Philadelphia Union

Discussion in 'Americas' started by EPJr, Jun 26, 2010.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Philadelphia Union Earn Road Draw against Real Salt Lake

Philadelphia Union (7-5-6) earned a 2-2 draw with Western Conference club Real Salt Lake on the road at Rio Tinto Stadium Wednesday evening, as Union goals from Sebastien Le Toux and Conor Casey were equaled by Luis Gil and a penalty kick seven minutes into extra time by Javier Morales.

"If you would've told me coming into this game that I would've had a point coming out of here, I would've said I'll take it. The way that it went down, no, we're disappointed," Team Manager John Hackworth said after the match. "The locker room is gutted right now, very frustrated... it's tough to swallow. Again, every game in perspective, we've got to learn and manage it a little better."

The Union struck first behind a goal from Le Toux in the 13th minute. Defender Sheanon Williams sprung Casey behind the Real Salt Lake defense on the right side and the forward dribbled towards the touchline, cut inside and fed Le Toux, who was there to knock it past RSL goalkeeper Josh Saunders and give the Union the lead.

Salt Lake came close to answering shortly after, as a header from Robbie Findley went just wide of Zac MacMath's net. Joel Plata made a run down the right hand side before whipping in service to Findley, whose header bounced inches outside of the frame. The home side continued to attack until the end of the half, with several chances in the ensuing minutes. But the Union defense held firm and withstood the pressure to retain the lead into the break.

Both teams started the second half with no substitutes, but the game changed when Real Salt Lake dropped to 10 men after Lovel Palmer received a straight red for a foul on the Union's Michael Farfan. The Salt Lake player went in for a challenge and clipped the midfielder, who was subsequently subbed off in favor of Antoine Hoppenot.

Despite going a man down, second-half substitute Sebastian Velasquez provided an immediate boost for the home side, as the midfielder tried to bring the game level in the 72nd minute with a shot on MacMath from inside the 18. Velasquez collected a ball and fired it on frame, but the Union keeper made a diving save to his right.

"Credit to Salt Lake, they never stopped, they threw numbers forward, they made it really tough for us and that's because they're a good team," Hackworth said. "There's a reason they're the best team in the league right now."

Real Salt Lake brought the game level shortly after through a header in the 75th minute from second-half substitute Luis Gil, who was playing in his first MLS match since representing the U.S. in the U-20 World Cup. After drawing even, the Union responded immediately as second-half substitute Hoppenot got behind the Salt Lake defense and centered it to an oncoming Casey, who finished calmly past Saunders just moments later in the 76th minute.

Salt Lake threw numbers forward to apply the pressure in the final minutes, eventually being rewarded deep into stoppage time as a penalty kick was given when the referee whistled for a hand ball on Union defender Ray Gaddis in the box. Javier Morales stepped up to the spot and clanked it off the woodwork and in to ensure the tie.

"We've got to improve. This is the second game in a row where we've lot points at the very end of the game," Hackworth said. "A couple mistakes on our part and we just need to learn. I thought we would've done a better job managing it this week, so we'll have to keep working on it."

The club remains on the road as they head to Texas for a Saturday matchup against Eastern Conference side Houston Dynamo, set for 9 p.m. ET on The Comcast Network.

2. truebluefan

Union win slogfest over Chivas USA

All 10 remaining Chivas USA players and the goalkeeper crowded the goalmouth in the 82d minute of their match against the Union Friday. They lunged forward and then back, trying to time the Union shot.

Seven yards away, Michael Farfan waited.

Then he struck. A sloppy match turned frenzied late, and Farfan sealed a 3-1 comeback victory for the Union with one of the more unorthodox goals in soccer. He scored on an indirect kick from atop the 6-yard box - essentially a more harried, more crowded penalty kick from closer range. It was the Union's first comeback win all season.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...fest_over_Chivas_USA.html#VOorFudmRVWc0kWO.99

3. truebluefan

Philadelphia Union Earn 0-0 Draw with Portland Timbers

Philadelphia Union (8-6-7) earned a 0-0 draw with the Portland Timbers Saturday night in front of sold out crowd of 18,740 at PPL Park. Despite a delay to second-half play due to inclement weather in the area, goalkeeper Zac MacMath recorded four saves to earn a shutout on the night.

" Would we have liked to come away with 3 points? Sure," said Coach Rob Vartughian, who was filling in as team manager for a suspended John Hackworth. "But at the end of the day, a guy makes a world-class save on Conor's ball, that's just how it goes. In terms of where we are from a confidence standpoint, I think everybody feels pretty good about what we're doing."

It took 53 minutes for the second half to reconvene as a weather system that featured heavy rains and fierce lightning strikes. But once it did, a Union corps emerged that seemed more threatening and pushed the match to Portland, creating numerous chances and forcing Portland (8-2-10, 34 points) keeper Donovan Ricketts to make big stops to keep the Timbers level. The Union's best chance came in the 71st minute, as a volley from Union forward Conor Casey was denied by Ricketts to keep the score level.

But it wasn't what was said during intermission that brought about the renewed vigor, but what just about everyone in the locker room did while they waited for the heavy rains to subside.

