Peavy preparing for Tigers — and to be traded

Discussion in 'Chicago White Sox' started by truebluefan, Jul 24, 2013.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Jake Peavy said he's concentrating on his next start Thursday against the Tigers amid increased scrutiny on his future after the Cubs' Matt Garza was dealt to the Rangers on Monday with the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline approaching.

"I'm not going to be caught off-guard," said Peavy, who pitched Saturday for the first time since being diagnosed with a left rib fracture after a start on June 4. "I understand there's a possibility of me being moved. So you prepare yourself in life that could happen. Act as if you are oblivious to the matter.

"But at the same time I have to get ready to pitch against the Detroit Tigers."

Peavy believes the compensation for him could be more defined now that Garza was dealt to Texas for five prospects. Unlike Garza, who can become a free agent after this season, Peavy is signed for 2014 at $14.5 million.

"What I know about baseball and just thinking about leverage and stuff, you think Garza is probably the biggest name out there," Peavy said. "You would think other teams would wait until that to set the market. That's my mind, my general manager mind."

The Red Sox, with a plethora of prospects, might not have the services of pitcher Clay Buchholz until mid-August. The Red Sox, Orioles and Braves were among the teams in attendance Monday night.

Peavy, meanwhile, hopes to pitch more effectively against Detroit than he did Saturday against the Braves when he pitched six innings of seven-hit ball without a sharp slider.

"Stay under control and pace myself a little better," said Peavy, who worked with rookie catcher Josh Phegley for the first time. "I didn't walk anybody Saturday but still wasn't on point with a lot of stuff. I didn't really get to use my whole repertoire because I didn't have a feel with all of it because I didn't have time to throw as much as I needed to have a feel with it all."

Peavy knows he will have no margin for error against a Tigers lineup that he was 1-3 with a 5.63 ERA against in six starts.

- See more at: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...t-0723-white-sox-bits-20130723,0,151643.story