OT: Anyone looking for Cape Blanco tickets?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BlazerWookee, Jul 29, 2016.

1. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

HCD....hmmm, seems familiar.

2. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

Oh man, I am with you. I am not a fan of high singing guys in general. There are obvious exceptions. During the writing stage of songs though, you just have to be true with whatever is happening. And honestly I sing a bit like Ray Davies. Not going to stop.

riverman likes this.
  3. bodyman5000 and 1

Are you the singer? I couldn't really tell who was who other than I thought you were the striped shirt guy. I haven't paid attention if you've mentioned this stuff before.

4. theprunetang

Yeah. I'm the singer and the striped shirt guy.

bodyman5000 and 1 likes this.
  5. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    You know I don't think Volbeat is that bad. I admit the singer's vocal cadences can be annoying at times. But I dig that they are turning up the amps and kind of are trying to turn back the clock a couple of decades. I thought their cover of the Georgia Satellites' "Battleship Chains" was really good. But no I can't say I own any of their albums.

One band a friend turned me onto was Rival Sons. I was listening to them like crazy. I thought the lead singer Jay Buchanan had one of the best rock voices I've heard in a LONG time. Like Robert Plant meets Steve Marriott. Just that gift. But I guess the LZ comparisons were getting to him. He just slams the format hes playing. 'Oh I don't even listen to that kind of music. I started out a singer'songwriter....' Dude. Ozzy actually stops to tell you he thinks you're the best band around and you'd rather be doing something else?

K. I'll be moving on then.....

6. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Fool... I'm black and I know that's wrong:

7. bodyman5000 and 1

If Volbeat isn't some record exec kid's band I'll be surprised. The local station played it every 40 minutes when they first appeared. If there was a sliver of talent there they overplayed it until I cringed.

8. ripcityboy

self employed
    I don't know much about them. A friend of mine from Europe turned me onto them. One of the former guitarists from Anthrax joined them on tour. That's kind of why they turned my interest. I know the lead singer REALLY wants to make it in this countty. Their last album was a conscious effort to break them in America. But since I don't listen to radio or read the charts so I have no idea if it's working.

9. bodyman5000 and 1

It is anecdotal but most people I say the word Volbeat to roll their eyes.

10. ripcityboy

self employed
    Haha. Well I stopped knowing what was cool when my classmates' kids had started reaching their teen years. You stop even knowing how to relate to youth culture when you get a generation removed from them. I don't tell them what I think of the phrase "quiet is the new loud" or what I think of Mumford and Sons. I just quietly nod my head and move down the album rack to Alice In Chains. It's all good.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  11. bodyman5000 and 1

Same, you know more about it than I do. Oh well.

ripcityboy likes this.
  12. riverman

riverman Writing Team

The first thing I noticed when I moved back here was the lack of preparation a lot of bands had when gigging in public...it takes a good 6 months to get a band tight and ready to entertain...too many noodling, tuning, lazy bands that to my ear, just haven't done the homework and put in the time to rock a house from opening song to end. If there aren't enough venues or good acoustics for bands, there's a hole that needs to be filled. For every club that fails, there's an opportunity for someone else to get it right or try....I don't know why more clubs don't have house equipment that's top notch. Buddy Guy said if you can't make a living gigging...open a club or teach. He was onto something

Orion Bailey and ripcityboy like this.
  13. ripcityboy

self employed
    If my finger ever gains full mobility I'm calling you for a lesson.

riverman likes this.
  14. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

So true./ Same thing here. OB Productions. I've put most of my own shows on and find the bands to fill out the lineup. What band are you/were you in? Love to give a listen.

OMG MAJOR FAIL ON MY PART. ins in my cd player, how could I not list Clutch!

15. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Thats hilarious because, though I didn't think about it until was mentioned, I just watch the fucking purge two nights ago. Absolutely like that when they come to the door and ask for the homeless dude. LOL

Again, so true. Too many garage bands booking shows, but then I blame the clubs too. If the clubs refuse to book unpolished acts then patrons would trust more in knowing a quality show will be there regardless if they know the band or not, but yes.

I love Heather and the Ash, but they were notorious for this., Countless times I would walk in and go wtf is this? On a Saturday night, they would have open mic rap hip hop stuff.
    The clubs are as much to blame for less than professional acts, as the bands seeking stages to perform on are. Your gonna play if they are gonna let you right? Well you are if your young and its your first rodeo and all that...

This town, per capita, has more seriously good musicians than any other place I have lived. Very technically talented, just not alot of creativity to break into the modern music market. Too many musicians stuck on shredding solos and crunchy distortion still and music has moved on from that. Scan craiglist musicians wanted. Half of it is need bass for metal thrash band. Need screamer. Not singer, need a growler.
    Musicians in this town by and large are too set in their ways and unwilling/unable to break out of their comfort zone to keep writing music in a modern fashion.

All my opinions, but opinions that garnered enough backing that I formed the LEA, local entertainment alliance, 15 years ago with several promotors, clubs and other bands. IT lasted about 2 years and we put out a monthly news letter that went into the clubs. Everyone was for it, until they realized in order to provide better entertainment, it meant more work... well that was the end of the LEA for most lazy musicians.
    We used to hold our meetings at MT tabor Theatre until the musicians union local 99 got involved and offered up their building for us.

riverman likes this.
  16. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Link Please! :)

17. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

That was hilarious!!!!

So a guy at my work, Hard core country dude, locked his keys in his big ass truck at work a couple weeks ago. a crowd is forming as other employees give ther coat hangar a shot.

Then I see Anthony, a guy the size of a pro linebacker come walking up. I work with him constantly thru out the day and he is one of the coolest easy going guys ive ever met.

He comes walking up and just then someone is able to pop the door open. He yells out..."See what happens when a brotha walks up? Doors just pop right open!!!"
    Omg there was more than one person have a seizure due to the laughing fit that commenced. 2 people were actually brought to one knee on the parking lot pavement

dviss1 likes this.
  18. theprunetang

19. bodyman5000 and 1

^^^^pretty good without the dudes in it.

20. theprunetang

Haha.