Pistons vs Pacers brawl

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by Sir Desmond, Nov 19, 2004.

1. 02civic

02civic JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

allnet - i still dont think Artest was scared at all.....if anything i'd say he was mocking Ben. The ref was pushing Artest away from it all. And granted if Artest had wanted to go at Ben the ref wouldnt of been able to hold him back, but thats the thing, Artest was being cool....just allowing the ref to break it up. No doubt Bens a strong dude, but so's Artest, and i'd give him the edge in the "nuts" category

2. purpleb0n9

purpleb0n9 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AllNet:</div><div class="quote_post">For a game that was already over, the foul was pointless and It was a hard foul. Artest wasn't going for the ball at all. Ben got frustrated and pushed Artest, you only had to look at Artest's face when Ben pushed him, he was scared. Anyone would be If Ben Wallace started pushing you. He is one mean guy. Artest If he had a fight with Ben would get broken in half within maybe 10 seconds? It wouldn't last long. There's a reason why every time a player that has pushed Ben, they have ran away within seconds.

Put yourself in Ben Wallace's postion, his team played badly, Indiana counted every Detroit run and then when the game was basically over Ron Artest decides to do a hard foul on you. On top of that Ben had lost his brother last week to cancer, can't you imagine how much emotion he was feeling? he has been through so much. When you have a guy like Artest trying to get you angry, what do you expect?</div>

^ Yeah Ben was frustrated, which is perfectly normal for any NBA player that looks at the scoreboard and finds that his team is being blown by its rival at home. Even professionals lose their heads once in a while, like Ron Artest did too shortly afterwards. But I have to disagree with Artest chickening out because he didn't. Understand that Ron is a little bit psycho/ crazy/ sth wrong upstairs WHEN he loses his temper, he wouldn't take a crap from anybody even if it was Ben... the reason he backed away from Ben was because he didn't want to make a potential one game suspension into a silly 3-5 game suspensions. This is what I like about Ron, he actually tried to use his brain to get him through flared situations. Unfortunately it didn't last long thanks to that fan.

3. Pistons 4 Sho

Pistons 4 Sho JBB JustBBall Member

ALLNET-i have posted this before, but u didn't reply:

Artest never physically retaliated against Wallace. Wallace shoved him by the neck and Artest didn't try and go after him or anything, then there was the scuffle at the scorers table where Wallace kept trying to go after Artest and threw a towel at him and still, Artest did not go after Big Ben. Artest was lying on the scorers table staying out of trouble when all of a sudden a fan threw a beer at him and that is what really set off the major brawl. If that fan never threw a beer, Artest, Wallace, and Jackson would have been ejected and the game would have continued. Things didn't get out of hand until the fan threw the beer.

4. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AllNet:</div><div class="quote_post">Of course I saw the freaking foul, yes Ben went over the top but he was frustrated as any player would be in his situation.</div>

You could say the same thing about Artest after getting pelted by the beer.

5. hungi1115

hungi1115 JBB JustBBall Member

Artest now has all the time he needs to promote his album. lol

6. th3Tru4h

th3Tru4h JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AllNet:</div><div class="quote_post">For a game that was already over, the foul was pointless and It was a hard foul. Artest wasn't going for the ball at all. Ben got frustrated and pushed Artest, you only had to look at Artest's face when Ben pushed him, he was scared. Anyone would be If Ben Wallace started pushing you. He is one mean guy. Artest If he had a fight with Ben would get broken in half within maybe 10 seconds? It wouldn't last long. There's a reason why every time a player that has pushed Ben, they have ran away within seconds.

Put yourself in Ben Wallace's postion, his team played badly, Indiana counted every Detroit run and then when the game was basically over Ron Artest decides to do a hard foul on you. On top of that Ben had lost his brother last week to cancer, can't you imagine how much emotion he was feeling? he has been through so much. When you have a guy like Artest trying to get you angry, what do you expect?</div>

So when the game is almost over, the defensive player of the year is supposed to let up? Check the quote in your sig. Artest not going for the ball? Someone missing the ball doesn't mean he's not even trying to go for it.

Now put yourself in Ron Artest's position, he's taken all this crap lately, and he's just been shoved in the face for a foul that wasn't even hard. And what does he do? He doesn't even do a thing, just lays himself down on the scorers table, takes a breather, you know, to get your head straight. Then some idiot throws a full cup of beer at him and sets him off. When all the media gives you crap, you just got shoved in the face, and a full cup of beer has just been thrown on your face, what do you expect?

