OT Pac12 bowl season thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by PtldPlatypus, Dec 4, 2022.

1. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

What access? I have Apple already because I enjoy their programs. Fans of the Pac-12 will all add it if they don't already. But more than likely it will not be the only platform for Pac-12 games, just one of them.

What good is being on ESPN if all the games are late at night? Not that many are watching that either. And it sucks for the fans who actually go to the games at night in Oct and Nov.

Apple is easy to sell to the recruit's parents because it is easy and cheap to get. Much easier than the Pac-12 network has been for the last decade since you don't need cable. Ideally, you have some games on Apple, some on
    CBS, (Who lost the SEC) and the rest on the Pac 12 network.

Hoopguru likes this.
  2. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

It's my understanding that the Pac 12 after dark has had much better ratings vs the Pac 12 playing games at the same time as games by SEC and Big Whatever. And that includes the east coast. NFL, NBA, NHL all play evening games on the west coast.

Of all the shit the previous commissioner of the Pac 12 fucked up, Pac 12 after dark was the only thing he got right.

Also, Apple is not going to pay nearly as much as FOX or ESPN. That is going to directly hurt the amount of money each school gets.

3. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

If they go to apple I know for a fact that I won't be subscribing.

RickyJoe likes this.
  4. SlyPokerDog

Ted Lasso is really good.

THE HCP likes this.
  5. Shaboid

I watched through the first season over Christmas at my parents and I agree. Not enough for me to become a subscriber though.

6. SlyPokerDog

What if season 4 of Ted Lasso is him coaching the Beavers?

7. Shaboid

I would boycott even harder. Jonathan Smith is the only one I want coaching the Beavs!

Phatguysrule likes this.
  8. SlyPokerDog

Then you better subscribe to Apple TV because if the Pac-12 disbands, Smith is gone.

THE HCP likes this.
  9. Pinwheel1

Your loss. A lot of good shows on Apple.

THE HCP likes this.
  10. Pinwheel1

The Ducks had a few games that were highly viewed. None of them were Pac-12 After Dark. The ratings at night might have been good compared to anything else on at that time but does that mean they were highly viewed?

Yes Fox and ESPN pay more, but that is kind of moot because they are not an option. If Apple will pay 25 million per team as rumored, and you get another network to pick up some time slots, then you are at least better that the Big 12. (Just not close to the SEC and Big 10)

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  11. SlyPokerDog

SEC teams get $70 mill per school.

The PAC12 is doing a slow death.

12. Pinwheel1

I don't buy that as long as the conference makes "enough".

13. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I said Id never purchase Netflix as I already had Comcast. Well we did.. Im going to pull the plug on Comcast once I get a new Smart TV and just do streaming, probably this summer.

14. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    That's what I did and I haven't regretted it one bit. And if the Pac-12 goes to Apple you're damn right I'm subscribing! I love college football, and especially the Pac too much!

15. bigbailes

bigbailes Well-Known Member

You think Washington and Oregon don't want to be members of the B10? You don't think there is jealousy all the way through those athletic departments that the LA schools jumped? The only reason W and O aren't in the B10 is because the B10 didn't want them, at least didn't want them right now. It's a slow painful death the P12 is experiencing and it's only going to get worse. Fox has staked their claim with the B10, ESPN with the SEC, but it goes back much further with them saving the B12 about a decade ago. By all accounts, the B12 was about to disband with the two Oklahoma schools and possibly two others going west, at the last minute though ESPN stepped in, worked out a deal with Texas for the Longhorn Network and convinced the other schools to stay together. If ESPN just lets things dissolve than you have a very logical set up with the P12 in the West/SW, the B10 in the Midwest, the ACC in the East and the SEC in the SE. Instead Larry Scott took a swing and missed, he over leveraged the league in expansion and then sunk them with the P12 Network. If only one of those things happens, then maybe it's a totally different story but instead we are where we are.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  16. Pinwheel1

Of course, any current Pac-12 team would jump at Big10 or SEC money. But all I was saying was that a slow death is not imminent if someone offers the Pac-12 "enough" money. It won't be Big10 or SEC money, but it can match the others. As you say the Big 12 was given a lifeline and if Apple were to jump in and give the Pac 12 a lifeline then I would welcome that. Rumors last year suggested that they wanted to buy ESPN. That obviously did not occur, but it does show that they have the money and the desire to build a sport's viewership on their platform.

As I mentioned in another post, the Pac would still need a secondary platform to help out. CBS does not look to be interested but ESPN is still in play for their late-night slot. If Apple comes close to the rumored 25 million per team, that means the Pac only needs another 7 to pass the Big 12's deal. Is that ideal? No, but it is more than what they get now. Sounds like we will find out in mid-March what those numbers are.

17. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Tune in Saturday to our first Timbers broadcast on AppleTV.
    First few are free I believe.

tlongII likes this.
  18. bigbailes

Not sure I could sit through a Timbers game if it was the only sporting event on TV for the entire day ... always something better to do than watch soccer

RickyJoe and Shaboid like this.
  19. bigbailes

I guess the definition of slow death is what is the hang up here ... I really see Washington and Oregon jumping in the next decade or less to the B10 ... at that point it's done. The Pac12/10/8 might still exist but in name only if you lose the four biggest brands in the conference, making it no different from the MW. The hand writing is on the wall that expansion is only going to continue barring a massive change in direction by the NCAA and that seems really unlikely since I don't think that group can tell their head from their ass.

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  20. Shaboid

I agree with you if UO and UW leave, but who knows, the PAC is looking at adding some teams too. Depending on who they add it could change things. That's my hope at least.

Pinwheel1 likes this.