OT: Zach is Beastin'

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Rudy was acquired for cash AND by taking on James Jones, who was able to be taken by the Blazers using a trade exception we acquired from dealing with the Knicks. It has been reported that the Suns wanted to move Jones to get under the luxury tax threshold, and so cash alone would not have been enough to get the pick. I'm not sure that's the case, but...

I still don't like the Zach trade, because I think it's possible we could have got a pick to take Rudy without the trade exception, but even if I did I don't think that I would be able to say with a straight face that Zach is not an effective player.

Ed O.

2. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

3. AgentDrazenPetrovic

AgentDrazenPetrovic Anyone But the Lakers

We could have probably just bought Rudy anyways (since we did with Sergio in the previous draft). They wanted cash, we bought the pick. We also needed JJ and many thought he would be a part of the team for more than a season or whatever.

4. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    Frankly, the Zach deal was a lot worse before Penn stepped in. It was Zach + Webs for Frye + Marbury before TP found the trade exception with Freddie and DD.

I always wanted (either or both) the #23 included in the deal--with which we could have taken Rudy--or Miles for Malik Rose added. Rose's deal expires this year.

5. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

I didn't think we could get Rudy at 23, and wanted Lee.

This worked out better, I think.

6. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

gallinari isn't playing because he has serious back trouble. otherwise he's known for being pretty mobile, not a bad big man prospect for an uptempo offense.

7. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

false. we have to sign the big 3 to extensions before zach's contract would have expired in 2011. for as long as the roy, aldridge, oden era lasts in portland 2009 is our last and only shot at having any cap space to speak of.