7. MR_SAC_KING

MR_SAC_KING JBB JustBBall Member

Saw Highlights of this fight on ESPN.

Damn what a Brawl.Already has my vote on NBA Fight of the Year. [​IMG]

8. openglfx

openglfx JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AznxBaller:</div><div class="quote_post"> However, Artest really had no reason to foul Ben Wallace. They were up by 15 points with 45 seconds left! To me, it was kind of a pointless foul that wasn't even close to being a block.</div>

I have to disagree with you on this one. Until the game is over, no matter how big the league is. If you're a true baller, you will not let the other team have an easy basket no matter what. From what I saw, Ben Wallace was making a big deal out of the hard foul. It was no where near a flagrant. I'd say Ben was just pissed that the Pacer's wooped their asses. As for Ron Artest and the rest of the team going into the fans and kickin some butt, it's really a tossup from right or wrong. I mean as a professional, sure you're supposed to handle it in a professional manner. If you think again though, they're humans. You push em far enough, they'll push u back. Money has nothing to do with how the Pacers reacted. It's only fair. It was obvious the fans were trying to push the limits or Artest and the Pacers. Why the hell would you throw beer at someone?? I mean lucky it was a plastic cup. Imagine if it was a glass bottle and it hit him in the head very hard causing him to lose all conciousness. Then what? I just think the fans were asking for it. Pretty darn sore losers. Just one frickin game, move on and play harder the next game. Why add fuel to the fire.

9. Mag

Mag JBB MacBeth

VIDEO: URL=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6534820/]INSANITY..[/URL]

Scroll down a little, look towards the right, theres a link.. These actions were totally uncalled for. Wallace had no reason to push Artest, and Artest and Wallace shoulda walked away. I never knew Stephen Jackson was like that, I thought he was always, calm, and composed. Both teams should be fined, Artest should be out for atleast 8 games, Jackson for 8 also, Wallace for atleast 5. UNACCEPTABLE. This is what's wrong with the NBA. Security? I didn't see the game, but saw the highlights. The hit Artest got on that fan was insane. He just walked up and punched him. During all this, I only saw 1 police officer. J'O -- no reason to punch anybody. This couldve been as bad as Kermit Washington's punch on Rudy T. The NBA needs to take action..

10. Mag

Mag JBB MacBeth

VIDEO: INSANITY..

Scroll down a little, look towards the right, theres a link.. These actions were totally uncalled for. Wallace had no reason to push Artest, and Artest and Wallace shoulda walked away. I never knew Stephen Jackson was like that, I thought he was always, calm, and composed. Both teams should be fined, Artest should be out for atleast 8 games, Jackson for 8 also, Wallace for atleast 5. UNACCEPTABLE. This is what's wrong with the NBA. Security? I didn't see the game, but saw the highlights. The hit Artest got on that fan was insane. He just walked up and punched him. During all this, I only saw 1 police officer. J'O -- no reason to punch anybody. This couldve been as bad as Kermit Washington's punch on Rudy T. The NBA needs to take action..

11. Erin

Erin JBB JustBBall Member

Hmm, I wonder if Ron was attempting to hype his label... lol j/k. =D

12. Vintage

Vintage Defeating Communism...

Wallace deserves a suspension. He overreacted. It was a hard foul, but there was no reason to retaliate the way he did. Deserves a 1-5 game suspension.

Artest and Jackson deserve to be gone. For la long time. I don't care if someone threw a beer at you. Artest is a punk. He didn't even go after the guy who threw the beer at him; just someone who was laughing.

Jackson seemed to be looking for a reason to get involved.

Both these players deserve at least a 10 game suspension. They not only put themselves at danger, but the fans as well. What happens if kids were down there? The worst part of it was that they weren't attacking the fans who threw the bear. At least 10 games for both of them, and stiff, stiff, fines.

Jermaine O'Neal deserves a 1-5(probably 5) game suspension. He went out of his way to cross the court, and slide over to clock that fan who posed no threat to him.

Piston fans- The Palace should no longer sell beer for the rest of the season. That would send a message to fans. Will it happen? Absolutely not. That would mean less revenue for the Pistons.

Who's at fault? Wallace started the altercation. But it was Artest who caused the major security problem when he went into the stands, putting innocent fans and his team in danger.

For those who are undoubtedly going to come back and say "But Artest was in danger..."

