Pacers ganna give Paul George give 5 years 90 million....

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, Sep 22, 2013.

1. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    There is a lot of truth to this post. I've seen so many players play through injuries and still put up good numbers.

There comes a time when you must play to the potential of your contract. I think batum isn't so far.

2. Charcoal Filtered

Charcoal Filtered Writing Team

Why don't we try a simple exercise?

Using the contracts that were signed this past offseason, could the Pacers have won more games in the five years they gave George his contract with 90 million dollars.

3. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    I'm not getting why people are proclaiming Paul George as an Elite player who is not only a franchise player but one step away from a superstar because he isn't. He showed last year he has a shot at being one or both of those but he isnt either one yet.
    The NBA and its fans have a problem with proclaiming someone as something well before they actually are(just look at lillard as an example of this). George has one year of allstar numbers and the contract he got is based on potential but he isn't a franchise player or superstar yet, and he may well never become one either, so lets put a damper on the "he is one step below Durant/LBJ" talk because he isn't he just has the potential to be someday.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

4. magnifier661

hear hear. I am a fan of PG, but mentioning him in the same breath as a player like Rose or CP3 is just ridiculous. He's not even close to that right now.

5. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Yes, pay George the max for his 16.8 PER is pure genius. Sheesh, and people here bitch about LMA's contract.

6. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

George flat-out choked in Game 7 against Miami, and only had a 16.6 PER in his "breakout" 19 game playoff run.

Way, WAY overpaid. Indy is going to regret that deal.

7. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Well that's just fucking stupid. I assume you're trolling again, as you admit that you do. Didn't MIXUM get banned for admitting that he trolled?

8. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Nobody here considers LMA the franchise player on a title team. That's Lillard, hopefully.

9. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Yeah, his 16.8 PER and disappearing act when LeBron put the clamps on him was awesome.

10. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Haven't read the thread, so sorry if it's been said, but...After we forced the Pacers to give Hibbert the max, I wonder whether that made George demand the same, since he seems better. Obviously the team resisted, since it took till late September to resolve. I hope Pritchard learned from the Roy thing and this time didn't side with George against the owner.

11. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Now if I was running the Pacers I would've played a bit more hardball with Paul George, because I think he gladly signs a deal for ~$10million less regardless of his actual worth. It's his first big NBA contract so he is not going to take a chance of getting injured before he gets paid.

That being said, there are only 4 wing players in the league I'd rather sign to the same contract. Lebron, Durant, Harden and maybe Kawhi Leonard. So I don't think its a mistake the Pacers are making by any means. It sounds like these younger players are overpaid until you look at the alternatives. If a player is a top 5 talent at his position he is absolutely for sure going to be paid a max contract by some NBA team.

To those posters who say this is a mistake, please list what SG and SF you would rather have signed for the next six seasons at $90 million?

12. Charcoal Filtered

If Indy would have tried to play hardball, George could have took out an insurance policy and walked after next season for nothing. During the next two seasons, he puts the fanbase thru the same torture other small market teams trying to keep a star player have endured.

13. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Still think that is LeBron,CP3,Mello type money! He's nowhere near their level of play.

14. Charcoal Filtered

The Pacers are not going to have the opportunity to choose between those guys and George with the 90M. Lebron is also not paid anywhere near what he is worth.

With injury and age, it is debatable whether George is a better bet over Melo and CP3 for giving a huge contract.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  15. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Ya KP just fucked the pacers and there fans.

16. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

See the thing is there are 30 teams in the league and teams normally have one or two near max players, so with 5 positions that means there are going to be about 9 players paid in that range at each position league wide. 18 wing positions! I can only come up with 1 SG (Harden) and 3 SF (LeBron, Durant, Kawhi) whom I’d rather have signed to that contract than Paul George. Some people may choose Melo, ok fine. So that is five guys.

Whom are the other 13 wings people would rather have than Paul George?

I don’t think many posters understand how few great players there are and how many more teams with cap room there are bidding for these potential all-stars. We now have four year max contracts so even more teams will have loads of cap room every offseason, there will always be a shortage of deserving stud players. Guys like Iguadola, Josh Smith, Al Jefferson, Pekovic got huge deals in the offseason. None of them are stud franchise players that can carry a team in the playoffs. Not a single one of them was an all-star like Paul George. Not a single one of them is as young as Paul George. All of them go over $10 million per season.

When you look at the real options that will be out there to spend cap room it can be eye opening. The Paul George contract isn’t just good for the Pacers; it is an exceptional value.

17. magnifier661

I guess the real question is "Can PG and Hibbert win a title?" They are the two max players on the team.

18. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Paul George is more than earning that extension!

19. magnifier661

I will openly admit that I was dead wrong about George.

20. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    I am happy to admit I was wrong, but wisely knew that he could earn it.