Oscar contenders

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Da_O, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Da_O

Da_O Abe Vigoda lives!

Listed favorite at the top

Best Picture
    The Social Network
    Black Swan
    Another Year
    True Grit
    Inception
    The King's Speech
    The Winter's Bones
    Toy Story 3
    The Kids are alright
    127 Hours

I really believe the Social Network is going to win. It's widely been the best reviewed movie of the year and David Fincher is a known heavy hitter that hasn't won one yet. Many people think that any director would've hit this one out of the park with Aaron Sorkin's writing, but he has been a pretty good director over the years and think this movie is worthy of winning. Still think Zodiac is Fincher's best film.

Honestly, I want Black Swan to win as Aronofsky is becoming one the many great masterful directors of our time. He's young so I'm sure he'll be up again.

Best Actor
    Colin Firth - The King's Speech
    Ryan Gosling - Blue Valentine
    Jeff Bridges - True Grit
    Javier Bardem - Biutiful
    Leonardo Dicaprio - Shutter Island or James Franco - 127 Hours

Colin Firth is probably going to win it as many people thought he was robbed for his performance in A Single Man, well Firth put together another performance that is sure be the favorite.

Gosling is the only other one I could see winning this. It's up to the academy who may think that Gosling is young enough to be up for another one.

Best Actress
    Natalie Portman - Black Swan
    Tilda Swinton - I Am Love
    Annette Bening - The Kids are all right
    Jennifer Lawrence - The Winter's Bones
    Michelle Williams - Blue Valentine

IMO, this is Portman's to lose. The only other possible actresses that could take it is, I think Swinton could win for I Am Love for the sheer fact of Swinton having to learn two other languages she did not speak fluently for the role. Bening is the other because the academy may not think she may be up for another one(Seriously, they seem to vote based on these things).

Best Director
    Darren Aronofsky - Black Swan
    Mike Leigh - Another Year
    David Fincher - The Social Network
    Christopher Nolan - Inception
    The Coen Brothers - True Grit

If Aronofsky doesn't win this, that would be a huge shock to me. Mike Leigh has a good shot as well.

EDIT: I changed Blue Valentine to King's Speech on Best Picture nominations. Even though I believe BV is a superior film King's Speech looks like it will get a nod. Also 127 hours has been nominated for Best Picture for almost every other award out there and so I'm also fairly certain it will get a nomination as well.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  2. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

This list makes me feel like I haven't watched any movies this year. I've only seen Inception. I'm sure True Grit will be kickass, though.

3. Da_O

Da_O Abe Vigoda lives!

The Social Network
    Black Swan
    True Grit
    Blue Valentine

Those movies are IMO the must watch films of this year.

4. ¹²³

¹²³ ¼½¾

I'm on the same boat. I watched a very limited number of American productions this year, but saw some great international movies.

5. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

I can see best picture probably going to Inception.

I think Black Swan will take enough awards. It was pretty good.

6. Big Frame

Big Frame Well-Known Member

Didnt John Wayne win an Oscar for True Gritt allready?

7. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

Yep.

This one isn't a remake, though. It is a new movie based on the same source material, FWIW.

8. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

I've seen tons of movies this year....but the only movies from any of those mentioned that I've seen is Inception, Shutter Island, and....that's it.

9. ¹²³

¹²³ ¼½¾

Just saw Black Swan's trailer. I have to tell it was not what I was expecting, but it looks interesting.

[video=youtube;5jaI1XOB-bs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jaI1XOB-bs[/video]

10. Da_O

Da_O Abe Vigoda lives!

Though Inception is a fan favorite I really don't see it winning. Big blockbusters, especially ones with as big of grandiose events such as Inception never win. While it is one of the best reviewed movies of the year, I'm saying it's going to fall short. Should be a shoo-in for Best original screenplay and Christopher Nolan has a real shot at winning Best Director.

The favorite to win Best Picture is the Social Network. It really is that films to lose. It is by far and away the best reviewed film of the year and based upon a story most everyone is familiar with. Trust me, if the Social Network didn't win, that would be huge surprise to me.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010