. We were always proud because he led the Union to victory over the south right?