Payton Pondering NBA Future

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by NJNetz, Sep 8, 2007.

1. NJNetz

NJNetz BBW Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Oakland native <u>Gary Payton</u>, unsigned for 2007-08 after playing last season with the Miami Heat , will make a decision about his future within the next week, his agent said Friday. And one option he might consider would be to try to play an 18th and final NBA season with the hometown Golden State Warriors . Aaron Goodwin said Payton is training to stay in shape, but he has not settled on which direction to take his career. "He's deciding if he's going to take another crack at playing one more season, or maybe go to Seattle and work in some sort of management position, or go into TV color commentary," Goodwin said.</div></p>

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_6837171</p>

2. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

#1_War_Poet_ForLife The Baker of Cakes

Come to the Nets, and help Marcus the Mitten.

3. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

It's Payton's final season and Golden State is not close to contending for a chip right now. You would think he'd want to go to Boston, Dallas, Phoenix, or San Antonio, Golden State doesn't even know if they're going to have their prized coach Don Nelson back. I don't understand why he'd consider the Warriors.

4. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

Cause he's from there...

5. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mynetsforlife)</div><div class='quotemain'>Cause he's from there...</div>

</p>

Still, it's his final season. Despite it being his home town he should want to try to go out with a ring. </p>

6. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

Alright, you have one NBA title, and you've been on different teams (but not the Wiz), like Gary. You've won a championship.</p>

Would you rather play in DC, and not get a title, or get another title?</p>

</p>

7. NJNetz

NJNetz BBW Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Come to the Nets, and help Marcus the Mitten.</div></p>

That would stun Marcus' growth. Payton wouldn't just come, and tutor Williams all season. He would likely want to backup Kidd, which would leave Marcus Williams with absolutely no minutes.</p>

Honestly, it would be even stupid to consider signing Gary Payton, we don't need him, or any other point guard. </p>

</p>

8. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

Again, I was kidding.</p>

Infact, we discussed this topic some days ago. </p>

9. pegs

pegs My future wife.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mynetsforlife)</div><div class='quotemain'>

Again, I was kidding.</p>

Infact, we discussed this topic some days ago. </p></div>

</p>

wow, this transition for the JBB members is gonna be tougher than i expected...</p>

we gotta get em in on all our inside jokes haha.</p>

</p>

although "Marcus the Mitten" is a pretty sick nickname. next time i go to a nets game, i am definitely shouting that when marcus gets on the court.</p>

10. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mynetsforlife)</div><div class='quotemain'>

Alright, you have one NBA title, and you've been on different teams (but not the Wiz), like Gary. You've won a championship.</p>

Would you rather play in DC, and not get a title, or get another title?</p>

</p>

</div></p>

</p>

I would want to go out with a bang and take a final shot at a second ring, I see where you're coming from though.</p>

</p>

11. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

He should just retire. He has a ring, and to just end your season with your hometown team can go both ways. He could play big minutes and help the warriors, or he could get injured or play limited minutes. I think he should go to Boston or the Suns or just retire.

12. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

The Warriors have Monta Ellis, but as we all know, he's not a playmaking point guard yet.</p>

Then we also got Sarunas J who is, in my mind, a serviceable backup point guard who just isn't being used right or doesn't fit the system. But I've been a big fan of The Glove and it might be nice to have a hall of famer, hometown hero to come off the bench. I think he might do well even though he's really old. The question is can he stay healthy and run all season? I figure the only thing he's really got left in the tank still is some shooting capability, his court vision, and his post up skills. He's lost a lot of quickness and ability to do the things he used to do like play terrific defense. He might be a good leader in the 2nd unit, if we don't mind sliding Monta Ellis over the shooting guard spot on offense and have Payton play the shooting guard spot on defense while Monta Ellis goes D at point.</p>

13. pegs

pegs My future wife.

he might be useful in helping monta ellis develop his game and with his defense. azuibuke, too, if he's still with the warriors (please excuse spelling errors).</p>

and excuse me if i sound dumb, but isn't ellis a natural shooting guard anyways?</p>

14. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peg182)</div><div class='quotemain'>

he might be useful in helping monta ellis develop his game and with his defense. azuibuke, too, if he's still with the warriors (please excuse spelling errors).</p>

and excuse me if i sound dumb, but isn't ellis a natural shooting guard anyways?</p></div>

Ellis' defense is highly underrated through out the league. He draws charges very well by staying in front of his man, he has amazing lateral quickness and he knows how to steal the ball. Infact, he led the league in a combined charges and steals this year. </p>

And to answer your question, Monta is a point guard, but in high school he was utilized as a shoot first point guard ala Allen Iverson style. His ball handling and passing have improved from game to game, but it'd be nice to have some insurance.</p>

15. pegs

pegs My future wife.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Air Monta)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peg182)</div><div class='quotemain'>

and excuse me if i sound dumb, but isn't ellis a natural shooting guard anyways? </p></div>

Ellis' defense is highly underrated through out the league. He draws charges very well by staying in front of his man, he has amazing lateral quickness and he knows how to steal the ball. Infact, he led the league in a combined charges and steals this year. </p>

And to answer your question, Monta is a point guard, but in high school he was utilized as a shoot first point guard ala Allen Iverson style. His ball handling and passing have improved from game to game, but it'd be nice to have some insurance.</p></div>

</p>

i see, thanks for the info...wow, monta's a pretty damn good player. warriors should hold on to him.</p>

i gotta know...what the hell happened in the playoffs? youngin jitters?
    </p>

16. Custodianrules2

It's kind of like he better get us the ball back by forcing turnovers and picking off passes, because he sure turns the ball over quite a bit. I had him on my fantasy team and he was really good at fg percentage, steals, points, but he killed me when it came to turnovers and 3 point %. That's two things I expect him to improve upon this year before we start the Gilbert Arenas or Allen Iverson comparrisons. He's got to improve his 3 point % to a respectable amount and he's got to take care of the ball better and know when to make the smart pass. Also, he's got to improve his passing accuracy. I've felt since he began in this league that he doesn't quite know how to put the ball on the money like the way Jason Kidd, Baron Davis, or Steve Nash do for their teammteas (especially big post players). Those guys will win a skills competition any day of the week whereas guys like Marbury, Gilbert Arenas, Steve Francis can't put the ball where their teammates want it consistently enough. </p>

For instance if we look at Marbury and NY's move to having more of the offense go to the big players down low, he kind of sucks in that role. Then if we had that with Arenas or Francis, they'd rather overshoot and overdribble it. I'm hoping Ellis can be a capable point guard that can pass first and make others way better or he's all hype to me. It'd be like a quarterback that just decides to call plays for himself or can't make completions because his passing accuracy or playcalling isn't good. Ellis is advanced for his age as a player, but he's still got a ways a way to go to play the most skilled position in the nba. The point guard has to do it all and be able to score when nobody else is and be able to stop the other guy's best ballhandler, to lead the team and run what the coach wants out of a timeout, and to take care of the ball. He's got a lot of poise, but I don't see any vocal leadership or charisma that guys like Deron Williams, Chris Paul, Gary Payton, Jason Kidd, Baron Davis, or Steve Nash have. Ellis knows he's still learning, so I hope he does a lot this year.
    </p>

17. pegs

pegs My future wife.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (custodianrules2)</div><div class='quotemain'>

It's kind of like he better get us the ball back by forcing turnovers and picking off passes, because he sure turns the ball over quite a bit. I had him on my fantasy team and he was really good at fg percentage, steals, points, but he killed me when it came to turnovers and 3 point %. That's two things I expect him to improve upon this year before we start the Gilbert Arenas or Allen Iverson comparrisons. He's got to improve his 3 point % to a respectable amount and he's got to take care of the ball better and know when to make the smart pass. Also, he's got to improve his passing accuracy. I've felt since he began in this league that he doesn't quite know how to put the ball on the money like the way Jason Kidd, Baron Davis, or Steve Nash do for their teammteas (especially big post players). Those guys will win a skills competition any day of the week whereas guys like Marbury, Gilbert Arenas, Steve Francis can't put the ball where their teammates want it consistently enough. </p>

