Bogus! Peace in the Middle East

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Shaboid, Jan 28, 2020.

1. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    We should invade Canada

GoBlazersGo and THE HCP like this.
  2. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

I like it! We'll make them great again then we'll make peace.

GoBlazersGo and julius like this.
  3. ABM

ABM Happily Married In Music City, USA!

Commercial Real Estate
    Trudeau is a weiner. Shouldn't be too difficult. I was hoping we'd already purchased Greenland by now. Easy surround.

4. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    I would gladly take BC and portions of Alberta over Florida, Texas and Arizona

5. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

It would only take the North Dakota National Guard!

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  6. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Do schools no longer have vending machines?

barfo

riverman likes this.
  7. ABM

Commercial Real Estate
    Kind of amazing how far Israel has come from those Hitler years.

8. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

Yes, but perhaps you should read the history behind the formation of the country after WWII. No one can fault the Jews for wanting their own country, especially after the Holocaust. Unfortunately for them, the Palestinians were occupying the land the Jews wanted (and felt belonged to them historically). A very strong case can be made for both sides. But the bottom line is that Israel came about in large part because of Jewish terrorists (as I have always admitted, one man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter). These individuals made it clear they were not going away and they became a thorn in the side of the British (who were administering the region). England finally capitulated, mainly because WWII had drained them of their resources and will to continue fighting what was essentially a regional war. They didn’t have the manpower, treasure or heart to continue. I expect that guilt over the Holocaust played a part also. Regardless, the Palestinians got royally screwed (which continues to this day). Once the State of Israel came into being, America jumped right on board in order to protect their own regional interests, sell arms and the American Dream, keep their rich Jewish donors happy, etc, etc. That is good help to have indeed. But too many people want to sugarcoat the facts and give the Israelis a shiny veneer that isn’t always appropriate. Yeah, I gave an incredibly abridged version (colored with my own bias) but the truth is the truth.......

THE HCP, riverman and GoBlazersGo like this.
  9. ABM

Commercial Real Estate
    I understand. There are some complexities. Hey, you seem to have a good understanding of all this. How did the 6-day war play into all of this? Is that when Israel appropriated Palestinian settlements?

10. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    What's the point? Uber delivers.

11. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

The 6 Day War had little if anything to do with the Palestinians. The war was fought against Egypt, Jordan and Syria. Mainly because they considered Israel to be a festering pimple on the Middle Eastern ass. Yes, it’s far more convoluted but that’s the nub of it.

Google (And the library) are your friends you know. And far more accurate and detailed resources than some old bored guy.....

riverman and ehizzy3 like this.
  12. ABM

Commercial Real Estate
    Speaking of board guys.....remember Duke? (Great restaurant, BTW). I'd bet @lawai'a could spin some yarns about him....

upload_2020-9-16_14-55-2.jpeg

lawai'a likes this.
  13. lawai'a

lawai'a Well-Known Member

only old guys seem to have a reference and i was never there to see him. still considered a hawaiian treasure though. eddie aikau is the younger generation's embodiment of the sport. "eddie would go" is still popular to equate daring to anything perceived dangerous.

ABM and SlyPokerDog like this.
  14. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

There were Jewish residents in the area of Israel / Palestine since way back, including the 2000 years since many were forcefully deported during the Roman and early Byzantine empires.

During the 19 century immigration of Jewish refugees started in earnest from Europe to the area which was part of the Ottoman empire.

The area was conquered by the British empire during WW1 - and given the composition of residents at the time - the British government through the Balfour statement provided for the creation of a countries for both the Jewish and Arabs that lived there. This was basically ratified later by the League of Nations (precursor to the UN) and have given the British the Mandate to rule the area until these countries would form.

In 1947 the UN voted to create these 2 countries - and all the neighboring Arab countries immediately opposed to it as they wanted to absorb the area and they invaded the area in 1948 when the British Mandate was terminated - the Arab population in the area basically split into 2 parts - those that decided to stay put and live within the Jewish country and those that decided they wanted to be citizens under the neighboring Arab countries - and fled the area waiting for the Arab win. In the intervening years, many of those that ran to Jordan were kept as refugees by the Jordanian government which is what lead to the creation of the PLO.

So, the idea that Israel forced people out is patently wrong, as out of about 7M Israeli citizens, 3M are Arabs even today, and it is those that chose to stay and be a part of the Jewish portion of the 2 states. The 6 days war was another round of Eygpt, Syria, Jordan et al trying to squeeze Israel by closing the Suez canal to passing any provisions to Israel and trying to strangle it financially. The result of that war was Israel getting large portions of land from all these 3 countries, including and not limited to Sinai, Gaza, the West Bank and portions of the Golan in the north. There was another war after that in '73 with more of the same results. In '77 Egypt signed a piece treaty with Israel, it received Sinai as part of that, but refused to take Gaza back.

At that point it was clear that the neighboring Arab countries were not really interested in the Palestinians well being, they just wanted the land - so the PLO became more and more popular and a lot of these displaced people wanted their own country. Israel have tried to achieve the 2 state solution with the Oslo accord in 1993 - which would have gradually brought the occupied areas to the PLO (with some exceptions). Following that, in 1994 Israel and Jordan signed a peace treaty, Jordan did not get any of the west bank as part of that - as it was supposed to go to the Palestinian state. The PLO basically went back on this solution because of Iranian backed radical elements like Hamas which disagreed with the 2 state solution and wanted the entire area to become part of Palestine, with Israel eliminated. As you can imagine from that - more radicalization happened in both parties with a more conservative, right-wing party in Israel trying to annex the west bank.

So, frankly, the entire Arab Emirates and Baharain "peace" is nothing more than these countries trying to find allies against the radical Iranian backed forces - they were never really in war with Israel. It is a photo op.

Stevenson, riverman and SlyPokerDog like this.
  15. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Me three.

16. Lanny

No, it's not that. It's more a case of teenagers cannot have enough vending machines.

17. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

That is all lunch rooms at schools are now. Just a big room filled with vending machines

18. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Maple Syrup is the new Oil in 2030!!!

SlyPokerDog, julius and Chris Craig like this.
  19. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Western Canada, Manitoba -BC
    We Don't want to hassle with Eastern Canadians.

julius likes this.
  20. Lanny

I say let's just take it all. I think we have a proven track record of how best to use our natural resources. I hear about how our stable genius President is selling off our wilderness areas for mining and drilling exploitation. Now this is how some really intelligent people run things. Trump for Noble prize,