"Guys were laying down sleeping with their legs up on [the chair in their stall]," said defender Brian Carroll. "We all had our feet up on the chair watching some other games around the league; you know, just kicking back and relaxing. It was all about staying focused but I think we all realized that we needed to chill out a little bit."

One player that looked comfortable tonight was goalkeeper Zac MacMath, who earned his sixth shutout of the season. MacMath was solid in the back making four big saves, perhaps his biggest a point blank stop on Timbers forward Diego Valeri from just inside six-yard-box in the 66th minute.

"This was one of his best matches of the year," Carroll said emphatically about his goalkeeper's performance. "He was really strong back there, he was communicative, decisive and he came up with a lot of really huge plays for us. Hard fought game from everyone, but personally I thought this was one of Zac's best."

For MacMath his calm demeanor postgame conveyed that it was all in a night's work.

"I had the same mentality I do every game," said MacMath. "You go out there and try to get your team a shutout and keep them in it and thankfully I was able to do that tonight. It was a good tie for us against a good team; Portland has been playing really well this year and they are a tough team and they proved it tonight. But I thought we took the game to them in the second half and unfortunately we weren't able to put one away tonight."

The Union will next travel west to face the Vancouver Whitecaps next Saturday (7 p.m. ET, The Comcast Network).

4. truebluefan

Philadelphia Union Hand Vancouver Whitecaps FC First Home Loss

Philadelphia Union (9-6-7) defeated Vancouver Whitecaps FC, 1-0 at BC Place on Saturday night behind an 85th-minute goal from Antoine Hoppenot. The victory marks the first time Vancouver has lost at home this year in MLS play.

"That was a really, really big win for us against a very good team," Team Manager John Hackworth said. "They were really good even when they went down a man. For us to hang in there for a little while and pull one out is great."

Hoppenot provided the game winner, but the game took a change early when Vancouver went down a man in the 8th minute, as Jun Marques Davidson was sent off for a head butt on Keon Daniel. Daniel went in for a challenge on the Vancouver midfielder, but after being whistled for a foul, Davidson slammed his head into the back of Daniel and was shown a straight red.

Despite the man advantage, both teams went scoreless into the break for halftime.

"I was impressed with Vancouver; they didn't change their formation, they kept attacking and they put a lot of energy in that," Hackworth said. "So we knew that if we were patient and possessed the ball and created some opportunities, we were hoping one would eventually come and it did."

Vancouver subbed in rookie forward Kekuta Manneh in favor of Kenny Miller early in the second half, with the change almost paying immediate dividends for the home side. Manneh raced in behind the Union defense and fired a shot just past and outstretched MacMath, but his effort clanged the post and bounced back into the Union goalkeeper's hands. MacMath made several big saves in the second half, finishing the night with five total.

With still scoreless later in the second half, Hackworth subbed in Hoppenot, Aaron Wheeler and Fabinho, with those decisions proving to be a key part in the victory. Wheeler eventually provided the game-winning assist to Hoppenot, who buried a ball past Knighton in the 85th minute to give the team all three points on the road.

"Good players make coaches look good sometimes, and [Hoppenot] certainly did that," Hackworth said. "I thought Aaron Wheeler came on and did a great job and I thought Fabinho came on and did a great job. We're a team that way; every time we bring a guy off the bench, they have contributed this year. Once again, that was the case today."

Wheeler and Hoppenot combined for a great play on the edge of Vancouver's box, as Wheeler flicked back a pass to an oncoming Hoppenot, who took one touch and then fired a left-footed shot into the net to score his third of the season.

"Wheeler played me a good ball and I was through," Hoppenot said of the goal. "The ball was bouncing, and all I had to do was put it into the back of the net. Most of the work was done by Wheeler, so you've got to thank him for that goal."

The Union were able to drain the clock for the remainder of the game with sustain bits of possession and walk away with three points on the road.

"For us to be able to get wins against the top teams in MLS, it gives us the confidence to know that we can later on in the year," Hoppenot said.

The Union look ahead to the a home match at PPL Park against an Eastern Conference foe in Chicago Fire next Saturday (8 p.m., CSN) but first, prepare for an international friendly against English side Stoke City FC on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. at PPL Park.

5. truebluefan

Philadelphia Union Fall to Chicago Fire, 2-1

The Philadelphia Union (9-7-7) fell to the Chicago Fire, 2-1 Saturday night at PPL Park as a second-half goal from defender Sheanon Williams wasn't enough to overcome Chicago goals from Patrick Nyarko and Mike Magee.

The loss snapped a six match unbeaten streak at home and was the Union's first loss in league play in nearly a month.

"We knew Chicago would come and give us a really good game; they're a pretty good team," Team Manager John Hackworth said after the match. "It was never going to be easy, but to go down a goal and come back and then lose another goal, we felt like we had out foot on the gas a little bit. But losing the way we did was really unfortunate."

