OT Pac12 bowl season thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by PtldPlatypus, Dec 4, 2022.

1. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Is adding the likes of San Diego State and SMU or whoever really going to convince the likes of UofO and UW to stick around? It gives it even more of a C level feel to it.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  2. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

I get that. Another one I I heard was Kansas State and Wichita State. A bit better?

3. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

So that they can corner that illustrious Kansas television market? Good lord no, that makes it worse. Wichita State doesn't even have a football team!

Phatguysrule likes this.
  4. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

Haha fair enough. I'm grasping at anything I can to keep OSU on national TV!

Phatguysrule, bigbailes and RR7 like this.
  5. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I don't think that the San Diego or Dallas markets hurt the cause. But I agree if the AZ schools left for the big 12 or if anyone else left for the B10....then yeah it would hurt. But my original point was not to think of Apple as a negative if the money they offer is decent. The Pac needs a lifeline and even though it is a streaming service with fewer eyeballs, it is easy to view and provides income. The Pac 10 teams will need to step up and schedule quality nonconference games as well.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  6. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Offering up $$ is nice, but eyeballs on games are what is going to help grab recruits. A casual football fan can flip through their cable box, and see a game on, and toss it on. Yes, Pac 12 fans will subscribe to Apple, but most people aren't going to just for the Pac12. A miniscule streaming base isn't good for the league.

bigbailes likes this.
  7. bigbailes

bigbailes Well-Known Member

This is my concern, yes P12 fans will pony up to get Apple but the casual fan will be gone and the national perception of the conference will take another hit. Just look at the basketball season, the B10 is looking at getting in 9 teams to the tourney but only have 3 inside the top 25. Their conference standings are a bunch of mediocre teams, but the perception is that it's a strong league and is seen all the time on national TV. Perception becomes reality and that's what we are seeing with the P12.

RR7 likes this.
  8. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Dollars or Visibility? its going to come down to one of the other, imo. Less money for TV visabilty or more for streaming.
    If there was a package for TV at 25% less than streaming would you consider it?

9. bigbailes

Great question ... I still think exposure to other markets is worth 25% but that's the tipping point for me

Hoopguru likes this.
  10. bigbailes

McMurphy is a pretty big shill for the B12 but gotta say this tweet is concerning. I've tried to be pretty optimistic about this whole thing if the conference tourney comes and goes with no announcement, than raise the red flags!

11. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

bigbailes likes this.
  12. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Instead of negotiating with Apple, the Pac 12 tried to get Netflix and Amazon to bid.

13. Hoopguru

Watch out for TNT

14. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

15. Hoopguru

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  16. Hoopguru

17. bigbailes

18. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

The Conference of Champions is clearly circling the drain & that truly sucks. Rather then join the Big 10 or some other conference, I'm hoping that another major reshuffling of the cards is in the works.

STOMP

tlongII likes this.
  19. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

this youtube video was posted yesterday. If you go to the 36 minute mark, John Skipper, who was at the negotiating table whan the ACC signed their media deals a few years ago, talks about the value of the ACC merging with 8 teams from the Pac-12

geeeeezuz...I forgot the video

the key provision in the deals is an enforceable carriage contract with distributors (Comcast, DirectTV, etc) that has a tow tier fee assessed fro every subscriber according to the state a conference school was in. IIRC he said the in-conference fee was $2 and the out-of-conference fee was $.60. Meaning that if the Acc formed a Western division of 8 teams they could expand that subscriber fee to include California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado. THIS IS A MONTHLY FEE; $24 a year for every subscriber. His estimate was that there were at least 15M subscribers in those 6 states. That's 360M/year in subscriber fees alone and he's convinced it would compel the networks like ESPN to renegotiate their ACC contracts

it might also bring Amazon into the picture. The reporting about Amazon is that they are really interested in a 3-consecutive night package of content, especially Oregon/Washington. They could cross-promote the content on each night. The NFL at 8-9PM Eastern on Thursday night; the merged ACC/Pac-12 Friday night game at 7PM Eastern. And the after dark game Saturday night at 8-10PM eastern

I don't know how interested the ACC would be but if it's accurate that each of the Pac-12 schools was bring in 45M/year in carriage fees that's a fairly compelling argument

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  20. Hoopguru