OT: The Spurs a middle of the pack team

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Nov 7, 2008.

1. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

They were also missing two starters... one of which is one of the best players in the league. And they were on the road.

You're right about Bowen though, he's not what he was. But at 37 years old I wouldn't say his talent has dropped quickly... dude is playing years past the time when most wings are retired from the league.

STOMP

2. azsun67

azsun67 Blazer fan in the Sun

Which two were they missing?

3. alex42083

alex42083 Thanks Brandon

Writing about sports
    Their role players are horrendous. I remember Farmer from USC, and that guy plays with no brains, seems very anti-Spur like.
    Mason has been a surprise but I don't think he can keep up his hot shooting all year. Bowen looks REAL bad, and looks like he's just really old.
    I still think the Spurs are going to be there in the end, but with Tony and Manu out, they have no chance at all. Duncan can't do it all by himself anymore.

4. MrJayremmie

MrJayremmie Well-Known Member

They will struggle to make the playoffs because they will be in a deep hole when Manu comes back... specially with Parker being out for 2 weeks now...

Even fully healthy they just aren't a HCA playoff team in the West, imo... I think Utah is better than them and LA, Houston and NO are def. better than them.

I think we have a shot for the 7th spot over SA and then GS, Denver, SA can fight for the 8th spot.

5. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

I was referring to Manu and Oberto though I guess I'm wrong in the sense that Manu doesn't usually start... nonetheless later this year when healthy those two will probably average at least as many minutes per game between them as Greg and Martell.

STOMP

6. Masbee

Masbee -- Rookie of the Year

The Spurs have stumbled in their efforts to restock the talent pantry.

What have they done to replace the Finley, Brent Barry, Robert Horry types they had been attracting?

I think signing Udoka to split time with Bowen and tyr to extend his career was a solid move, BUT, that move has been undone by Bowen falling off the cliff unexpectedly. So that is still a net loss.

They had Luis Scola in their mitts, by traded him for nothing, supposedly for financial reasons. They should have paid him the money, he is worth the coin he got.

They had the rights to Tiago Splitter, and lost him to Europe.

They had a solid backup point with Beno Udrih, and they lost him.

A series of small errors and bad luck have added up to bad news for the Spurs roster.

7. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    The Spurs are done. Their FO has been terrible the last several years and they have not been able to acquire any decent young talent to surround their core. Without Parker and Ginobili I believe they are one of the worst teams in the league. They will be very lucky to make the playoffs this year.