It was the Fire (8-9-4, 28 points) that got on the board first courtesy of a Nyarko goal in the ninth minute, but an equalizer at the hour mark of the match from defender Sheanon Williams found the Union draw level. Williams scored with what appeared to be a head/heel combo inside the six, finishing off a ball in from Sebastien Le Toux in the 60th minute. Le Toux' helper marked his 10th of the season, a league high in assists.

But Chicago forward Mike Magee padded his chance to win MLS' Golden Boot, scoring the game winner in the 75th minute after the Fire pounced on a turnover in the midfield. Nyarko slotted a through ball to Magee who pounded a shot past MacMath for his 14th goal of the season - a league high.

"It's a tough one. I don't think the team came out the way we should have in the first half," said MacMath, who finished with three saves. "In the first 30 minutes, we struggled, and they put a lot of pressure on us. A lot of credit goes to them, but I still think that in the last 15 [minutes] of the first half, and in most of the second half, we had the good part of the match, and we were unfortunate to give up two easy goals like that."

Following the Williams goal however, the Union brought wave after wave of chances at the Chicago defense, specifically at Fire goalkeeper Sean Johnson. According to the final stat sheet, the Union held edge in attempts on goal (19-12), corner kicks (9-6) and overall possession (57.2-42.8).

Jack McInerney nearly earned his 11th goal of the season after a clear look on goal hit the outside of Chicago's net. In stoppage, the Union had another good chance in which a weak clearance attempt from Johnson found the feet of Amobi Okugo. Okugo's shot steered clear of Johnson's glove but also narrowly missed the far post net. With the loss, the Union remains in fourth place, nestled ahead of Houston (33 points) and just behind Montreal (35 points).

"They had a little bit more heart," said defender Sheanon Williams. "The last few times we played them, they settled for losing. Definitely with the new people that they brought in, they're a different team. They're not the same team that we beat twice."

The Union will look for another potential six point swing when D.C. United visits the Chester waterfront next Saturday (8 p.m., NBCSN) for a match at PPL Park. United gave the Union some help defeating Montreal, 3-1 at RFK Stadium in a match prior to the Union's kickoff with Chicago. It's a game in which three points could find the Union literally back in the swing of what is a tight race to the finish in the Eastern Conference.

"Yeah, we were hoping to go on a little three-game win streak," said McInerney. "It was a good opportunity, but we have to put this game behind us. We have been pretty inconsistent this year with winning. No one expected us to win in Vancouver, and we would have expected to win today. I think we just have to put it behind us and come out hard against D.C. [United]."

6. truebluefan

Philadelphia Union Earn 2-0 Win over Rival D.C. United

The Philadelphia Union (10-7-7) defeated Eastern Conference rival D.C. United Saturday night behind two goals from forward Conor Casey in front of a sold-out crowd of 18,652 at PPL Park.

"I think, and I have said this all along, that we have a group of players who believe in each other, they trust each other," said Team Manager John Hackworth. "I think the character you see out of our team every time we have a negative result, to come back and have a positive one. We have done it all year long and I think our resolve that way is excellent."

The brace was Casey's second of the season, his first in a 3-0 win at PPL Park against New York. Casey has always emerged strong against the Union's rivals this season and Saturday night against United was no different.

But it wasn't his stats - numbers that continue to climb at a rapid rate - that Casey wanted to dwell on postgame.

"It was a must-win," said Casey on what fueled his performance. "We were playing against an Eastern Conference team that has struggled this year and has had some injuries coming into this week. Regardless, we haven't dropped two in a row yet this year and we were playing at home. It was a must-win and it was great that we were able to come away with the points."

Casey's first goal came in the 35th minute, after a ball into the 18-yard-box from Sheanon Williams was flicked on by Sebastien Le Toux. Casey ran onto Le Toux' flick and slotted it past a lunging Bill Hamid. In the 78th, Casey got the better of Hamid once more, as a lofted ball to the back post found Casey for a one-timed volley past the D.C. United goalkeeper.

"He scores two goals, fantastic," said Union manager John Hackworth. "But what he did early in that game changed a little bit of it by dropping deep in the midfield and giving us the ability to play into him and off of him, it changed things for us. So, really happy for him and that he continues to do those things; I have said it all along, I am really glad we have him."

Le Toux extended his league lead in assists with 12 while Fabinho chimed in with his second helper of the season. Interestingly enough, Le Toux played on the left side of the pitch out of position in behind Fabinho, but was still able to connect with his usual partner in behind in Williams for the game's first goal.

Additionally, Zac MacMath had another brilliant game earning his third shutout in four matches and his eighth overall this season. MacMath looked especially keen in the 72nd minute when he noticed a streaking Le Toux down the middle of the field and played a ball into stride that was broken up by a charging Hamid.

It wasn't exactly what you'd expect from a Union-United showdown, as only four cautions were issued and in terms of extracurricular activity off the ball, it was few and far between. What the Union gain from this is even more swagger going into another tough battle against another rival in New York next Saturday (8 p.m., NBC Sports Network). Nestled in third in place, the Union within two points of East leaders Sporting Kansas City (11-7-6, 39 points) and are a point behind Red Bull.

