Bogus! PHIL KNIGHT'S PLANTATION

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by MARIS61, Sep 4, 2018.

1. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Just how stupid is his arrangement between:

1. Nike, America's largest business ever to be built by actual slaves, most of them children but all of them living in squalid conditions, many imprisoned.

and...

2. Colin Kaepernick, a 3rd-string NFL quarterback who mounted a poor-me campaign as he saw his career slipping away, confusing nearly as many people as he offended by playing the race card while directing his insults at ALL AMERICANS, through the flag that represents them. His message has something to do with fighting racism and/or police, I'm told.

But for the right price, I guess he's okay with being Phil's _______? :dunno:

2. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Dammit!
    I don't even buy his shoes. I can't quit in protest.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    MARIS61 likes this.
  3. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Since Nike outfits the NBA and NFL I guess you could give up being a Blazer fan in protest.

4. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
  5. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
  6. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    I already did the NFL. We'll see what happens next.

BlazerWookee and SlyPokerDog like this.
  7. SlyPokerDog

Did a U.S. Veteran Influence Kaepernick’s ‘Take a Knee’ Protest of Police Brutality?
    Green Beret and NFL player Nate Boyer confirmed he convinced the quarterback to "take a knee," rather than sit, during the national anthem.

CLAIM

U.S. Army veteran Nate Boyer convinced Colin Kaepernick to kneel, rather than sit, while protesting police brutality during the national anthem.

RATING
    [​IMG] TRUE
    ORIGIN
    In September 2017, as many criticized the “take a knee” protests by National Football League players as anti-military, readers wrote in to ask if a veteran had played a role in Colin Kaepernick’s decision to kneel during the national anthem in protest of police killings of African Americans.

Army Special Forces veteran Nate Boyer has said that his conversations with Kaepernick influenced the former NFL player to kneel, rather than sit, during the anthem.

Kaepernick began his protest by sitting on the bench during the anthem prior to a preseason game on 14 August 2016 when he was playing for the San Francisco 49ers. He was not in uniform at the time. The protest began garnering coverage when journalist Jennifer Lee Chan captured him sitting (this time in uniform) in a photograph prior to the team’s third preseason game on 26 August 2016.

Two days later, Kaepernick spoke to reporters about the protest. The encounter included this exchange:

Reporter: So many people see the flag as a symbol of the military. How do you view it and what do you say to those people?

Kaepernick: I have great respect for the men and women that have fought for this country. I have family, I have friends that have gone and fought for this country. And they fight for freedom, they fight for the people, they fight for liberty and justice, for everyone. That’s not happening. People are dying in vain because this country isn’t holding their end of the bargain up, as far as giving freedom and justice, liberty to everybody. That’s something that’s not happening. I’ve seen videos, I’ve seen circumstances where men and women that have been in the military have come back and been treated unjustly by the country they have fought for, and have been murdered by the country they fought for, on our land. That’s not right.

When asked whether his protest could be construed as “a blanket indictment of law enforcement in general,” Kaepernick said:

There is police brutality. People of color have been targeted by police. So that’s a large part of it and they’re government officials. They are put in place by the government. So that’s something that this country has to change. There’s things we can do to hold them more accountable. Make those standards higher. You have people that practice law and are lawyers and go to school for eight years, but you can become a cop in six months and don’t have to have the same amount of training as a cosmetologist. That’s insane. Someone that’s holding a curling iron has more education and more training than people that have a gun and are going out on the street to protect us.

On 30 August 2016, the Army Times published an open letter to Kaepernick from former Seattle Seahawks player Nate Boyer, who served as a Green Beret in U.S. military actions in both Afghanistan and Iraq. In the piece, Boyer reflected on how he felt standing on the field as the anthem played during his only appearance for the Seahawks:

I thought about how far I’d come and the men I’d fought alongside who didn’t make it back. I thought about those overseas who were risking their lives at that very moment. I selfishly thought about what I had sacrificed to get to where I was, and while I knew I had little to no chance of making the Seahawks’ roster as a 34-year-old rookie, I was trying.

That moment meant so much more to me than even playing in the game did, and to be honest, if I had noticed my teammate sitting on the bench, it would have really hurt me.

I’m not judging you for standing up for what you believe in. It’s your inalienable right. What you are doing takes a lot of courage, and I’d be lying if I said I knew what it was like to walk around in your shoes. I’ve never had to deal with prejudice because of the color of my skin, and for me to say I can relate to what you’ve gone through is as ignorant as someone who’s never been in a combat zone telling me they understand what it’s like to go to war.

Boyer and Kaepernick met after the open letter was published, and before San Francisco’s final preseason game on 2 September 2016 in San Diego — the first time the quarterback knelt in front of the bench instead of sitting during the anthem. Boyer posted a photograph of himself with Kaepernick following the meeting, and later said:

We sorta came to a middle ground where he would take a knee alongside his teammate. Soldiers take a knee in front of a fallen brother’s grave, you know, to show respect. When we’re on a patrol, you know, and we go into a security halt, we take a knee, and we pull security.

Kaepernick’s then-teammate Eric Reid joined him in kneeling for the protest prior to that game. He recalled the experience in an op-ed published by The New York Times on 25 September 2017:

After hours of careful consideration, and even a visit from Nate Boyer, a retired Green Beret and former NFL player, we came to the conclusion that we should kneel, rather than sit, the next day during the anthem as a peaceful protest. We chose to kneel because it’s a respectful gesture. I remember thinking our posture was like a flag flown at half-mast to mark a tragedy.