For instance if we look at Marbury and NY's move to having more of the offense go to the big players down low, he kind of sucks in that role. Then if we had that with Arenas or Francis, they'd rather overshoot and overdribble it. I'm hoping Ellis can be a capable point guard that can pass first and make others way better or he's all hype to me. It'd be like a quarterback that just decides to call plays for himself or can't make completions because his passing accuracy or playcalling isn't good. Ellis is advanced for his age as a player, but he's still got a ways a way to go to play the most skilled position in the nba. The point guard has to do it all and be able to score when nobody else is and be able to stop the other guy's best ballhandler, to lead the team and run what the coach wants out of a timeout, and to take care of the ball. He's got a lot of poise, but I don't see any vocal leadership or charisma that guys like Deron Williams, Chris Paul, Gary Payton, Jason Kidd, Baron Davis, or Steve Nash have. Ellis knows he's still learning, so I hope he does a lot this year.
    </p></div>

</p>

That was a great analysis of Eliis. i think he'll make great strides this year. He's already a great player and it seems as if he's only gonna get better, especially under a player like baron davis, and payton as well if he signs with the warriors. </p>

He's got a great future, and i'm jealous the nets didn't get him...and i'm pretty sure they tried, if i am correct (right, NetIncome..?). </p>

i must say. with this merger, i'm really excited to hear from new people, and learn things about different basketball players, such as Ellis here and Baston in another thread. I think this move will be great for everyone. </p>

18. Custodianrules2

Thanks!</p>

Hey, we get our 2nd round steal, you get yours, right?</p>

Marcus Williams looks pretty good. He's got the pure point guard game down pat as a first year nba player (and he'll get his shots when Jkidd needs a rest or when he's retired assuming the Nets hold onto Williams as the heir apparent). I remember he was very good statistics wise in summer league. He's got a lot of intangibles too like the leadership ability and his court sense. But like a lot of point guards today, they just have trouble shooting and a point guard needs that weapon to open up the rest of the game, especially if they aren't that quick or strong. Plus, Marcus Williams isn't the most gifted at staying in front of his man. But IMO that shouldn't stop his defensive effort and smartness when d-ing up. Both he and Deron Williams have been criticized as not being that quick, but the difference is Deron Williams really hassles his guy, makes good anticipations, uses his leg strength to play nba defense because he can't be a top flight defender anymore like he was in college. Plus, while Deron Williams is not that quick, he's got some pretty good hops and finishing power and he's a nice shooter. I'm not sure Marcus Williams has all that, but he doesn't need to be as long as he can make others around him better when it comes to passing, finishing plays nobody else can make or complete plays that have been set up for him.</p>

The Knicks should have gotten Marcus Williams in the 06 draft, but the NY ownership and general management appears to be on drugs as much as Stephon Marbury appeared this summer when he came upon a "youthier" Knicks lineup and the addition of the "left handed southpaw" post player in Zach Randolph. My god. Watching the Knicks this year might be funny if we had expectations that the Knicks starting roster would actually share the ball with each other, let alone play any form of defense. But we'll see. All I know is Isiah is helping prove the stereotype that former all-star/hall of famer nba basketball players do not make good general managers probably because they were so good they forgot team chemistry and all the other things that make successful team play. And that they also tend to gamble on overrated players that are much like themselves when they were younger (maybe?) Thank goodness GM Chris Mullin redeemed himself after that Indy trade. I just took another famous nba player turned general manager to make it happen. Maybe the Bobcats trade will end up working out hugely in our favor and not so much for Charlotte, then it would make it two hall of famer GMs Mullin worked over to improve our team. [​IMG] But... then I forget we probably can't mess with the Pistons GM.
    </p>

19. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

It's hard to say. I'd never seen him do that bad in a game. I wouldn't worry too much about it, he's just gonig to be proving people wrong again.

20. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

Custodian, I don't know if you remember, but when Williams was being talked as a lotto pick WtWalker predicted that he would fall to the Nets' second pick for that year? I thought that was pretty amusing.