The Union return to action at PPL Park on August 31 when they look to exact revenge against Montreal Impact. The last time those two met was on May 25 when the Marco Di Vaio fueled a 5-3 defeat in Canada.

7. truebluefan

Philadelphia Union Earn Draw against Eastern Conference Leader

Philadelphia Union (10-8-9) earned a point against Eastern Conference leader Montreal Impact Saturday night at PPL Park, as a shutout from Zac MacMath propelled the home side to 39 points on the year en route to a scoreless draw.

The Union took the sting from a tough loss against New England and funneled it into a dominant performance against league leaders Montreal Saturday night at PPL Park. Creating numerous chances, the club kept the Impact on their heels for much of the match.

Unfortunately, it amounted to only a point as the Union battled to a scoreless 0-0 draw in an affair that saw Philadelphia edge Montreal in attempts on goal (12-4), shots on target (4-1) and corner kicks (6-1).

"It certainly was a little disappointing not to get the three points," said Union manager John Hackworth, postgame. "We executed our game plan and got the chances and didn't put them in the back of the net, and that happens. Montreal is a very attack oriented team and are a dangerous team. It's disappointing, but you have to take it in stride. "

The Union got things rolling as early as the fifth minute, as a counterattack in the box had to be slowed due to what looked to be a serious injury to midfielder-forward Sebastien Le Toux. Le Toux did play the full match and later said the knock was a shot to the jaw as he attempted to crash the box on a ball played into traffic from midfielder Danny Cruz.

What was great about this match was that the Union exhibited a complete 90 minute effort en route to the point. Many times this season found a sluggish first half followed by a furious second-half stanza. Not the case in this one, as the first place Impact chased the Union's attack up and down the flanks for the majority of the night.

"In my opinion, we had the better chances," said defender Sheanon Williams. "We could have snuck that one away with them, but we've got to take what we can and move forward. We've got another game on Sunday - a long road trip - and something that we need to get points out of."

Much of the Union's attack started from the back on this night. A catalyst for many attempts on frame derived from the play of Fabinho, the Union's left back created space with his speed delivered a slew of perfect balls into the 18-yard-box. In the 77th minute, he provided perhaps the biggest chance to go ahead playing a driven ball into the box that just missed the run of forward Jack McInerney. The play froze Montreal goalkeeper Troy Perkins momentarily, but both McInerney and an awaiting Conor Casey narrowly missed putting the Union up, 1-0.

"I thought we created some really good chances in the first half and the second half," said Hackworth. "The hardest thing to do in this sport is to score a goal. As long as we're creating [good chances], then I know they're going to come. We did that in both halves."

With the draw, the Union continues a streak of not losing back-to-back matches this season, improving their mark to 4-0-4 after a loss. The confidence that comes from pulling points against the Eastern Conference leaders will be tested next Sunday when the club takes its final West Coast jaunt this season to take on San Jose (11 p.m. ET, ESPN2). The Union remained locked in a playoff spot, but as the season comes to a dramatic conclusion in the Eastern Conference, it's imperative the Union to put forth efforts like the one displayed under the lights at PPL Park Saturday night.

8. truebluefan

Philadelphia Union Fall to Houston Dynamo, 1-0

Philadelphia Union (10-10-9) fell to the Houston Dynamo, 1-0 Saturday evening at PPL Park, as Houston midfielder Ricardo Clark scored in the 53' minute to give the visitors the victory.

A pivotal moment in the game came in the 30th minute on a disallowed goal for the Union. Keon Daniel lined up to hit a free kick from about 40 yards out, catching every inch of the ball as it sailed through the hands of Houston goalkeeper Tally Hall for what looked to be the game's first goal. Instead, the goal was disallowed by referee Mark Kadlecik.

"When the ball was played, the Union player (Union defender Amobi Okugo) was judged to be offsides, so therefore he was penalized for being offsides on that play," Kadlecik said. "The offsides player (Okugo) interfered with the keeper. It didn't matter if it was physical or not. If they're offsides, they are interfering with play."

Instead of Daniel's blast becoming fuel to stoke a three-point favor for the Union, it was Houston that would leave the Chester waterfront with the result. With that said, the Union (10-10-9, 39 points) as Houston (11-10-7) sits fourth in the East with 40 points.

"This is a cruel game sometimes," said Team Manager John Hackworth. "It just feels like in a lot of ways, we can't catch a break. That's not the reason that we are sitting here where we are [in the standings], but sometimes you need the ball to bounce your way a little and certainly not have outside factors take goals away and affect your game."

It took the wind out of collective sails as the second half found the Union eager to finish their chances, but unable to put one away. The final stat sheet found the Union with nine chances on goal, but with Houston's Hall needing to make just one save. The loss also was the first time this season the Union lost back-to-back games after coming off a disappointing result against San Jose a week earlier.

One monumental positive however was yet again strong play on the left flank from Fabinho. Pushed higher into an outside midfield role given the return of Okugo to central defense, Fabinho smartly created space for himself and whipped in stellar crosses that kept Hall on his toes and gave the Union every chance to forge ahead.

