Ouch!!

Discussion in 'Boston Celtics' started by olskoolfunktitude, Nov 29, 2006.

1. olskoolfunktitude

olskoolfunktitude JBB The Pig Pirate

well...that sucked [​IMG]

wow...

This may seem like a dubious assertion, given that the Celtics have already lost a game this year in which they once led by 25 points, but last night?s 106-103 tank job against New Jersey at the TD Banknorth Garden was the most frustrating, disappointing and downright painful loss so far this season.

Maybe it?s because a lot has changed for the Celtics since that grotesque game on Nov. 11 in Cleveland... Or maybe nothing has changed and it just seemed like it had when the Celtics won four of their last six games.

Either way, against Cleveland the Celtics really had the look of lambs being led to the slaughter and it just looked like there was no way they were going come back and win that game? even though they were actually in the lead until late in the final period. Last night it felt different. Maybe it was because the fans were as loud as they?ve been in any home game this season, or because the Nets just looked tired from the start of the game, but the Celtics looked like they actually deserved to be in first place, which they were to begin the night, and would have remained if they could have avoided a total collapse.

i guess this doesnt really qualify as a Bill Simmons "stomache punch" game...but goddamn...i really thought we had that one...I feel like smashing something made of glass right now... [​IMG]

ok, Ill stop being a drama queen now. i just have a nasty cold right now so everything is irritating me a percentage more than it porbably should.

2. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

The Celtics need to play Leon Powe more. The Celtics need to start throttling teams in the post with all the size they have on their bench. Especially against a team like New Jersey, they have no defensive presence in the paint.

3. Squishface

Squishface JBB Ministering Fools

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">The Celtics need to play Leon Powe more. The Celtics need to start throttling teams in the post with all the size they have on their bench. Especially against a team like New Jersey, they have no defensive presence in the paint.</div>

Yes, they have strength, but they don't have the experience or coaching ability to throttle teams in the paint. Clifford Ray has shown his players how to score and front a guy in practice, but there's no one showing them how to adjust to game situations, as Tony is the defensive guy, and Doc is a sh*thead. Anybody else with NBA experience jump out at you? This team seems to take a wait and see approach to its post play, and so far what we've seen has been semi-positive when they actually use it, but then we won't hear from the post for three straight games.

Al can score on anyone, but he gets maybe ten viable touches a night, Powe can score around the hoop too, and he doesn't even get minutes, and Gomes is a monster on most nights, pand he gets to run half-hearted screens and never gets the roll, because Pierce is busy hoisting a triple covered bomb in hopes of getting a foul. Like on his last three point attempt last night, what the hell was that all about? You didn't have enough open options rolling to the basket? Is that what was wrong there?

As for Perk, and the other defensive guys, they're hurt anyway, so I wouldn't trust them with anything. At least Ray is teaching Perk to find a shot and stick with it.

4. Shapecity

You're right, they don't have experience, which is why a guy like Powe needs more playing time on the floor. You're also right about Doc Rivers being a sh*thead, and I can't fathom why he won't play Powe. Not only has Powe produced with every opportunity given, he brings all the intangibles the Celtics are missing on the court. He'll do the dirtywork and doesn't need his number called to get you double digits. I'd put him on the floor with Gomes, and let these two workhorses mix it up on the inside and torch teams on the offensive glass.

Getting outrebounded by the Nets should never happen.

5. olskoolfunktitude

olskoolfunktitude JBB The Pig Pirate

good point about Powe. he really impressed when he got a chance to play. he's already much much much much much better than scags but he rots on the bench while scags gets to play...inexcusable

6. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

Why the hell did Wally drive with 4 seconds left when Boston needed a 3?

7. ChicagoSportsFan

ChicagoSportsFan JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

Here is the solution. ben gordon and nochioni for PP. [​IMG]

8. Squishface

<div class="quote_poster">Bobcats Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Why the hell did Wally drive with 4 seconds left when Boston needed a 3?</div>

I listened to him speak after the game, and he said he had a brain fart. He was still listening to Doc's advice after the last timeout they took, when Doc said they could just get a two and foul, that a three wasn't necessary. When he realized he was wrong, it was too late to head back to the three point and he did the next smartest thing and threw the ball out of bounds. It all makes perfect sense.

<div class="quote_poster">michiganave17 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Here is the solution. ben gordon and nochioni for PP. [​IMG]</div>

I know you're kidding, so I won't be too tremendously bent out of shape, but wow. That's collosally foolish.

9. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

<div class="quote_poster">michiganave17 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Here is the solution. ben gordon and nochioni for PP. [​IMG]</div>
    I would actually consider that in a couple months if we somehow win the lottery and know for a fact that Oden is ours.

10. ChicagoSportsFan

<div class="quote_poster">44Thrilla Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I would actually consider that in a couple months if we somehow win the lottery and know for a fact that Oden is ours.</div>

Yeah I And we could also throw in that NY draft pick if they continue to suck.

11. Squishface

<div class="quote_poster">michiganave17 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah I And we could also throw in that NY draft pick if they continue to suck.</div>

Jeez, leave something to the imagination. Giving up picks upon picks won't get you anywhere fast, let's be a little more shrewd, no?

12. ChicagoSportsFan

that pick would be valuable in the next draft.

13. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">michiganave17 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">that pick would be valuable in the next draft.</div>

Assuming all the underclassmen actually declare.