OT JJ Hickson suspended 5 games for smoking herb

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by riverman, Sep 17, 2014.

1. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Couple quick facts:

Hickson's deal with Denver was first reported on 7/7. It's not as though he went deep into the free agency period before signing a deal. The moratorium wasn't even over.

By that point, however, Olshey had already renounced his rights and used all available cap space (on the Lopez and Robinson deals). There wasn't really a viable method, at that point, by which to magically create more cap space, and Hickson's roster spot had basically already been filled by Truck. Sure, Hickson at $5M would have been great as LA's backup, but the timeline just doesn't fit. If he had been down for that deal from day 1, I doubt that Robinson is a Blazer. That week of deal-seeking, while understandable, is in fact the reason there was no room for him to return, even if he did want to (which, BTW, I've never actually seen any evidence that he did).

2. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Yes, he signed July 11.

http://prosportstransactions.com/ba...ndDate=&PlayerMovementChkBx=yes&submit=Search

But as I said, Hickson would have waited a few more days if Olshey had been waiting on someone's offer sheet. But Olshey just plain didn't want him, and arranged the events. The mistiming didn't happen by accident.

The timing issue is like Mo Williams. Olshey signed Blake, with the result that Mo couldn't return. Actually, if Olshey had later wanted Mo, he could have cut somebody to get the roster to 14 and eaten his salary, then signed Mo. This "timing" issue can be circumvented by a GM, but never is, because it's the GM who has boxed himself in on purpose, to have an excuse to get rid of a player.

3. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

[video=youtube;Ucvta7xDo_4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucvta7xDo_4[/video]

PDXFonz likes this.
  4. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Holy shit I would rep you 100x for that if I could. Bravo sir, bravo.

Above the crowds above the clouds where the sounds are original, infinite skills create miracles.