"He certainly is a dangerous player at left midfield and he showed that tonight," said Hackworth. "His service...he put in three of the best balls in that first half and it's just unfortunate we weren't able to really get him an assist on one of those. It's hard to fault him and a lot of our other guys when we play as well as we did in that game and lose."

With a week off, the Union returns to MLS action when they travel to Sporting Kansas City on Sept. 27 (8 p.m., NBC Sports Network). It's a well-timed respite given the frustrating events that have transpired over the last few weeks for the club and it will lend a ton of perspective as the Union look get back on track as the postseason picture continues to be a dogfight in MLS' Eastern Conference.

"It was tough for the fans, they are excited to see a goal and to have it called back in that fashion. The refs were indecisive about what it was," said defender Amobi Okugo. "The fans come here and they are an experienced, intellectual fan base. They'll let you know if it's a bad call or if it's the right call. We feel gutted for the fans. We need to take these two weeks and make sure we come out stronger and better - bottom line."

9. truebluefan

Philadelphia Union Move Back into Playoff Spot with Road Win vs. Sporting Kansas City

Winless since August, and on the outside looking in at the playoffs, the Union quieted its naysayers with the victory at Sporting Park, a place the club has never won and against a team it only had only defeated once entering the match.

A patient Union side waited for a chance to pounce and in the 36th minute, forward Conor Casey rewarded a scintillating run and ball into the box down the right flank from Danny Cruz, as Casey thumped a loose ball from point blank rage past Sporting goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen.

The goal snapped a 345 minute scoring streak for the Union and put Casey tied for the team lead in goals alongside fellow forward Jack McInerney with 10. Additionally, the win moved the Union from the seventh spot in the East and back into playoff contention as they improved to 11-10-9 (42 points) on the season.

"The put us under a lot of pressure for good chunks of the game," Casey said postgame. "But I thought we defended quite well, especially our back four. It was just really a great team defensive effort...it's just a huge three points for us and something we really needed at this point in the season."

The Union withstood a barrage of Sporting (14-10-6, 48 points) attacks and counterattacks with a commanding physical defensive presence. It almost appeared as if the Union's physicality was unexpected by a Kansas City team that was looking for a win to chase the pack in the race for the MLS Supporters Shield, given to the team with the best regular season record. While they got their chances, the Union was excellent in keeping Sporting guns Graham Zusi, Benny Feilhaber, Jacob Peterson and C.J. Sapong in check for the full 90 minutes.

"Playing here is incredibly difficult," Union manager John Hackworth said. "We were up against a really good opponent tonight and we were fortunate, but you can see our fight and we were pretty tough and resilient all the way through."

The man of this match for the Union had to be the play of Zac MacMath, who dialed in to the tune of five saves and picked up his league leading 11th shutout of the season. In this match, it was less about parrying away shots that were on target but keeping lofted balls and driven crosses into his 18-yard box away from the back of his net.

A task the 22-year-old was clearly up to on this night.

"I really didn't see too many shots on goal, but I think the team had to sit-in as Kansas City just bombed balls into the box," said MacMath. "The defense did really well just heading balls away and keeping everything clear...I will say that the first 30 minutes weren't the way we planned them to go, but anytime you can get a goal in the first half, you give yourself a chance to win."

A true statement from MacMath, as his club improved to 7-0-2 this season in league play when taking the lead into half.

The physical nature of this one didn't come without consequences however. Hackworth noted postgame that Cruz, who left the match in the 58th minute suffered a "hamstring tweak," which gave Hackworth concerns on whether or not he'll be good to go for next Saturday's match against Toronto FC at PPL Park (7:30 p.m., The Comcast Network). Additionally, there was some concern over the health of right back Sheanon Williams, who gave up plenty of his body to preserve this win.

It was a night in which the Union proved that there is definitely still plenty of fight in the dog.

Now it's time ensure it can be replicated over the next four weeks.

"We have four more games left and we still have to win at least two more games," said Casey. "We know where we are at and tonight was a big win, it's just important that we carry the win like this brings into next week and go after three points at home next week.

10. truebluefan

Philadelphia Wins Thrilling Match Over Toronto FC and Remain in Playoff Position

Philadelphia Union (12-10-9) defeated Toronto FC Saturday evening behind a last-minute free kick goal from Kleberson. The victory keeps the Union in playoff contention ahead of a road trip to D.C. United next Saturday, Oct. 12.

With a casual swing of the boot in the 95th minute, Kleberson hit a curling driven in-swinger past Toronto goalkeeper Joe Bendik and then proceeded to run the length of the field in hysteria.

Union 1, Toronto 0; three assured points for the Union, a stronger belief in what has become an all-out push for the postseason and a goal that also secured the club's best win total in team history (12-10-9, 45 points).

"I'm very happy. I feel like the Union fans needed this, I needed to show them that I could score a goal," Kleberson said postgame. "I'm very happy that this moment came; I'm very, very happy. This goal is for the fans."

