[OT] Oden arrested

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Aug 7, 2014.

1. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

Of course this is a crime. Just like gun charges are crimes and DUIIs are crimes and if Oden hit another man it would be a crime. The crimes are then labeled as mistakes in someone's life and if the person has good NBA talent, would get another chance to play on a team.

Oden could have driven drunk, got drunk in a bar and hit a man or hit his girlfriend and he would be in the exact same position as far as playing in the NBA again. He doesn't get any kind of break because the victim is a woman. In fact if anything, the fact he hit a woman out of those three is probably the worst one for his reputation and the hardest for a franchise to overlook . . . which they would if Oden was good enough.

2. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Nobody here or anywhere I've read has marginalized assaulting a woman so I'm not sure why your inventing this perception.

Oden is a piece of shit for doing this and will rightly have a black mark associated with his name for the rest of his life. I never blamed him for injuries but this was an entirely different level.

3. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I don't understand where you're getting this idea that striking a woman is marginalized or easily dismissed. From what I've seen, even the mere suggestion that a man made physical contact with a woman is grounds for domestic violence. No witness necessary. No proof. Just her word and the man is taken away in cuffs. In the old days you would be correct, and my mom had to suffer through an extremely abusive relationship with her first husband, but now the courts sway heavily towards defending the woman.

4. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

It just struck me (oops, I went there), Oden is simply doing everything in his power to cement his status as Biggest Bust Ever.

5. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

The only good thing in all of this is that Oden is no longer identified as a Portland Trail Blazer. All the articles are referring to him as:

"Former Lawrence North standout and Miami Heat player Greg Oden..."

Thank you Pat Riley. Oden may not have helped you win another ring, but by signing him to ride your pine, he is not labeled a Portland Trail Blazer in the media reports of his criminal actions.

BNM

6. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

Where am I getting it from?

Ray Rice, 2 game suspension, team talked about his "terrible mistake".
    Ruben Patterson, pled guilty to rape, signed by Blazers, talked about learning from his "mistake".
    Lawrence Philips, college player drags his girlfriend down stairs by her hair, drafted in NFL, signed by several teams who talked about his "mistake" until it was realized he could not play at NFL level.
    Kobe Bryant, apologizing for his "mistake".

That's where I get it from. It stops being a "mistake" when he can't play.

7. rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 Well-Known Member

I disagree with your first statement. I try hard to be a better alcoholic every day.

8. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Much as it pains me, I am going to play devil's advocate for a moment.

This case seems to fall under what I call the "burger flipper" rule. If Oden was just some guy working at Burger King, this story would not be on the national news. Nor would his boss be getting involved. It would be just as serious for the victim - but everyone would let the criminal and/or divorce courts work it out.

Oden needs and deserves to be held accountable for his (illegal) acts. That doesn't mean this story should be showing up every hour on Sportscenter. The story really isn't "news" and the coverage is sinking to the level of voyeurism.

9. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

Agree that what a "celeb" does becomes news by definition, oldmangrouch.

I don't think you're really being devil's advocate. I'd feel the same about a burger flipper.

10. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

Why do you always assume it is a male athlete who get's the "mistake' treatment?

What about when woman athletes commit assaults? they get same treatment. Hope Solo, US olympic female goalie charged with assault . . . mistake until she can't play.

It's not a male/female thing.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  11. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

This literally applies to any crime committed by any talented athlete. Why do you want to single out domestic violence?

Michael Vick. Animal abuse. Still played in the NFL.

Donte Stallworth killed someone while driving drunk. Still played in the NFL.

Plaxico Burress carried a loaded gun into a club and accidentally shot himself. He did time. He returned to the NFL.

Ray Lewis was connected to a murder, and still went on to have a HOF career.

It boils down to talent. If a player is good, he will always have a job in his respective sport, unless he can't stay out of trouble. It's not just domestic violence. It's murder, it's drug charges, it's animal abuse, it's drunk driving. These are all "mistakes" that are overlooked because of talent.

12. riverman

riverman Writing Team

20 years from now there will be a documentary about this guy's life story and it will get 2 stars

13. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Looking at a few Miami forums apparently Oden's drinking was an issue with the Heat. The radio guy saw a few incidents himself.

Honk once, honk twice.

One is about to sign a $300m endorsement deal, the other just paid a $10k bond to get out of jail.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  14. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Links?

15. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
  16. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

17. Haakzilla

Haakzilla Well-Known Member

SEOWebDesignLLC.com
    ...did he punch her in the face with his fist or his purple crayon?! :dunno:

18. NewsSource

NewsSource Banned User BANNED

Like it would be shocking that Oden would be seen out partying in South Beach. The only team that should sign this booze hound is Utah. At this point, why should anyone give Greggers the benefit of the doubt? As a human being, I'm concerned for him, and hope this is his rock bottom before he hurts someone else.

19. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    I blame Obama

20. rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 Well-Known Member

Obama cant help it. He was drafted in the bush era. He was inherited.