PAC-12 Championship Game - Ducks vs. Utes

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by ABM, Dec 6, 2019.

1. twobullz

twobullz Well-Known Member

I heard the senior qb for S Carolina is entering the transfer pool and rumors are he would fit Oregon's offense. Going to be interesting to see if they go with the young guys or a transfer.

2. AldoTrapani

AldoTrapani Well-Known Member

Ppl are saying Shough is really good supposedly

3. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

I'll admit, I know nothing about any of the possible QBs we have on scholarship. Hope someone takes up the reigns.

4. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

My question is who are the up and coming wide outs, that don't drop balls.

Titan, SlyPokerDog and theprunetang like this.
  5. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I am still ok with Herbert NOT running the ball all season. It doesn't do you any good if your QB is out hurt.
    In the pac 12 championship....that (and the Rose Bowl) is when you do it.

6. Pinwheel1

They will be better next year at WR.
    Johnson, Redd, Addison, Pittman, Devon Williams.....just for starters.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Hoopguru likes this.
  7. Titan

Titan Well-Known Member

Well hopefully since it’s Herberts last game they will let him open up in the Rose bowl.

8. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    You guys should check out Shough’s HS games, that man has a great arm, and can run decently. Who knows how that translates to college, but he appears to be pretty gifted.

HailBlazers and Hoopguru like this.
  9. Wade Garrett

Wade Garrett Exactly right.

You really dont believe this approach would have beaten ASU or Auburn?
    I do.
    They actually looked like their potential for the first time all year.
    Too little too late.
    I am happy for them but at the same time pissed....whrte has this been???

10. Pinwheel1

Maybe, Maybe not. I just agree with Mario's philosophy of not running your "passing" QB all season. The more hits they take the bigger chance they get hurt.
    There is usually a big drop off in college (and the NFL) between your starter and the replacement.

They lost the Auburn game because they lost too many WR's right before the game and the passing game became limited. That said if they had made one tackle on 4th and long on the last drive and they still win.

As for the the ASU game ......they got outplayed. It happens every year with every team. Thus the reason no Pac 12 teams has yet to go undefeated in conference play. Plus Redd didn't play and their receiver depth is not good enough to make up for it after losing Pittman and Breeland.

Bottom line is yes a good running QB does make a difference, but I prefer having a healthy one all season.

HailBlazers likes this.
  11. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

Husky fans read & weep:

12. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Hey they made the list once. heh

kjironman1 likes this.
  13. wizenheimer

if you want an example of textbook OLine domination, watch this and focus on a different lineman each time as well as the TE on the left side:

14. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

15. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    SlyPokerDog and Hoopguru like this.
  16. wizenheimer

Taggart sold snake oil...because he's a snake. The way he left (and the impact his departure had on recruiting) added to some of the failures he had as coach (remember the off-season workouts by the poorly certified S&C coach that hospitalized 3 players? remember the OC Taggart hired that got a DUI and was fired after two weeks?)

he did bring in some great assistant coaches though, but still, him getting axed in less than 2 seasons at FSU seems like rough justice to Duck fans. And it's pretty certain Pat Kilkenny was laughing considering how Taggart misused Kilkenny's private jet (took it for a recruiting trip to see more than a dozen recruits in the south, but flew to an interview with the FSU AD instead, then ordered the jet back to Eugene so he could quit...he only saw one Duck recruiting target and tried to recruit him to FSU....while on Oregon's payroll) yeah, fuck that guy

That just about every player on the team was lobbying hard for MC to become head coach was quite a testament to the impact he was having with the players. The Ducks needed to hire a new coach ASAP, and having one head coach leaving a year after the earlier on was fired left Oregon in a really bad spot. A lot of Duck fans, and boosters, wanted PJ Fleck, and Fleck was lobbying for the job. But the AD went for the adult in the room in MC

I'll admit, when MC started to describe his vision for the identity he wanted Oregon to have I was skeptical. The Ducks had led the Pac-12 in rushing for about 12 straight years by recruiting rangy 6'5-6'8 offensive linemen with great mobility and building them into the type of OLine they wanted; guys who could get to the 2nd level and block LB's and DB's for runs around the edges as well as between the tackles. I questioned if MC's vision of a huge, physical OLine with downhill running, SEC style, would really work in the Pac-12

I'm still a bit skeptical, but wow, the way Oregon beat Utah really showed what MC's vision could be. That was a dominant Duck performance in the trenches, on both sides of the ball.

It's too bad they blew the ASU game; that was just a perfect storm of bad circumstance for the Ducks. At the same time, watching Ohio State and LSU...the Ducks just aren't at that level. Even winning the Rose Bowl will be a tall order

Oregon is losing a lot to graduation on offense. Herbert; the 4 senior starters on the OLine, and they lose Brady Aiello and George Moore from the line too. Juwan Johnson is gone. They lose their punter. On defense they lose Troy Dye, Drayton Carlberg, Gary Baker, La'mar Winston and Bryson Young. But they have quite a bit of established depth on defense so those losses seem a lot more replaceable than the OLine. Hopefully, none of Jordon Scott, Thomas Graham, or Deommodore Lenoir declare for the draft, but that might be a faint hope.

The Ducks need to continue to recruit, and they need to land some elite talent at RB, WR, and TE. They haven't done that at the level that Mike Bellotti, Chip Kelly, and Helfrich did. They have to do better. Next season, MC won't have the security blanket of that experienced QB and OLine. That's going to be a major test of his coaching. And you just about have to anticipate the Ducks will lose an assistant coach or two. Arroyo might be the next HC at Nevada

17. Pinwheel1

I would agree Oregon is not at the level of the ones you mentioned. The biggest factor to me is they have good WR's coming back, but no elite WRs like the teams you mentioned. (Speed wise)

The Oline will take a few weeks to gel but they are loaded with young talent:
    Penei Sewell, Steven Jones, Jonah Tauanu'u, Malaesala Aumavae-Laulu, Alex Forsyth and TJ Bass

The RB's all come back unless some transfer out. Plus the red shirted Sean Dollars (The ninth highest-ranked running back prospect to ever sign with Oregon)
    has looked great in practice. The D is loaded with young talent. They might get blown out early against Ohio State, but the team coming back should make another run at the Pac 12 north.

18. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    I rooted for the Ducks and even predicted that they'd beat the Utes and I'm a dyed in the wool Beavers fan. You shouldn't lump all Beavers fans together just as I don't lump all Ducks fans together.

19. wizenheimer

true...I should have said 'a lot of'

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  20. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Lumpy wooly beavers!

KINKY!