On the flip side, Toronto (5-16-11, 26 points) entered PPL Park out to play the role of spoiler and inadvertently may have done so. Heading into a match next week against D.C. United (7 p.m., The Comcast Network), the Union will have to do so without the services of Sheanon Williams (yellow card accumulation) and Fabinho who was red carded in the 77th minute after referee Armando Villarreal surmised the Brazilian appeared to step on a TFC defender while battling for possession.

Union forward Antoine Hoppenot, who was also a second half substitute, terrorized Toronto's back line but found it difficult to put one away. His first of six total shots at Bendik caromed off the post nearly putting the Union ahead in the 60th minute. But Hoppenot was the catalyst on the Union's only goal of the night as he was the player taken down setting up Kleberson's heroic finish.

"Coming in, I knew I needed to create chances," said Hoppenot. "I did that part, I think, pretty well. Finishing the chances was a problem tonight. It's a great win though. Kleberson coming in and scoring that goal is incredible. You could tell how happy he was to finally be able to do that for the Philadelphia fans. He's been working really hard in practice, so we're all happy for him that he's able to come in and get a great goal for us - a really, really important goal for us."

A monumental goal considering it kept the Union secured in the fifth and final spot for the playoffs with three matches remaining. The club also received help from rival New York, who scored in stoppage of its match to secure a playoff spot and keep New England scratching and clawing.

Union goalkeeper Zac MacMath, who posted four saves on the night, felt confident that his club can pull through on this postseason quest - especially if know, there is confidence that goals can come from the unlikeliest of places.

"I think we need to enjoy [the win], first off," said Zac MacMath. "We've got a day or two to probably take our bodies, let our bodies relax. We need to enjoy the win. Obviously, it was a grueling match, physically and mentally. Once we come back to work, on whatever day it is, we know that this game's over, and we have three more left, and a big one against D.C. They are our biggest rival. All of our games against D.C. are always tough, physical battles. Especially going into RFK, we have to be prepared mentally and physically."

11. truebluefan

Philadelphia Union Fall to Montreal Impact on the Road

Philadelphia Union (12-11-10) fell to the Montreal Impact (14-12-7), 2-1 Saturday afternoon at Stade Saputo as a first-half goal from Fabinho was matched by two from Montreal in the second half. The Union will face Sporting Kansas City next week at PPL Park in the final match of the MLS Regular Season, hoping for an opportunity to advance to MLS Cup Playoffs (3 p.m. ET, NBC Sports).

It was the Union that opened the scoring account in the 29th minute as midfielder Fabinho finished off a nice run into the box with a great goal past Montreal goalkeeper Troy Perkins. However, the Impact would answer in the second half after goals from forward Marco Di Vaio and Karl Ouimette snapped the Impact's six-game unbeaten streak.

As it currently stands, securing a playoff spot is not out of reach for the Union barring the results of other matches going on later in the day. To stay alive, the Union (12-11-10, 46 points) needed losses or draws from Chicago (vs. Toronto) and Houston (vs. New York) and energies squarely focused on taking care of business against Sporting Kansas City next Saturday.

"Giving up two goals like that is unlucky for us - we have to do better," said Union goalkeeper Zac MacMath. "We should've tried to get a better control of the game in the second half because I thought we played a very solid first half. It should have been us dictating the game ourselves and not [Montreal] dictating that last 45 minutes."

It was a Union team devoid of some of its better playmakers. The club was without forward-midfielder Sebastien Le Toux due to a foot injury and midfielder Michael Farfan, who was suspended for yellow card accumulation.

One positive was the second half substitution of forward Antoine Hoppenot in the 67th minute.

Hoppenot, who served as the team's spark plug for much of the season, was at it again, running at the tired legs of Montreal's back line. Hoppenot managed to create chances in the box for his club, but again it came down to the inability to finish chances and create that second goal.

"We played a good first half," said Union forward Conor Casey. "But in the second half, they threw numbers forward and made it tough. I did think we had a couple of decent chances in the second half, as well. We just weren't able to put one away."

Now it comes down to the final game of the MLS Regular Season. Depending on one of those results holding true in the aforementioned Eastern Conference matches, three points against Sporting Kansas City is a must. Earlier this season, the Union traveled to Kansas City and pulled three points after a calculated lineup and formation proved successful.

"This is a playoff game before the playoffs," Union manager John Hackworth said postgame, referring to the match with the Impact. However, the same hold true heading into next Saturday. "Our expectations were that we were going to come in and get a victory... the players understand what's on the line. We've all talked about it. And if we are still mathematically alive heading into next weekend, then you can trust we'll be putting everything we can into it."

12. truebluefan

Philadelphia Union Fall to Sporting Kansas City in Season Finale

Philadelphia Union (12-12-10) fell to Sporting Kansas City, 2-1 Saturday afternoon at PPL Park in the season's final game, ending the Union's chances at a MLS Cup playoff berth.

Sporting KC got on the board first behind a goal from playmaker Graham Zusi in the 47th minute, but in the 88th second half substitution Jack McInerney sparked life, scoring his 12th of the season by cleaning up a Jeff Parke header in the box. It was a classic McInerney finish, who once again found himself in perfect position to put home the goal.

