Oregon State, Oregon agree not to use the term ‘Civil War’ for its sports rivalry games

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by SlyPokerDog, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

EXACTLY. The fucking name of a football game is not what needs to be changed in this country

2. riverman

riverman Writing Team

It's not an issue directly related to you or I for the most part and Oregon did send troops east for the union....they also had segregation Jim Crow laws longer than most western states for a long time after the war,,at the time they were knee deep in the Native American wars having only become a state 15 years before the Civil War, most troops based here were sent here by the government...they also had a volunteer militia...

3. riverman

riverman Writing Team

for all practical purposes I agree with this but I'll let dviss be the voice for that drive...I'm here to listen and adapt

4. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Good series wasn’t it!

Pinwheel1 and riverman like this.
  5. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I'd personally like to see football go away....save some money for disability care in the future....that sport destroys brain tissue and knees

6. GhostOfPGA

GhostOfPGA The late great Paul Allen

They know the risk they’re taking, it’s a violent game. Abolishing it does nothing but hurt young men with immense talent who are potentially going to go to college AND potentially make millions.

7. riverman

riverman Writing Team

we disagree...my brother played fullback for Texas A and M in the 60s...he's passed now but football crippled him for life in college....where they don't make millions...I've known too many 35 year old ex football players who are disabled before they get to the pros and not rich but suffer for life....to each their own....boxing has the same terrible risk...more for the brain than knees...my brother was one reason I learned to work with quadraplegics after I retired from the school system and I never allowed my son to play the sport....I don't think it's a healthy sport at all...my son also went on to major in Sports physical therapy at the OSU and has thanked me for keeping that away from his life....my views on football are as unpopular as you'll ever find amongst American males...I'll live with that..on the other hand I love baseball and not many around here do

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    Hoopguru likes this.
  8. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Love College football and I played high school ball, I myself had a neck injury my senior year and since then I have zero curve to the neck, so I get flair ups to deal with. Back then 60's, even pop warner it was all about hitting without fear. We didn't really have any extra precautions back then other than pads. Todays game I know is safer as they do protect the head more and qb's. You are right about knees, even in todays game it doesn't take much to tear a knee. But thats the same with other sports to.
    I do approve of most of the changes made to the game for safety.
    I loved football and still do but no doubt about it, it's not for everyone and it is physical.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    riverman likes this.
  9. riverman

riverman Writing Team

My in-laws in Eugene and Bend are all U of O graduates as is my daughter in law...they are all season ticket holders and hold one of the biggest tailgate parties at Autzen there is....they offer me free tickets to games all the time.....My son worked Duck games to pay for his AP history tour of the east during high school....the Joey Harrington era...I'd rather do anything than go to a football game and have been to a couple of tailgates to bond with the relatives but now I haven't drunk alcohol in several years.....there's no point in it for me anymore

Hoopguru likes this.
  10. GhostOfPGA

GhostOfPGA The late great Paul Allen

That sucks for him and many others but the game has changed, it’s so much safer now and only getting better. Even if they don’t go pro they are able to graduate from a top flight school so, still I’d say it’s worth the risk.

11. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Removing the name Civil War from the rivalry games between UofO and OSU has nothing to do with any of you.

I will say it again.

Removing the name Civil War from the rivalry games between UofO and OSU has nothing to do with any of you.

Your feelings, your opinions, your donations, your families, it's not about you.

It's business. It's money. And most importantly, IT'S ABOUT RECRUITING.

Just look at football.

Ducks are vacuuming the top high school talent out of California.

Beavers are doing much better and doing great with California Junior colleges.

The Civil War moniker for rivalry games became low hanging fruit for other programs to whisper in the ears of 16, 17, and 18 yr old recruits and their parents that Oregon might be racist.

Sometimes when a kid is deciding on which program to choose something that small can make a difference.

And that's not even taking into account the corporate sponsors of these rivalry games that don't want their names attached to anything remotely controversial.

But sure..

Let's talk about how this is a disgrace to your great uncle Civil Cecil Johnson, and how lots of countries have civil wars, or how whatever strange tangents some of you are going off on.

SheedSoNasty and SlyPokerCat like this.
  12. riverman

riverman Writing Team

welcome to S2....how much did you pay Sly for his job and moniker here?

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  13. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

As always, you duck and dodge. You said no black person asked for the change, which isn't true, according to UO's athletic director. Instead, you focused on the second half of the original statement (saving lives) that the quote didn't apply to.

Those statements are contradictory. It can't be hurting recruiting if the Ducks are increasingly killing it in that arena.

Also, if anyone takes the Civil War term literally, the Ducks are the southern school and the one geographically symbolic of slavery, yet they're doing far better in the big recruiting states. It doesn't add up.

14. SlyPokerDog

Better to be proactive than reactive. When other schools in the Pac 12 can't get top recruits on their own merits they will find things to pick apart on the Ducks.

15. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

Sure, it's better to be proactive, but that's a lot different than, "The Civil War moniker for rivalry games became low hanging fruit for other programs to whisper in the ears of 16, 17, and 18 yr old recruits and their parents that Oregon might be racist." Maybe it'll be an issue down the road, but there's no evidence that it is yet.

IMO, it wasn't a sports (aka recruiting) decision at all. It was a school(s) PR decision, quickly pivoting before the quiet campaign became a very public one.

16. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Recruiting is PR. They are one and the same.

17. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    That's the problem though. This isn't about anything other than using a social movement to try to make themselves "better", it's not actually doing anything for the group that they're supposedly doing this for.
    Yeah, it's about "money" and "recruiting", but that's pretty insulting to those who are part of the social movement who want "real" changes in broken systems. Unfortunately for BLM, I think a lot of other messages and other "entities" are attaching themselves to the movement for their own gains rather than actually helping Black People, or minorities in general.

Business, corporate sponsors, recruiting, all that crap it's actually kind of MORE screwed up that so much of these "changes" are happening for those reasons rather than trying to figure out how to fix the actual problems.

18. SlyPokerDog

All I want from my college sports programs is to provide an environment for personal growth, education and equal opportunity for all the athletes involved.

19. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    This doesn't really affect any of those things though. They were already recruiting very well without it. We can't even say it's "proactive" when it's literally just a reaction to the movement going on and seeing other schools/states do things. I really don't care what they want to call their game overall, I just don't think this helps those they say it's helping.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  20. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Ill take it one step further and say I'm willing to bet( As Dviss indicated) This is just fluff and basically a slap in the face to BLM.

GoBlazersGo and dviss1 like this.