How? Because someone threw a plastic cup of beer at him? He overreacted. He should have let security take action.

I wouldn't be surprised if criminal charges were brought up from this fight.

13. Vintage

Vintage Defeating Communism...

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting th3Tru4h:</div><div class="quote_post">So when the game is almost over, the defensive player of the year is supposed to let up? Check the quote in your sig. Artest not going for the ball? Someone missing the ball doesn't mean he's not even trying to go for it.

Now put yourself in Ron Artest's position, he's taken all this crap lately, and he's just been shoved in the face for a foul that wasn't even hard. And what does he do? He doesn't even do a thing, just lays himself down on the scorers table, takes a breather, you know, to get your head straight. Then some idiot throws a full cup of beer at him and sets him off. When all the media gives you crap, you just got shoved in the face, and a full cup of beer has just been thrown on your face, what do you expect?</div>

Oh...so thats now an acceptable excuse?

Sorry officer, I only pounded the living shit out of him bec. I am stressed out bec. the media protrays me as a thug.

Its the media's fault.... [​IMG]

14. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Where was the security in all of this? This fight went on far, too long and a lot of bystanders got injured in this brawl. The job of the security is to react immediately in these situations and they didn't respond until things already got out of control. Once Wallace and Artest got into a scuffle the security should have bordered the floor like they always do near the end of games.

As for the suspensions and blame, it's hard to put it on one person. When you're in that situation you aren't usually thinking rationally and you are acting on emotion instead of using your head. If you've ever been at a large public function and some idiot throws a bottle and it hits you, your immediate reaction would be to go after the guy.

The whole situation was completely chaotic and we might begin to see changes made with the setup of basketball arenas. Fans and players should not feel threatened during a game and to prevent this from happening again, I think a barrier is going to be placed between players and fans. So no more floor seats and close interaction with players. Unfortunately a few idiots always ruin things for the majority.

I don't think we will see any season long suspensions, because the player union just won't allow it. As far as assault charges plenty of fans are going to get arrested. The camera has tape recording all of them throwing punches, chairs, or beer. The huge guy who sucker punched Fred Jones from behind should be put behind bars. And the guy who came on the court and got decked by Artest and then Jermaine should also be put behind bars. I think Artest should spend a few nights behind bars as well because he went into the stands. I'd be more leniant on SJax because he was trying to protect Artest, but he deserves a 5 to 10 game suspension for hitting a fan. Ben Wallace should get 3 days, and Jermaine O'neal 3 to 5 days for punching a fan.

For all the players who didn't get involved, props to you, and especially Rasheed Wallace who jumped into the crowd to play peace maker and helped clear Artest and SJax out of the stands.

Terrible day for basketball, but I know all of us have Christmas Day circled for the re-match.

15. yanix

yanix JBB JustBBall Member

everything was alright until the fans started to throw stuff at artest. thats just wrong! piston fans are at fault here, just because they won the championship doesnt mean they can do anything they want if they are frustrated. stupid fans like them should be banned for life. and as for artest, it was all good until he climbed up and started bashing peoples skulls in. and wallace overeacted, its not like he was seriously hurt by the foul.

16. Erin

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">For all the players who didn't get involved, props to you, and especially Rasheed Wallace who jumped into the crowd to play peace maker and helped clear Artest and SJax out of the stands.
    </div>

Who would have ever thought that Rasheed Wallace and peacemaker would be used in the same sentance, lol. [​IMG]

17. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Terrible day for basketball, but I know all of us have Christmas Day circled for the re-match.</div>

It's quite possible that the NBA will suspend Artest, Jackson, and O'neal past Christmas day, though, which would sort of mute the expectation for that game.

18. Jesseca328

Jesseca328 JBB JustBBall Member

O'neal, Artest, and Wallace suspended indefinitely but don't know how long, this came from Stern.

19. th3Tru4h

th3Tru4h JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Vintage:</div><div class="quote_post">Artest and Jackson deserve to be gone. For la long time. I don't care if someone threw a beer at you. Artest is a punk. He didn't even go after the guy who threw the beer at him; just someone who was laughing. </div>

You wouldn't care if someone threw beer at you? Bull.

and he was going for the guy he thought, THOUGHT threw the beer. It's not like he gonna go around asking politely for the guy is he?

20. Erin

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Jesseca328:</div><div class="quote_post">O'neal, Artest, and Wallace suspended indefinitely but don't know how long, this came from Stern.</div>

How about a source?