Boyer also expanded on his discussion with both Reid and Kaepernick during a CNN town hall broadcast on 27 September 2017:

[Kaepernick] reached out and we were able to sit down together for a couple of hours before the last preseason game last year. It was really cool to hear him just listen, too, and be very open-minded, too, and [say] “Look, I don’t want to hurt you, I don’t want to hurt your brothers and sisters.” I showed him text messages of friends of mine and some of them were saying I was a disgrace to the Green Berets ’cause I was even meeting with him. And some of them were like, “I’m with you man but it really hurts me to see that.”

So when I talked to them, it was mutual. Me, him, and Eric Reid [said] “I think maybe taking a knee would be a little more respectful. It’s still a demonstration. You’re still saying something but, people take a knee to pray. So for me it was a common ground, at least, to start from.

Although Kaepernick is not currently signed to a team, various NFL players and team owners adopted the kneeling protest prior to games on 24 September 2017 after President Donald Trump told supporters during a rally that owners should fire any player who engaged in the demonstration, saying, “Get that son of a bitch off the field right now, he’s fired. He’s fired.”

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/veteran-kaepernick-take-a-knee-anthem/

Lanny and Shaboid like this.
  8. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    He lost me at curling iron.

Is there any Real American he won't insult? :dunno:

9. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Does Kraft still make Real American Cheese? They used to advertise a lot in the 50s and 60s. Probably grew it on a Mexican plantation.

10. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    You want the best cheese go to Europe, France or Italy. Love tillamook cheese, but those EU countries knows what they’re doin.
    Tillamook is 100x better than Kraft. Just thinkin about cheese now...

rotary111 and SlyPokerDog like this.
  11. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

Cypress Grove

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  12. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Another Real American success story!

The Story of J.L. Kraft
    The history of KRAFT goes back to 1903, when, with $65 in capital, a rented wagon and a horse named Paddy, J.L. Kraft
    started purchasing cheese at Chicago’s Water Street wholesale market and reselling it to local merchants. Within
    a short time, four of J.L. Kraft’s brothers joined him in the business, and, in 1909, they incorporated as J.L. Kraft &
    Bros. Co. In 1914, J.L. Kraft and his brothers purchased their first cheese factory in Stockton, Illinois. In 1915, they began producing processed cheese in 3-1/2 and 7-3/4 ounce tins. J.L. Kraft’s method of producing processed cheese was so revolutionary, in 1916 he obtained a patent for it and in 1917 the company started supplying cheese in tins to the U.S. Government for the armed forces in World War I.
    J.L. Kraft followed up on his success with processed cheese in tins by introducing or acquiring many additional products, including processed cheese in loaves, VELVEETA Process Cheese, PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, MIRACLE WHIP Salad Dressing and
    KRAFT DINNER Macaroni and Cheese. He used innovative advertising to promote his products and was a pioneer in the sponsorship of television and radio shows. Kraft Music Hall on radio and Kraft Television Theatre helped prove the effectiveness of advertising on the then-new media. The company’s “hands” commercials, showing a pair of hands preparing recipes using Kraft products, became a symbol of the company’s advertising
    success. Aggressive sales merchandising techniques contributed further to the company’s growing market share in an increasingly diverse line of products.
    The success of J.L. Kraft and his company was noted by Thomas McInnerney, founder of National Dairy Products Corporation. In 1930, Kraft-Phenix Cheese Corporation (as it was then called) was acquired by National Dairy Products Corporation.

13. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Pretty cheesy post, Maris.

barfo

14. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

Trash. Come at me when your cheese game grows.

EL PRESIDENTE and riverman like this.
  15. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

Now you are being shocking just to shock.

You are a fictitious character.

Who let this guy in?

You are on my ignore list! (Blazers trumpets in the background)

16. SlyPokerDog

17. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

Haha.

I was using hyperbole. But, Cyprus Grove used to be pretty legit. They grew too large too quickly though. Not only do they not use all local milk like they used to, having to ship milk in from across the country to fulfill orders, but the product has suffered greatly as well. They ship out wheels of cheese that are flawed, or way under aged. There is a reason you don't see them in high end cheese shops any longer.

A great Oregon alternative is anything from River's Edge over in Logsdon on the coast. Pat Morford is the head cheese maker, and only the rest of her immediate family help her. They are gracious as well, as I have visited several times and have always been invited into their home and treated to their personal bounty with a bottle of wine.

TLDR version: Cyprus Grove got too big for their britches. River's Edge is small batch Goat cheese done the way it should be

18. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    I don't know what happened in their early years but they now have strict rules on how subcontractors can pay their employees and treat their employees that make Nike shoes.

The only reason Kaepernick's career slipped away was because of collusion to never employ him as a punishment for his behavior. For God's sake, he was the winning starting quarterback on a Super Bowl champion team.

19. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Lanny
    San Francisco lost that Super Bowl.
    I believe there was some amount of the nfl colluding against him, but it sounds like the ravens and Denver both wanted to sign him. Just throwing it out there.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    SlyPokerDog and Chris Craig like this.
  20. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Yeah, I realized that shortly after I wrote it.