In stoppage, midfielder Lawrence Olum crushed hopes, finishing off a break away from teammate Teal Bunbury to secure the win and three points. Those points push Sporting now one match closer to securing MLS' Supporters Shield.

"The last ten minutes we were down a goal and we can't take the tie, all we can do is win," said defender Amobi Okugo. "Jack did a good job to get the goal but when we tried to get the second one, we were playing just two in the back. [Sporting Kansas City goalkeeper Jimmy] Nielsen played a good ball out on the following play and they scored."

"It's tough. We had a chance all the way through, we had chances to put away teams behind us earlier in the season and we failed to do that and then it caught up with us."

For the Union, while its playoff hopes were closed, the club can celebrate finishing with its second best record in its four year history and the most wins in club history ending the season at 12-12-10 (46 points) overall. Additionally, this season marked the first a pair of players have double digits in the goal scoring category courtesy of McInerney (12) and Conor Casey (10).

"I think there are a lot of guys in the locker room who are going to be back here next year," said Union manager John Hackworth. "I believe a lot of these guys are really going to profit from this year and the experiences that this team has had. It is hard for me to sit here and tell you guys that I think the future looks bright [after such a tough loss], but in fact, I really believe that it does. We have a couple of pieces that we need to change, and we have some tough decisions in the off season, just like any other team, but I would look at it very optimistically."

It was the Union who looked as if they were going to play the role of spoiler initially as the Union pressed the attack, sparked by the duo of Kleberson and Michael Farfan, the latter who played smart balls into teammates and exhibited a physical presence winning 50-50 balls and creating chances. Union manager John Hackworth decided to go with forward Antoine Hoppenot as a midfielder-forward in this one in a hybrid 4-4-2 formation and found the second year player up to the task running at the likes of Sporting Kansas City's bigger back line.

The stat sheet will show the Union edged Sporting in possession and kept pace with chances created (SKC, 16-Union, 12), but the stat that mattered most, getting points to keep hope alive is the only one that matters.

"We are a young team and we got a lot of positives out of this season going into next season, said Union defender Ray Gaddis. "It's very disappointing. We were in the hunt all year and for us to lose like we did, it's heartbreaking a little, bit but you live and you learn. What we take from this season and apply it to next season we will be alright."

13. EPJr

EPJr Producer Staff Member Producer

Philadelphia Union's John Hackworth reiterates core of young players will be key to success in 2014
    [​IMG]

Philadelphia Union manager John Hackworth has gone on the record saying that he hopes to sign around three or four new players this offseason, including at least one marquee acquisition.

But another one of his biggest priorities will be to keep the team’s promising young core intact.

“We have to add the pieces that are essential for us to take the next step,” Hackworth told MLSsoccer.com. “But for the most part, our young core of players is going to lead the direction.”

In 2013, the Union were once again one of the youngest teams in the league. Of the 11 players who logged the most minutes, seven were younger than 25 – a group that included leading scorer Jack McInerney (21), starting goalkeeper Zac MacMath (22) and rising defensive stars Amobi Okugo (22), Sheanon Williams (23) and Ray Gaddis (23).

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...r-core-young-players-will-be-key-success-2014

14. EPJr

Philadelphia Union, DC United swap Jeff Parke for Ethan White, flip flop allocation order spots
    [​IMG]

D.C. United have pulled the trigger on yet another bold offseason transaction on Tuesday, finalizing a trade with their I-95 rivals the Philadelphia Union.

United announced on Tuesday that the two clubs have swapped center backs as well as allocation assets, with Union veteran Jeff Parke heading to D.C. and United Homegrown Ethan White (above), along with the Black-and-Red's place atop the allocation order, moving north in return.

As a result, United would move down to Philly's current sixth spot in that list.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ited-swap-jeff-parke-ethan-white-allocation-o

15. EPJr

Philadelphia Union sign Argentine midfielder Cristian Maidana as Designated Player
    [​IMG]

Philadelphia Union have remained quiet throughout the offseason, but an international signing indicates the club is gearing up for 2014.

The club announced Wednesday that it has signed Argentine midfielder Cristian Maidana as a Designated Player. Per MLS and team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Maidana has experience playing on three continents, as the 26-year-old last played in his native country for Argentinos Juniors. Prior to that, he featured for Mexican side Atlante, and has played for European clubs Spartak Moscow and Recreativo de Huelva.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...-sign-argentine-midfielder-cristian-maidana-d

16. EPJr

Did the Philadelphia Union win the 2014 MLS SuperDraft?
    Better Today Than They Were Yesterday

[​IMG]

Philadelphia Union – Andre Blake, Pedro Ribeiro and Kevin Cope are all potential starters. Or, at the very least, they're guys who will eat up first-team minutes as soon as MatchDay 1 of this coming season.

And then with their final pick of the day they took an honest-to-goodness left-footed soccer player in Robbie Derschang. This is pretty much the exact opposite of last year's performance from the Union.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft...id-philadelphia-union-win-2014-mls-superdraft

17. EPJr

Report:
    Philadelphia Union finally come to terms with USMNT midfielder Maurice Edu

[​IMG]

The latest US national team star appears to be on his way to MLS.

