Plan B: If LMA bolts

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Yes! Hibbert would be interesting as a tag team with Robin but he's not an upgrade as a replacement. All the big problems with Robin; his fumbling of rebounds, being slow on his feet, trouble with quick or stretch shooting opponents, well they are the same deficiencies Hibbert has. Robin is much better on offense, similar but not quite as good on help defense.

2. riverman

riverman Writing Team

With Rolo, you know what you're getting and he won't have to play big minutes with Meyers on the roster. With Hibbert, he had a no-show in a playoff series, locker room problems and a pretty big dropoff in production. Rolo had a slump about the same time the whole team had a slump so that can be contagious.

3. WarriorFan

WarriorFan Active Member

The trouble with him is that if he is you 2nd or 3rd best player you are in trouble. He plays exceptionally well when he is surrounded by good talent but looks out of place when the players around him aren't up to par. He is a great defender, I think he should have won dpoy but #2 isn't too bad, but his defense really isn't game changing in the way that a dominant defensive big can be. His offense is built on open shots which are created by the players around him and making the smart pass to someone who is in the right place and can hit a shot. If a defense pays any attention to him, he is shut down pretty easily. I love having him on the Warriors and I'm sure the Warriors will match just about any offer, but he is a great complimentary piece, not someone you build around.

4. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Based on the doom and gloom in the "Wes didn't go all 'Tom Cruise on Oprah' over Portland during his SportsNation segment, therefore he and everyone else must be leaving" thread, I figured we should bring this one back too.

Perhaps Draymond Green is not the answer, but there are some decent suggestions in here. Somewhere. You'll probably have to dig for them, but they're there...

5. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Plan B: Move the team to Seattle.

6. riverman

riverman Writing Team

The Clippers need to move to Seattle and have their own arena for once. Seattle Clippers is a good name as well. They would then become the true North!

7. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    Plan B: Fuck Raymond Felton.

8. PtldPlatypus

I think if LA goes, we start by letting Wes and Rolo walk and dealing Batum for Hibbert. As of that point, we'd be looking at $32M in cap space. I could see us retaining DW1 (having hopefully drafted his brother) for something like $7M/2y, then signing Gerald Green ($22M/3), Al Farouq Aminu ($30M/4), and Paul Millsap ($55M/4) to start at 2-4.

Lillard/Wright/Blake
    Green/CJ
    Aminu/Wright/Crabbe
    Millsap/Leonard
    Hibbert/Kaman

I have no doubt that would be a very competitive team.

9. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

10. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Honestly, I'm going to be extremely bitter towards LA if he leaves. After all the bullshit he spouted about wanting to retire as the best Blazer ever, and that he was only waiting to sign because he wanted the bigger contract, if he leaves he will be a huge piece of shit in my eyes. And I really wish we would have dealt him to Cleveland. At this point I would take Tristan Thompson and Oladipo over a big bunch of cap space.

11. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

LA will become this fanbase's most hated player in the league if he bolts and honestly, I don't think he's mentally strong enough to handle that kind of hate

dviss1 likes this.
  12. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

I don't want LA to leave as much as most here. However, he'd be a FOOL not to sign a 2 year deal with a player option and go to SAS. If he left I wouldn't blame him, hate him, nor boo him when he returns to play against us. I will stand up and cheer. He has gone through 3 rebuilds and has re-signed with us. Why would people hate him for chasing a ring?

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  13. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

You think so? I think he'd be a fool to go to San Antonio. Duncan can't play forever (he just can't). Parker finally showed signs of slowing down. Manu is a ghost. Pop will most likely retire after his guys leave. So how exactly is San Antonio going to be a better situation in a few years? That team has been a dynasty BECAUSE of Duncan/Parker/Pop. Once two of those three are gone, or all three of them, I can see SAS finally hitting a downslide for a while. And let's face it, Aldridge isn't LeBron. He isn't Kobe. He can't single-handedly prop up a team. I'm not convinced that Kawhi and LA will be enough to keep San Antonio in the title hunt.

14. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Do you really think Pop will retire if he nets LA this offseason? Manu retiring will be great. Duncan has 2 years left EASY. Parker was injured. The common denominator is who? POP.

15. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

Aldridge would be a fool to leave. He would be leaving a ton of money on the table. Sign a one year deal here, then sign a five year max next year. That's the smartest and best thing for him to do.

Orion Bailey and illmatic99 like this.
  16. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I'm not sure that's the case. First, the Spurs are going to have to dump some good players to clear space to max LA. Second, he'd be going to a team where Duncan and Ginobili are on their last legs. Yeah, with LA in tow and a re-signed Leonard, they'd probably have a good shot at winning one championship. But, once Duncan goes and Manu will follow. Pops has said he's going to retire when Duncan does. So, LA is left as the not-quite-as-good-as-Duncan replacement with an aging Parker at PG and who knows whom for a coach and he gets to be the goat for a franchise used to winning. Add to that, the Spurs won't have Bird rights on him so they can' t go over the cap to max him out, meaning a new contract probably leaves them strapped for money to spend on other role players. Doesn't sound like all gravy to me.

17. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

I think too much is made of Pop's comments about retiring once Duncan retires. It's him being humble and shifting praise onto one of his players, rather than accepting praise for himself. I suspect he won't be far behind Duncan, but before he goes I think he'll make sure the Spurs have a good replacement coach. That means he'll spend another 2-3 years grooming his successor before he walks into retirement.
    Maybe not - maybe he does drop it all the moment Duncan retires. But I don't take his comments at face value.

dviss1 likes this.
  18. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

He can't do that in SAS?

19. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

No. They wouldn't have his bird rights.

Best case scenario would be for him to play here one year, then sign a four year max with them next year, but his raises would be 4.5% instead of 7.5% each year and he wpuldnt have that fifth year at 40 or so million.

20. PtldPlatypus

The theory is that the cap will be jumping up so high next summer they won't need bird rights.