OT - Raymond Felton arrested on gun charges

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

No, he's not a criminal for owning a gun, he's a criminal for possessing an unregistered gun.

BNM

2. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

I think it's asinine that he can't own an unregistered semi-auto handgun in NYC. How that hasn't been struck down in court shows how fucked up the courts are, IMO. But, it's the law, and he chose to live there.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  3. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Which brings up the entire idea of having to register semi-automatic guns, no matter when they were purchased. There are already numerous challenges to this law.

4. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Well, I'm not going to fault a guy for doing something that is legal in the majority of the states in this country.

He broke their law. Not my law.

5. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

That's kind of how I feel. Plus, I can't stand Felton, so I'll just point my finger at him and call him an idiot for not registering his gun, even though I'm anti-registration.

6. Natebishop3

I'm not going to lie, I'm extremely biased about this because I think the wife is being disingenuous.

I have a really good friend who was fucked over by his wife so she could gain leverage in a custody battle. I have seen first hand what people are willing to do when they're getting a divorce.

7. Boob-No-More

I have no idea, but what does that have to do with Raymond Felton and New York State? State's have rights to enact gun control (and other) laws. Its called State's Rights and was originally suggested in the Constitution, and further clarified in the 10th Amendment. The District of Columbia is not a state. Therefore, State's Rights do not apply. The law on the books in the state of New York required Felton's gun to be registered. It was not. He broke the law.

BTW, his wife and the prosecuting attorney decided not to push for the tougher second degree criminal possession charge (mandatory 3 1/2 prison time if convicted) and decided to go for second degree felony possession, which is much less likely to lead to prison time for Felton (much to the chagrin of Knicks fans). Supposedly this is because it would come down to his word against hers if he actually pointed the gun at her. The felony possession charge only requires proof that he had an unregistered gun in his possession. Supposedly others are aware that Felton owned the gun and had it in his possession in the state of New York. There is also proof that he purchased the gun, with that serial number, matching that description in North Carolina. So, even without his estranged wife's testimony, there is ample evidence to get a conviction on the lesser charges.

In the end, I suspect there will be some kind of plea bargain reached that will involve probation, a fine and community service in lieu of prison time.

BNM

8. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

I'm not going to lie, I'm extremely biased about this because I had to watch that fat piece of shit play PG for us for a year.

Also love how the NY Post has the picture of the gun pointing at Felton.

9. Boob-No-More

Felton and his wife don't have any kids. So, she isn't doing this to gain leverage in a custody battle. Unless Felton is a REAL idiot without a single competent financial adviser, I suspect there is also a prenup that protects his millions. Perhaps, just maybe, his wife is actually afraid for her safety. You think maybe that is a possibility? An angry spouse waving around a semi-automatic weapon loaded with 18 rounds of armour piercing bullets, including one in the chamber, would tend to make most sane people fear for their personal safety. Maybe, just maybe, survival, not leverage, was her motive.

BNM

10. Natebishop3

Where is the proof that he actually waived around the gun? Did he admit to it?

Armor piercing bullets... oh no.... woopadeedoo! I have defensive rounds in my handgun. Why does the type of ammo concern you?

11. rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 Well-Known Member

some laws should be broken, new York's unconstitutional gun laws are one. Waiving the weapon around is idiotic, however that is just an accusation.

12. rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 Well-Known Member

IF he was waiving it around like a drunken moron you have a case, all your other points are moot. Of course there is one in the chamber, what the fuck use in a gun without bullets? Am I a felon because I keep a loaded 9mm with hollow points and a 12ga with slugs and buck shot loaded in my house? Well I suppose it would in new York, which is a major reason I won't even drive through that shit hole.

13. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

Keep up with the news. The President got rid of State's Rights by Executive Order.

14. Boob-No-More

I have no idea. I'm not an eye witness. Perhaps that's why they aren't going for the second degree criminal possession charge with the mandatory 3.5 year minimum sentence. He allegedly waved the gun around on 4 different occasions. Perhaps there was an eye witness. Perhaps he confided, or bragged to someone about his macho behavior. I have no idea, and neither do you. Just like you have no proof that she' doing this to gain leverage in her divorce proceedings. I already stated they don't have kids, and if there is a prenup, what leverage is she trying to gain? What proof do you have, beyond you own biased suspicions.

If someone was waving around a semi-automatic weapon loaded with armor piercing bullets in my presence, it would concern me that even if I was wearing a bullet proof vest it wouldn't protect me.

BNM

15. Natebishop3

I already said my opinion is biased. Something about her story doesn't add up. If she had called the police while he was in the process of waiving the gun around, or if there was a history of the police getting involved, I would be much more likely to believe her story at face value. There's just something fishy about her story. The way the gun was presented to the police. The way she's saying that he waived the gun around, but never directly at her. Something about the story bothers me.

Also, just so you know, a "bullet proof vest", otherwise known as Kevlar, would not protect you from a lot of things. Kevlar is extremely unreliable, which is why the military wears SAPI plates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_Arms_Protective_Insert

16. Boob-No-More

Breaking laws is usually not the most effective way to repeal them. There are other avenues to overturn unjust laws. If the law is really unconstitutional, overturning it should be a slam dunk.

And, I doubt that's what Felton was going for. Doesn't seem like he was trying to make a political statement. Do you really want that fat piece of shit as your poster boy for repealing New York's gun control laws? He cheated on his ex-wife (there are witnesses) and then when she asked for a divorce, he (allegedly) threatened her with a loaded semi-automatic weapon. This type of behavior is not going to help further your cause. His behavior, if the allegations are true, actually gives the pro gun control faction vindication that New York's gun control laws are necessary and effective in protecting the law abiding citizens of their state.

BNM

17. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Well-Known Member

"What he did is bad because it's against the law" is not a respectable opinion, in my opinion.

Calling Felton a criminal for this is criminal.

18. Boob-No-More

Well, if she was afraid for her life, the last thing she would probably do is call they police while he is threatening her with a loaded weapon. That could provoke him to actually pull the trigger. More likely, she was probably hopeful that they could work things out without getting the cops involved, but after the 4th time, had had enough. Even though they were estranged, they were still living in the same house and the weapon was present and (allegedly) loaded. She finally called her attorney and had him call the cops when Ray Ray was at a game and not an immediate threat to harm her. Perhaps that was the first time, since the 4th incident, that she felt safe enough to call the cops. I don't really understand your suspicions. They were fighting, getting a divorce and she didn't feel safe with that gun in their house. They called his attorney first and offered to deliver the gun to him and he declined. Calling the cops was not her first choicem but Felton's won attorney left he no other option for getting a loaded weapon out of the house. That doesn't sound fishy to me at all.

Just as you have seen a friend whose wife tried to manipulate the process to gain leverage in a child custody dispute, I've also seen the other side. I've seen many victims of domestic violence and physical abuse stay in horrible situations when any rational person would have called the police and pressed charges. Fear is often the reason they stay, but it can also be low self esteem or other issues (doing it for the children, financial dependence etc.).

Good to know. Now I'll know what to wear the next time I go to a Knicks game.

BNM

19. Boob-No-More

Well then, it should be no problem repealing New York's "unconstitutional" gun laws.

BNM

20. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    Then authorship rep!