Goal.com reported on Friday that the Philadelphia Union’s lengthy pursuit of Maurice Edu has come to an end, with the Stoke City midfielder agreeing to terms with the Union and MLS. He follows in the footsteps of current USMNT mainstays Michael Bradley and Michael Parkhurst, who left European clubs earlier this month for MLS.

The report comes on the heels of Union manager John Hackworth telling media earlier Friday, on opening day of the team’s preseason camp, that he was hoping to have an agreement with Edu finalized any day.

ESPN’s Taylor Twellman reported Thursday that Union CEO Nick Sakiewicz was headed to England to put the final touches on the deal.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...nally-come-terms-usmnt-midfielder-maurice-edu

18. EPJr

2014 Philadelphia Union Preview:
    All the pieces are in place in Chester

[​IMG]

Leave the past in the past: Most of the Peter Nowak-era contracts – including those for guys who weren't on the roster in 2013 – are finally gone. That cap flexibility means John Hackworth was finally able to carve out the roster to his own specs, filling holes in each segment of the field. If it doesn't work, it's on the new coach, not the old one.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...-all-pieces-are-place-chester-armchair-analys

19. truebluefan

Philadelphia Union Win Home Opener vs. New England Revolution

Philadelphia Union (1-0-1, 4 points) defeated the New England Revolution (0-2-0) Saturday at PPL Park in the team's 2014 homeopening match, courtesy of a first-half goal from Sebastien Le Toux, assisted by Leo Fernandes. Zac MacMath earned a shutout, recording three saves on the afternoon.
    Le Toux finished off a run and pass from midfielder Leo Fernandes in the 31st minute, as he slotted a one-touch shot past New England goalkeeper Bobby Shuttlesworth. The goal marked Le Toux' sixth goal in a home opener as the forward/midfielder has provided either a goal or an assist in all five Union home openers.

"We wanted start well at home, and to get a shutout is really important too," Le Toux said postgame. "We take the 1-0 [lead] and it was a great performance by everyone today. I feel like we got off to a good start and I felt relaxed as the game went on. It's fun to score goals. Hopefully I can score more goals later on, and help more the team more. Starting off the season with three points [at home] entails a great start to the year and I want to do everything I can to make sure it continues."

The Union attacked the Revs in the first half, creating a bulk of the chances and just narrowly missed putting a few away. One of note arrived in the 24th minute when Shuttlesworth mishandled a low driven ball into the box that fell to the feet of Le Toux just outside the six-yard box, but defensive pressure from the Revs didn't allow for Le Toux to get a clean hit.

Fernandes, a former Reading United product who started just three games last season, was extremely impressiveand mimicked much of what he displayed during preseason. His inclusion into the match was due in large part to a late scratch for Union captain Brian Carroll, who was left off today's lineup due to "flu like symptoms," disclosed postgame by Union manager John Hackworth.

"I think you saw in the first 10 minutes of the game it was a little shaky," said Hackworth. "The guys haven't trained with those players in those positions all week long but Leo has been in some of preseason activities with these guys. I told Leo that you don't have to be the best player on the field; all you have to do is your job, play your role, manage your minutes and I thought he did a good job with that today."

In all, the Union dominated the stat sheet, holding edge in possession (60-40), attempts on goal (13-5) and shots (10-5). However, postgame it was Hackworth that said in many ways his team could have done even better. The manager sees room to grow and with the talent on this roster, the possibilities are limitless.

"The best way to close out the games is to get the second goal," Hackworth said. "I'll be honest; I don't think we played well the second half. My expectations going out of halftime was that we were going to do the same thing like gain possession, have the highest number of passes. It's hard but we were really determined to rectify the situation last week. The whole time [in the second half] I was urging us to step it up and pick up the pressure. But I feel confident in this group and that will be the next step for us."

This game builds confidence heading into another Eastern Conference clash next Saturday, when the Union travel to Columbus to take on the Crew (6 p.m., The Comcast Network) before closing out the month of March with a return to PPL Park to host the Montreal Impact.

Press release from the Philadelphia Union

20. EPJr

Union Loan Duo To City Islanders
    Hernandez, McLaughlin return to City Island for 2014 season

[​IMG]

Harrisburg City Islanders News Release -- www.cityislanders.com

Friday, March 21, 2014

CHESTER, Pa. -- The Philadelphia Union announced today that the club has loaned two players to the team's official USL PRO affiliate, the Harrisburg City Islanders, for the 2014 USL PRO season. Midfielders Cristhian Hernandez and Jimmy McLaughlin will join the City Islanders ahead of their USL PRO season-opening match on April 5 against the Wilmington Hammerheads. The Union will have the option to recall any of the two players during the loan period.

"Jimmy and Cristhian are still young professionals who need to play in meaningful matches," Union manager John Hackworth said. "We think that going to our USL affiliate Harrisburg City Islanders gives them an opportunity to continue their development under Coach [Bill] Becher while playing in real games and helping the team this season."

http://uslpro.uslsoccer.com/home/796189.html