Oswalt holds the Cards

Discussion in 'American League West' started by truebluefan, Jul 24, 2010.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

"Houston Astros ace Roy Oswalt confirmed Friday that he is willing to restructure his $16 million club option for the 2012 season to find the right situation with the right team.

"I'm going to find a way to get it done," Oswalt told a gathering of Houston reporters. "I'm not going to go somewhere where it's going to be bad for me. And I don't want to put the Astros in a bad situation."

Oswalt's contract runs through 2011 and carries a $16 million club option for 2012 that a new club might wish to modify. Oswalt enjoys veto power over any trade and has indicated a new team would have to guarantee the option. However, the former 20-game winner has given every indication that he favors St. Louis as a potential landing spot, an indication he would modify the option.

Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak acknowledged "a lot of rumors" circulating about the team's trade blueprint but declined to discuss dealings with any team.

"The only way I can characterize things is that nothing is imminent at this time," Mozeliak said.

Oswalt has asked the Astros to send him to a contender. He insists the option will not become a deal-breaker.

"The money part I can work out with anybody, that's not a big deal," he said Friday. "We can work on doing different things as far as restructuring, whatever they want to do. That's not a big deal."

If the Cardinals have a fallback position, it might not involve Arizona Diamondbacks ace Dan Haren, who last month expressed interest in rejoining the franchise that traded him to the Oakland A's in December 2004 for lefthander Mark Mulder. The Detroit Tigers and New York Yankees reportedly have emerged as Haren's most aggressive pursuers.

The Cardinals, meanwhile, have tendered a two-player offer for Oswalt, according to sources.

The offer was rejected earlier this week and included shortstop Brendan Ryan and another player. The Astros are seeking more players, hoping to include at least one minor-league player.

Discussions with the Astros and other teams continue on the one-year anniversary of the Cardinals' trade for left fielder Matt Holliday. The possibility of acquiring Oswalt to fortify an already imposing starting rotation excites one faction of the clubhouse and creates concern in another.

"I got drafted by the Cardinals. I've always wanted to be a Cardinal for my entire career, which I would hope to be a long one," Ryan said Friday night. "The whole not-knowing factor is a little scary. It's out of your hands. I wouldn't want to leave here hitting .185. I know I'm better than this. I know these guys. I like where I'm at. I hope I stay here. This team has a chance to win it all. That's what it's all about for me.""

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/base...cle_4cb78092-16c7-5743-a56d-5323f0df8191.html